Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 35564 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »

Buy some deadly, poisonous scorpions for experimentation. (I was thinking we should blast them with radiation or something?)
+1 try to train them as well.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 06:50:02 pm »

You take a stroll over to the library where you go to a very convenient website that includes a selection of very venomous scorpions. You end up paying $60 for two lethally venomous scorpions. You head back to your garage where you wait for them to arrive.
Eventually you exit your abode to see a box with miniature holes and extreme amounts of warning signs on it.

You don't really know how to proceed at this point. You have no equipment to actually handle the scorpions without dying, and have no proper things to perform science on the creatures. You could try whatever you were planning without proper safety or science equipment, but that could lead to failure or even death. But as long as you remember to feed them every couple of days (Food for 3 days costs $5), you should be able to keep them for the foreseeable future.

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2016, 06:57:43 pm »

Use the scorpions to end this existential nightmare check the prices for the appropriate safety equipment
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2016, 07:01:50 pm »

We could probably find an old aquarium to keep them in if we're persistent enough at dumpster-diving, or use our new welder to make an enclosure using auto glass (we can "borrow" it from an abandoned car, there must be one around somewhere in a neighborhood as trashy as ours) and bits of metal. Maybe from that same car.

Once we do we can find some way to extract their venom and make large amounts of it, or try to design an antivenom to sell, depending on how evil we are.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:18 pm »

Sell the liberal-arts portions of our brain to SCIENCE!!.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »

We could probably find an old aquarium to keep them in if we're persistent enough at dumpster-diving, or use our new welder to make an enclosure using auto glass (we can "borrow" it from an abandoned car, there must be one around somewhere in a neighborhood as trashy as ours) and bits of metal. Maybe from that same car.

Once we do we can find some way to extract their venom and make large amounts of it, or try to design an antivenom to sell, depending on how evil we are.
+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »

You really wish you could sell the liberal-arts portion of your brain. What a freeloader! Expecting to live off of your science! Pshaw!
But unfortunately the technology just isn't there. Yet.

You take a crowbar that was just lying in the streets and find a suitable car for borrowing glass from. You pry off the various pieces of glass from the car, one at a time, bringing each one back to the garage. Eventually you think you have enough glass to assemble a terrarium to house the scorpions. You take your welder, the glass, and get to work!

The terrarium turns out okay. You pile some dirt in it as well as other things that you think scorpions would like. You're a scientist, not a zookeeper! Once this is done, you very, very carefully (and quickly) dump the scorpions into the terrarium, and they start skittering around doing scorpion things. Once again, you're not a zookeeper.

In your routine trip to the library, you decide to research the cost of safety equipment for scorpion handling. It turns out a pair of Stinger-resistant gloves cost $40. You're sure there's probably other safety stuff out there, but you think that those gloves would cover the basics.

You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 07:53:19 pm »

Wow, those are a lot cheaper than I thought they would be. Let's not buy them just yet though, we need the money to feed the scorpions(and ourselves)

Also, come up with names for the scorpions.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2016, 08:01:10 pm »

Buy gloves. Go to library and google scorpion milking and similar simple techniques. Capture venom and sell to shady guys perfect citizens that totally do completely 'legal' things, likely to be found in back-alleys as hooded and dark figures.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:24 pm »

+1 to venom-black-market
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 08:10:01 pm »

Buy gloves. Go to library and google scorpion milking and similar simple techniques. Capture venom and sell to shady guys perfect citizens that totally do completely 'legal' things, likely to be found in back-alleys as hooded and dark figures.

+1, if possible

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »

Name the smaller scorpion Nineteen and the larger one Eighty-four.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 08:54:43 pm »

Aww, little Nineteen and Eighty-four. The best scorpions. But you can't get distracted. Science awaits!

You find a brick-and-mortar establishment selling the gloves and buy them for $35 (There was a sale!). That's the end of your savings. You head back to the library and determine the best possible way to harvest the venom is either getting them to 'sting' a container or electrostimulation. You end up concluding that the former option is the only viable one with your budget. Going to another store, you spend the remaining $5 on 6 small glass vials and a roll of parafilm.

You cover each vial with a small amount of parafilm, equip the gloves, and spend the rest of the day trying to gather venom. A bit after lunch, you decide to finish up, getting a total 2 ml of lethal scorpion venom. But the problem with venom is that it's hard to keep - without proper measures, you're only going to be able to keep this venom for a few days. Hopefully you'll be able to offload it by then.

You spend the rest of the day scouring the streets looking for buyers. In a very lucky turn of events, you somehow manage to find a buyer. They buy the venom for $60. They don't give you any contact information, so finding them again would be pretty difficult.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 09:01:34 pm »

Buy food. We don't want 19 and 84 to die of starvation, do we?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2016, 09:05:31 pm »

Well, we didn't make up the lost money, but surely scorpions can make their poison thing regularly, right? Google that too, I suppose.
If we can make poison regularly, buy some food for the scorpions, and get some more poison, I guess. Also, just use craigslist to sell the poison, make a free email account for said buyers from craigslist to contact us with. On our off time while waiting for the scorpions to rebuild their poison, might as well go dumpster diving looking for trashed appliances, scrap metal, and whatever else that might be interesting; science can be dirty, okay?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30