Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 250431 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2016, 11:57:24 pm »

There hasn't been much discussion of it that I've seen, but this supercapacitor goo looks interesting. They're saying between 1,000 and 10,000 times higher performance than current supercaps (making it better density than Li-ion, possibly competitive with gasoline). The problem starts to become the ultra-high-energy power supplies you'd need to charge them rapidly.

The goo is apparently an electrolyte and can work with existing supercap electrodes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2016, 02:47:58 pm »

There hasn't been much discussion of it that I've seen, but this supercapacitor goo looks interesting. They're saying between 1,000 and 10,000 times higher performance than current supercaps (making it better density than Li-ion, possibly competitive with gasoline). The problem starts to become the ultra-high-energy power supplies you'd need to charge them rapidly.

The goo is apparently an electrolyte and can work with existing supercap electrodes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2016, 03:09:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »

REVERSING AGEING TIME HUMAN TRIALS IN 10ish YEARS
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2016, 06:58:21 pm »

REVERSING AGEING TIME HUMAN TRIALS IN 10ish YEARS

Man it would suck to be 80 right now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »

There are already human trials of several possible anti-aging molecules that work in mice, so it's unlikely that the current one is the one that's going to prove to be "the one".

As for costs, there's always the possibility that the poor miss out on the advances due to cost. But there's another angle: giving the treatment might be less costly to the State per person than providing elderly medical care. After all:

According to one study (Banarto, McClellan, Kagy and Garber, 2004), 30% of all Medicare expenditures are attributed to the 5% of beneficiaries that die each year, with 1/3 of that cost occurring in the last month of life. 

So, ~15 years of elderly care account for 2/3rds of costs, that last year accounts for 1/3 of total costs, which is about 7 times higher (per year) than the average for the first 15 years. Say that a "youth" drug can delay aging such that people live until 120, then medicare can continue at the lower rate for 55 years per person instead of 15, before the "final year" spike in costs. Average yearly costs per person would therefore be much lower.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:28:59 pm by Reelya »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2016, 07:17:04 pm »

while water doesn't 'wear out', the pumps/turbines do.

Actually, wear and tear can be factored out if you EM-functionalize carbon and mix it into the material you're using to make the pumps/turbines, they don't.

This is the main reason I'm trying to penetrate pre-existing industries. It is incredibly difficult.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »

You guys like big robots? What am I saying, of course you do, everybody likes big robots.

Have some then.

Can't seem to find much beyond this, but what was shown in those two short videos looks pretty damn cool and promising, can't wait to see where they take this (fingers crossed for even bigger robots!)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2016, 07:52:18 pm »

Images look interesting, but no video for me...  *sigh*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2016, 06:22:09 am »

Huh, ok, found a YT one, have that then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m0ZadoooI0
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 18, 2016, 03:43:10 pm »

So... Patlabor time?

Patlabor time.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:07 am »

So... Patlabor time?

Patlabor time.
But you and I, we are futurists...

Hey, sign me up for Patlabor time. Of all the futures we could have ended up in, that one's not the worst for sure.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2016, 05:00:38 am »

http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/12/new-thermoelectrics-with-zt-over-7.html?m=1

New high efficiency thermocouples. It's exciting stuff.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 28, 2016, 06:21:35 am »

The Technical University of Eindhoven is funding a research project into realizing the use of iron as a fuel.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/stoppen-we-straks-ijzer-in-de-tank~a4440400/

Article translation
It could very well be a thing in the future: A car stops at a refueling station, and puts a cartridge of 10kg of rust powder in the pump, and gets a cartridge of 7.5kg of iron powder in return, with which his car can drive another few hundred kilometers.

Cars tanking iron - it might seem like a weird idea, but using metal fuels really is very plausible, according to researchers Niels Deen and Philip de Goey from Eindhoven University, especially for heavy transport, and for ships.

De Goey, professor in combustion technology says "iron is a great carrier of energy. Just like gasoline and diesel, iron can store a lot of energy in a small volume.
Finely ground up iron readily burns, and realeases a lot of energy. The combustion product is rust, which can be turned back into iron and water, by passing hydrogen through it at high temperatures.
"If this hydrogen is made with electricity from solar and wind power, you have a durable, sustainable fuel." says Deen, professor in multiphase and reactive flows.

Iron is a good energy carrier. It can store much more energy per kilogram than for instance the lithium-ion batteries used in modern electric cars.
Using iron would benefit long distance transport, on land and on sea most, as batteries are no option there.
"Right now a cargo truck has 600l of diesel tanks. If you want to replace that with batteries, you'd need 40 tons of battery, which is more than the cargo capacity of most trucks."

Hey - that's not half bad an idea. It would use hydrogen, without having to install volatile hydrogen tanks on cars. You'd only use it in the rust reprocessing plants.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »

How would powder fuels be transported through an engine however? Is there a medium in which the iron would be suspended?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 158