Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181912 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1560 on: May 01, 2017, 08:00:38 am »

Just checking

When everyone here said assimilation... did they mean integration or assimilation?

I want to be fair as there is a huge difference but they are similar enough to be confused with one another.

There isn't any kind of noteworthy difference. In the end, integration into a nation means assimilation the nation. The kind of people who thinks otherwise are the kind of people who thinks culture only pertains to food and music.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:26 am »

Just checking

When everyone here said assimilation... did they mean integration or assimilation?

I want to be fair as there is a huge difference but they are similar enough to be confused with one another.

There isn't any kind of noteworthy difference. In the end, integration into a nation means assimilation the nation. The kind of people who thinks otherwise are the kind of people who thinks culture only pertains to food and music.

Assimilation is to what degree someone's culture, religion, and beliefs are molded to that of the society they are in.

While Integration is to what degree are they included, can navigate it, can conduct themselves, intermingle, and at least follow the precepts / Be respectful of others.

Typically an assimilated culture is also somewhat integrated (Well ok, SOME of the time), and no integrated culture can avoid some degree of assimilation (it is impossible and not entirely undesirable as cultural exchange helps fight stagnation)... But there is a very significant difference. Mostly in what you are trying to accomplish, or rather what your goal is.

When Canada forced Native Children to go to special schools... That was forced assimilation. Not forced integration.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:02:40 am by Neonivek »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:24 am »

When Canada forced Native Children to go to special schools... That was forced assimilation. Not forced integration.

This is the reverse situation from wanting immigrants to assimilate; e.g. the immigrants forcing the natives to assimilate.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 01, 2017, 08:32:12 am »

This is the reverse situation from wanting immigrants to assimilate; e.g. the immigrants forcing the natives to assimilate.

Well... Sort of.

Since according to Canadian Law the Natives were never conquered and we are two separate societies that have chosen to co-exist. So this would more similar to if the USA abducted Mexican Children and forced them to attend a harsh Orwellian business school.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:34:30 am by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1564 on: May 01, 2017, 09:01:56 am »

Since according to Canadian Law the Natives were never conquered and we are two separate societies that have chosen to co-exist. So this would more similar to if the USA abducted Mexican Children and forced them to attend a harsh Orwellian business school.
So besides the whole encroaching military occupation and subsequent administration and establishment of law over a seized territory involving the crushing of rebellions agitating for independence with the inevitable creep of colonists and the betrayal of promises for the ceding of land

No conquering
wat

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 01, 2017, 09:18:56 am »

So besides the whole encroaching military occupation and subsequent administration and establishment of law over a seized territory involving the crushing of rebellions agitating for independence with the inevitable creep of colonists and the betrayal of promises for the ceding of land

No conquering
wat
A bit like corruption. It's not corruption if it's not against the law!

It is some backwards logic that mostly smells of recreationist history... sort of...

But there are important reasons for this legally that actually matter in a court of law. So it is more like "This is how it should have gone! So we are going to uphold that legally"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:20:29 am by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 01, 2017, 09:33:42 am »

Assimilation
Integration

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:34 am »

Assimilation
Integration

So you're saying integration is apartheid? That's fucked up, man.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 01, 2017, 10:10:58 am »

You know the story about those 3 aspirant mathematicians who refused to integrate? None of them got a pass.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 03, 2017, 01:48:14 am »

I think that both terms are vague enough that you really need to have someone define what he means by either rather than pick one.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 03, 2017, 07:21:48 am »

Use assimilate if you're arguing against a conservative, use integrate if you're arguing against a liberal. Simple!

United Forenia Forever!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 03, 2017, 10:11:15 am »

I think that both terms are vague enough that you really need to have someone define what he means by either rather than pick one.

We defined them twice. The only person who was "confused" intentionally mixed up the definition as a joke.

I think everyone here knows the difference by now.

In fact the UK Government knows the difference because the programs created to help foreigners "fit in" are called integration. (which given the UK is 'generally' Conservative, that says something)

Use assimilate if you're arguing against a conservative, use integrate if you're arguing against a liberal. Simple!

I think they will honestly catch on.

When you start talking about strong separation of Church and State (which is Pro Integration and Con Assimilation) things start to become a tiny bit more obvious.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 10:36:42 am by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1572 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:21 pm »

We defined them twice. The only person who was "confused" intentionally mixed up the definition as a joke.
English definition of integration assimilation:
The absorption and integration of people, ideas, or culture into a wider society or culture.

I know I will die before I see you post a source for anything

Viewing it in regards to Brexit, it kind of makes sense, no? They took back 2 at the loss of 3.
Perhaps, but it's not a perfect fit - more a description of events than an explanation of things, moreover there is some difficulties in especial respect with the UK since it's gov is anti global institutions, yet in favour of free trade. Thus it has picked all three, but goes against political globalism, whether the two can be separated remains to be seen

Also, funny that Farage accepts that result, but wouldn't accept it if it was reversed. Can't have it both ways.
'But wouldn't accept it if it was reversed?' What do you mean by that? Farage could hardly trigger article 50 if he lost the referendum, and likely wouldn't live to see a second one had he lost

This is a far cry from people who have lost and are actively trying to forget that fact - after abusing the rules to boot. Remain lost a fight stacked in their favour, now we just need to get those Tory MPs prosecuted for good measure and all is just. Fingers crossed we can even get Cameron, but given that Blair's still free, sadly unlikely

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 03, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »

The absorption and integration of people, ideas, or culture into a wider society or culture.

Sure I'll post a source... There done. I quoted you. Notice how they are different? there you go.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 03, 2017, 12:29:12 pm »

Sure I'll post a source... There done. I quoted you. Notice how they are different? there you go.

ftfy
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 126