Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: {SG} Success Is A Choice  (Read 2037 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
{SG} Success Is A Choice
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:17:21 am »

“I know what you’re thinking: ‘Some chick just walks into my store and offers me the deal of a lifetime, no strings attached? You gotta be kidding me; there's no deal as good as this.’. Well, I’m here to tell you that there is! … A deal, as good as this, that is. Sir, you have an opportunity to stock the future of dieting in your very store! Pilít Berries rejuvenate your body, kill harmful cells, and help fight against cancer. I’ve got a trunk of them in my car and I'll part with them for a mere $199.99. What do you say?”

Florescent lights shine on aisles of snacks and cheap toys. Outside the petrol station, a blizzard rages in the dark. Your Ford Fiesta is covered in snow. The clerk chews on his beef jerky.
“I’ll pass. Diesel's 4.50.”

You open your purse and root around inside it. Everything will be okay. You are on the ground floor of your Unway business. You are on the path to the American Dream.

In your bag, you have $.43.
You have 150km left before you arrive at the next Unway conference.
The Fiesta is out of fuel.

What's your name and what are you gonna do?
Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:20:25 am by Fniff »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {SG} Success Is A Choice
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:30:35 pm »

Eat the Pilít Berries, gain there super heath, anti free radicals, body deoxadising power.
Then lets try tieing our cars jumper cables to the back of a truck an get a tow.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:50:24 pm »

Don't eat the supply! That's like Rule One of being an Unway dealer.

Now what was Rule Two? Uh... don't take no for an answer! Offer membership! Premium membership! Offer to initiate him into forbidden secrets of marketing in return for him buying our tat. You see, the idea is that the profits from all the people beneath him add up, and he gets a percentage of everybody he initiates into forbidden secrets of marketing, and then...

Of course, only do that if he doesn't bite for a lesser amount of merchandise to redistribute as the next link in the chain. Offer that first. Like 4 and a half dollars' worth of merchandise.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:53:43 pm by Harry Baldman »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

Quote from: Harry Baldman
Now what was Rule Two? Uh... don't take no for an answer! Offer membership! Premium membership! Offer to initiate him into forbidden secrets of marketing in return for him buying our tat. You see, the idea is that the profits from all the people beneath him add up, and he gets a percentage of everybody he initiates into forbidden secrets of marketing, and then...
You lean over the counter and touch his hand (Jolt client with physical touch, Unway Tips and Tricks VHS Tape Vol. 4).

“Listen, I know guys like you field offers like this all the time (Encourage and boost the client’s confidence, ‘The Only Way is Unway’ Conference 2011) but did they offer exclusive premium membership?

He nods. You bite your lip.

“Right! Right, that’s… Yes. Well, see, with the benefits of our membership within the company (Never ever mention the name ‘Unway’ to clients, ‘Setting The Record Straight – The REAL Unway Story’), all the profits you get from selling our products gets sent straight to you! And anyone you initiate into the company, you get a cut of the profits too. Sounds like a tempting offer, right?”

He shrugs. You try to read his face, but it’s like initiating a staring contest with a poster.

Quote from: Harry Baldman
Of course, only do that if he doesn't bite for a lesser amount of merchandise to redistribute as the next link in the chain. Offer that first. Like 4 and a half dollars' worth of merchandise.

Shit, you should have done that first. Why didn’t you do that first?

You scratch the back of your head. “How about… How about I sell you four and a half bucks worth of the berries, then you can redistribute it as the next link in the chain. That way, you get a slice of the action without spending too much cash.”

”Lady, we don’t allow tabs in this store.”

“But, but you’ll make twice the cash in a flash! (Unway Motto)”

”We still don’t take tabs.”

Quote from: Funk
Eat the Pilít Berries, gain there super heath, anti free radicals, body deoxadising power.
Then lets try tieing our cars jumper cables to the back of a truck an get a tow.

“Well!”

You storm out, into the snow. The attendant yells at you from the door, but he’s too chicken to go outside. It’s blinding white and the ground crunches as you march towards the Fiesta. You pop the trunk and take out a bottle of Pilít Berries and the jumper cables. Rule One: don’t eat the merchandise. But sometimes, you have to make the rules.
As you chug it, you look up at the sky and see an aurora right above. The bitter berry-juice slides down your throat as you realize it’s the first time you’ve ever seen an aurora in your life. The bottle drops on the ground and sinks into the snow.

”You gotta pay for the diesel, ma’am.”

A dazzling smudge across the sky, like the devil's finger through frosted glass. You wonder how such an otherworldly and beautiful thing could happen in a shithole like this.

”Look, you’ll freeze out there!”

For once, you feel like you’re where you need to be. Then it fades with the aurora.

You turn to the attendant and hold up the jumper cables.

“You got a truck?”

”No. Why do I stick my neck out for these people? Cave her skull in with a hammer. No, no, that’s wrong. There’d be evidence. Though, the snowdrifts are pretty bad tonight… Nah.”

You tilt your head.

“Pardon?”

”I said, I don’t have a truck!”

“No, after that.”

”… I didn’t say anything. She's nuts. Is she on something?”

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:32:50 pm »

Beat him with the jumper cables. Just like Dad used to do/
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:21:20 pm »

Maybe it's just an aurora-based variant of lunacy. Except this is like a blood aurora. Which is probably like a blood moon, except this one hasn't been proven to exist by modern science, so people are way more screwed if this shows up.

Scratch chin thoughtfully and get the tire iron from the trunk. And keep an eye out! Work on that mindsight.

Eventually propose a truce. See, either you're gonna do a fair and equitable exchange of berries for fuel, or you're gonna be here all night. Talking to him. Bothering him. Reading all the magazines in the magazine shelf. Trying repeatedly to buy all kinds of things for 43 cents.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:40:52 pm »

Blood aurora. You like that. It sounds like a death metal band. You make a note to use ‘blood aurora’ in conversation.

You scoop up a box of bottles and pile on the jumper cables. You scratch your chin, then grab the tire iron in one hand and keep the box in the other. You walk over, focusing on the attendant. You notice that when he speaks, his lips aren’t moving and his voice fades in and out if you stop concentrating. It’s like his voice is a frequency and you’re tuning into it.

”Is this bitch for real? Jesus, did Gale send her?”

Just as he says ‘Gale’, you get a flash of someone with a scarred face in a lumber coat. You place the box on the counter and start flicking through the magazines, starting with Alpha Male. He walks over and crosses his arms. This time, he’s talking.

”Lady, you have got to get out of here.Why did she go for the magazines? Specifically the magazines…

”Look, it’s a cold night. You wouldn’t leave a girl out in the cold, would you?”

You point at the 10 cent candies, on a clearly marked display case.

”Those are 10 cents, right?”

”No-one’s this confident unless they’re sucking Gale’s cock… Fucking trucker mafia. Yes.”
When he said that thing about Gale, you got quite an unpleasant image involving you and the scarred man in a truck container filled with guns. You cringe.

”I... I'll, I’ll take two of the red ones, one of the green ones, and a blue one. Hey, if you split them into quarters, can I buy one for three cents?” You put down the Alpha Male and reach for another magazine, Beautician’s Corner.

”I’m going to have to ask you to leave the store..She’s getting close to the stash.

”Listen, you and I both know I’m going to still hang around. Annoying you. Pestering you. I’m sad you don’t like me, but I’m a businesswoman at heart and I know leverage when I see it. So, how about I offload these berries to you, you cover my fuel costs, and we part ways?”

"Keep talking, lunatic. It’ll be spring when they find your body fifteen miles down the creek, no fingerprints. Question is, when to strike…"

You smile.

With a quick hand, you grab the jumper cable and whip him in the head with it. He’s 50 pounds your senior and you were never good in a fight, but surprise counts for a lot. He falls onto the tiled floor with a clatter.

He’s dazed on the ground, but he could be up in a few seconds. The only advantage you had was surprise; now all you have is a headstart. Maybe you could tie him up, but that’s risky – he looks strong. You could cut your losses and run to the car, but what’s this about a stash?

Besides, this is the closest you’ve gotten to a sale and goddammit if you’re not going to see it through to the end.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »

Man, fuck the sales. Jump into the car and floor it!
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:03:03 pm »

The sky is blood! The hidden gods must be honoured.. with iron an blood an berries.

Beat him a little with the tire iron and empty the till, then start asking about where he's hideing stuff.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:11:52 pm »

That might get us shot or worse! We're not good at fighting and I don't think that our headstart will do very much.

Nay, if a prey we must seek then it shall be one we can defeat with ease in fair combat!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 02:57:18 am »

We should at lest empty the till..

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:58:27 am »

There's no time! I don't think our jumper cable would stun the large man long enough for us to empty the till. I mean, we could probably maybe grab a wad of cash and maybe still make it? getting into a fight we're unlikely to win for some cash that we can rob from other, weaker people is a tad bit risky, no?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 09:24:19 am »

Whack him with the Tire Iron, Hit him while he's down.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 10:03:02 am »

[Rage Roll: 5 + 4 = 9 – 1 = 8, Mixed Result] You smack him upside the head with the tire iron, the jolt riding up your arm. He screams and crawls away, holding his jaw. You lean over the counter and grab a wad of cash from the till. You run out, stuffing the bills into your bag.

”Goddammit, it hurts! Where is it, where did it go...”

You dive into the Fiesta. The keys drop down from the sunscreen into your hand and you thrust them into the ignition. The engine rumbles but splutters at the last second. You look back at the door and see a silhouette holding a shotgun.

”Breath in, count to three, breath out.”

The backwindow explodes and shards rain on the seats. You duck behind the wheel and turn the keys as hard as you can. The engine starts up with a purr. You stamp on the accelerator and turn towards the exit.

”No, no, you’re not getting away from me, fucker!

You hear the pump slide back. The passenger window shatters and sprays glass all over you. You scream and the car swerves back and forth, clipping the mirror on a wall. Finally you’re on the road. The silhouette, fading in the blizzard, rests the shotgun on his shoulder.

”License plate, 46R-AK-95.”

You drive. You don’t know far or how long. The blizzard means you can’t see five feet in front of you. The wind blows in from the shattered windows and you’re freezing. You’re on a highway out of town. There’s an SUV ahead of you, and as soon as you get close you realize the driver is… in an intimate situation with the passenger. You close your eyes and try to tune out of it, but it’s too much and considering how five minutes ago you almost got your head blown off and you can’t even think straight right now and you can hear them at it and

”Ooh, that’s the stuff, that’s the stuff… Shit, he looked a lot prettier at the truck stop.”

You pull over, lean out the passenger window, and puke for a whole minute. Stupid, stupid, childish tears.
Then you burst into childish tears.

Spoiler: Some New Rules (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 10:27:53 am »

Find a small out of the way. Get a job as a waitress. Have crazy hijinks when vampires reveal themselves to the world.

Ahem. How far is the next piece of civilisation? Now that we have some money, I think it would be good to find somewhere warm to mull things over, maybe with food and a bed involved.
Pages: [1] 2 3