Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182412 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1095 on: January 25, 2017, 08:18:28 am »

Angloriligion defends itself? Surprising, Euroriligion defines itself by POB, unsurprising

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just wanted to post this tho

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 25, 2017, 03:27:52 pm »

Has Provate Eye always been £1.80? I thought it was upwards of two quid...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1097 on: January 25, 2017, 05:48:31 pm »

Nah, Private Eye was £1.50 for a long time, now it's £1.80. Don't think it's ever been £2

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 25, 2017, 10:59:54 pm »

Having worked night-shift for two years at Sainsburys and read Private Eye during my breaks, I probably should have known that.

I'll blame it on the fact it's fortnightly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 26, 2017, 12:54:47 am »

Having worked night-shift for two years at Sainsburys and read Private Eye during my breaks, I probably should have known that.

I'll blame it on the fact it's fortnightly.
Or that you never, ever, paid for it..?   ;)

(@LW, in passing: it's "slew of", not "sleuth of", in the context of whatever post it was that you said that...)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1100 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:38 am »

Very right

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 26, 2017, 06:11:58 am »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:13:53 am by wierd »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1102 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:25 am »

"The institutions upon which that world relies were so often conceived or inspired by our two nations working together," she is due to say.
Explains why the world is so fucked lmao

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 26, 2017, 06:34:04 am »

I know the PERFECT way to stop this unholy union.

Just remind the Brits that they are a very proud people, and ask them if "If you can't beat them, join them" sounds like a good mantra. Throw in some lively imagery of George III, and the Boston tea party. Add a few more cameos of things like 'Here Comes Honey BooBoo' and 'Jackass'.

Americanism-- EVERYWHERE.  So long Keeping Up Appearances--- You will be replaced on BBC with some horrible American supernatural romance series.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 26, 2017, 07:07:01 am »

Watch Sam and Dean Enfield battle demons in the name of the Crown
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1105 on: January 26, 2017, 12:13:19 pm »

I know the PERFECT way to stop this unholy union.
Reviving the Spanish Empire?

Just remind the Brits that they are a very proud people, and ask them if "If you can't beat them, join them" sounds like a good mantra.
Lmao that's just the remain slogan

Throw in some lively imagery of George III, and the Boston tea party. Add a few more cameos of things like 'Here Comes Honey BooBoo' and 'Jackass'.
Americanism-- EVERYWHERE.  So long Keeping Up Appearances--- You will be replaced on BBC with some horrible American supernatural romance series.
Those are easily the least offensive things in regards to Americanism tbh

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 26, 2017, 01:39:39 pm »

I'd certainly rather follow America's lead than Germany's (or, kek, Sweden's), particularly now that Trump's gotten in and begun improving things.
Though I'd prefer if they kept their guns to themselves.
Anyway, I look forward to seeing what Friday's meeting between May and Trump brings.

Yeah, who needs a climate anyway. Let us all follow the US' glorious example and deny scientific consensus and its implications. With some luck we can get a couple more decades of delicious cheap energy going, then when the fallout starts hurting the most vulnerable regions the most we could perhaps throw up some nice border walls and keep the nastier externalities away.

For example:
Climate Change Hastened Syria's Civil War
Human-induced drying in many societies can push tensions over a threshold that provokes violent conflict
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps you should look up the term 'lifeboat Britain'. I think you'll like it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 26, 2017, 07:40:37 pm »

Yeah, who needs a climate anyway. Let us all follow the US' glorious example and deny scientific consensus and its implications. With some luck we can get a couple more decades of delicious cheap energy going, then when the fallout starts hurting the most vulnerable regions the most we could perhaps throw up some nice border walls and keep the nastier externalities away.
Interestingly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38760792

As to "lifeboat britain", I'm mostly being sent to the RNLI, although it seems to be a reddit thing that I may peruse later, but I was minded to make a comparison to the fate of HMHS Brittanic in a documemtary not long ago.  There's plenty of analagy available for both sides of the argument to exploit, for example the E-deck portals being left open, but my take-home is that most of the deaths were in the first two lifeboats launched (prematurely) with mostly stokers/firemen and got drawn into the rising blades of a propeller, probably because the water had rushed through the supposedly closed-off boilerman's tunnel between boilerooms was left unexpectedly open (and thus also making the E-deck portals an issue that they might not otherwise have been).

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 27, 2017, 05:10:05 am »

Interestingly: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38760792

As to "lifeboat britain", I'm mostly being sent to the RNLI, although it seems to be a reddit thing that I may peruse later, but I was minded to make a comparison to the fate of HMHS Brittanic in a documemtary not long ago.  There's plenty of analagy available for both sides of the argument to exploit, for example the E-deck portals being left open, but my take-home is that most of the deaths were in the first two lifeboats launched (prematurely) with mostly stokers/firemen and got drawn into the rising blades of a propeller, probably because the water had rushed through the supposedly closed-off boilerman's tunnel between boilerooms was left unexpectedly open (and thus also making the E-deck portals an issue that they might not otherwise have been).

It's primarily a thing from Gwynne Dyer's book Climate Wars. I could try to look for a video where he explains it if you want or can't find it yourself.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1109 on: January 27, 2017, 10:39:29 am »

I don't think anyone was referring to environmental policy, and I'm sure this is purely a hypothetical as given the choice between following the USA or Germany, we'd all much rather pick none and be the UK. Germany is no example to follow either, we would be replacing lazy Americanism with vapid Merkelism. Look at the example Germany sets; instead of humanitarian aid, take selfies with migrants - all to show the world how virtuous and wise you are, without needing to put any of the effort and sacrifice needed to be virtuous and wise. So when things inevitably get cocked up by your ineptitude, you just hide the wounds and allow Europe to bleed - shutting down all Germany's nuclear plants because hurr duur nuclear science scary is as much a detriment to basic common sense as Trump, Germany now has more coal plants operational that it has in two decades. It really is impressive when a green candidate turns out to be blackest coal, suckling on Putin's gas for support. Oh and she's stopped now because her policies put too much strain on Germany's energy grid and raised costs too high. What a great success for the world to emulate!

More seriously though the UK cannot follow the USA's steps when it comes to energy policy. We do not have a vast store of coal, gas or oil to exploit, as the Americans do with their Texan friends. We are running along similar tracks in regards to the nation-state versus the Sweden >yes party that has commanded Europe for a few years. Fortunately we're going big with nuclear and I hope succeeding parties in the UK continue this policy. One thing to learn from failed projects in the UK in developing renewable sources of energy is that our failures often go unnoticed because unlike Germany, we did not rush headlong whilst ignoring the simple realities of power generation. There's also something fortunate in our failures in that they show that with time, development of power-storage and rising costs of gas and oil, renewable energy sources can one day become economical, reliable and environmentally responsible. Certain failures like biofuels showcase how green is not always green even when working as intended; you should not kowtow to concensus, it is rather dangerous to believe in whatever consensus is when all it takes is one correct person regardless of consensus to advance scientific research. Seems obvious but it is worth pointing out anyways that scientific breakthroughs often act in spite of scientific consensus, competely changing how we see everything ten times over :P

On the topic of border walls, more BAOs and maritime patrols does the job better for immigration control. We only really have a need for walls in order to control flooding, erosion and land loss from rising sea levels. The French did build an immigration wall with England and they made the English pay for it which I'm sure the Americans would approve, and I think the UK would agree such funds spent helping the French is beneficial to both of our nations. That's nothing compared to the Japanese kaiju wall

Perhaps you should look up the term 'lifeboat Britain'. I think you'll like it.
~o.o~
Can't find it I'm afraid. From the sounds of the term I'm guessing it has something to do with many of the billions of people who would be displaced in a catastrophic disaster such as a global famine or drought seeking for stable nations to settle, such as the UK, or lifeboat Britain.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 126