Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 28087 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Jao had been a bit busy trying to reel his rope in from the depths of the sandy pit he'd just rescued the frogman from, but finally came over to the general conversation. He didn't really want to, but he was hungry. He poked one of the monkeybee bodies with his foot as he came, decided against it, and instead took a slug and bit its head off.

"Hello, frogman. I am pleased to be in your miserable country. Thank you for your local delicacies. Where the hell are we? How do we get away from here?"

He tried to make sense of what this eejit frog fellow was saying, and tried to ask for some bread, cheese, and ale. And a bed for the night. And the nearest port. He also grabs the last slug. Eat it appreciatively before asking the above questions. Offer the frogthing one of my handbuilt arrows in thanks.

I wonder if these frogchaps appreciate poetry, or are just philistines?

((save the feat/stats))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Moubus chuckles evolve into a full out laugh, seeing her squirm with distress at the slugs. "Ah hah hah! Poor little rabbit." He says, a tinge of genuine sympathy in his voice. Moving over to the frog man, he slides one of the slugs off the stick and pops it into his mouth, crushing it onto goo between his molars as he considers the surrounding Fauna. Grabbing a small plant from the jungle floor, he pulls it from the dirt, roots and all, showing it to the frog man he points to his mouth. "You know, can we eat stuff like this?" he says, head cocked to one side with a raised eyebrow.

Mmm, slugs. Lots of protein!

Grik seems to consider your question. Then, he reaches for the root, is handed it, and shakes it out. He search through the dirt until he finds a long, slimy worm. Which he offers to Moubu.

"Gorp?"

"Um! I meant, like, plants!" She laughed nervously, before reaching down and plucking a leaf from a nearby shrub, gesturing with the leaf. "Like leaves! Not slimy, wriggly... slug things."

Grik quickly checks the leaf for juicy caterpillars, but doesn't find any! He can only shrug at Wen.

It's likely Grik is entirely carnivorous.

Noticing the hyper-adorable bunny's distress and deciding that she couldn't let that stand, Emilia decides to try and look for something that was plant-based and seemed edible.

((This maaay result in a poisonin'))

Learning Checks=?, ?

Searching for strange plants in the dark of an island you've never visited before, almost never ends well. It's unfortunate the only coconut was hurled at Anders-they're certainly not native to this area, probably carried by the monkeybees as weaponry...

After cleaning herself up, Emilia searches for, and finds at least two 'candidates' within walking distance. Anything more of a search is going to take hours more, and it's already night.

The first is a bush with tiny, lacy leaves shaped like stars. It has several huge, bell-shaped dark red flowers...and many round, soft, orange berries. She recognizes these (probably) as Lampsur fruit-they're not well known, but she does recall them being used as an ingredient in the healing potions, many of which she went through during her training. She also vaguely recalls they are almost exclusively grown by the warrior monks of the Kai, in distant Sommerlund...or they were, until the order was recently destroyed. It's odd they would grow here, she thinks.

Grik Help: Grik seems to indicate these are good to eat, with Jao doing a poor job translating-his people seem to call them 'Giving The Great Light of Fruits'. Since his kind don't normally eat fruit or plants, they must have some other property, at least.

The second is another shrub, but the fruits here are long and skinny, like bananas. They are definitely not bananas, however-on account of being a cheery light blue, and the fruits themselves somewhat see-through. She can see the small dark seeds embedded on the inside of a fruity interior. They reflect light very oddly. She has no idea what this plant is. Probably some sort of magic bananas?

Grik Help: Grik seems to recognize this fruit too, but Jao can't make out much of what he's saying about it. Only they are roughly called, the 'Journeying Fruit'. A journey to where?

He tried to make sense of what this eejit frog fellow was saying, and tried to ask for some bread, cheese, and ale. And a bed for the night. And the nearest port. He also grabs the last slug. Eat it appreciatively before asking the above questions. Offer the frogthing one of my handbuilt arrows in thanks.

Logic check!
1d4+1d20 (1+15)=16

Jao quickly deduces the secret to understanding the frog-mans language is that most of the context is in the delicate susurrations at the back of his throat, and tuning out the noise of his croaking, which is more or less meaningless noise-sort of like a man clearing his throat. Sussing out the actual language will take a bit of time, however...

Jao will have to spend 24 hours conversing with Grik to achieve a complete understanding of the language.

In the meantime, he begins derping and plopping right along with him, mostly earning Griks amusement. Grik seems to be intelligent enough to figure out what you're trying to do, and plays right along. You can now ask him things, and get a more complete answer.

Inquiries about plant life quickly confirm that Grik doesn't eat anything plant-like, or at least he doesn't now. Jao misses most of the context, but apparently his kind do eat some sort of plants when they are very young, but not when they are older.

Grik has no idea what 'cheese, bread, or ale' is. Maybe this is Hell.

Asking him for a bed, Grik merely falls to the ground and lays down, curling up. Hmm.

Asking for a 'port' is like asking for cheese. He's an idjit!

Finally, asking where you are gives one reaction-he points to the ground, and shrugs-and how to 'get away' gives another-he points to the ocean and shakes his head, miming a biting mouth with both hands.

"Orbo Glorpo!"

Jao thinks this may mean 'big eater'. Or perhaps 'friend helper'.

Grik frowns at the arrow as a gift, however-holding it gingerly as it might fall apart in his tiny hands. He uses it to scratch his behind afterwards.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile

Emilia brings samples of the plants over to Wen-Tsu, and motions their approximate location. Once again resisting the urge to hug her (though it was slowly growing more faint, anyway.) She also tells the little rabbit fairy what she'd managed to remember. Or at least, what she thought she was probably hopefully remembering correctly.

"You'd probably know a lot more about these things than I would. At the very least you should take some, just in case they turn out to be useful for something other than eating."

Emilia gad the distinct impression that despite having two totally-empty hands, she'd have a lot of difficulty transporting anything major. After all, she relied mostly on her particular ability to push and pull things out of her personal hammerspace... Which currently seemed totally full.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:11:14 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

”Yes! Very derp! Glorp.”

Also scratch my behind with arrow to ingratiate myself.

Turning to his fellow shipwreckees, Jao explains everything:

”Oh by the good lord Bernardo, there’s no bloody way off this dump unless we can fly or build a boat. And even if we build a boat the bloody sea monsters will chew us all to smithereens. Frogfellow says that ‘you eat many banana, you have good time’, I think he means the blue ones, but they only have the word for banana in their primitive tongue.”

Turn back to Grik and mime/speak loudly and slowly.

”Can. We. Help. Your. Tribe. Much strong. Brave warriors!”

Jao turns to whichever of his acquaintances are nearest, probably Amelia, tells her to come over, and gives her, with a forced expression of happiness, a nice big hug.

”See! We friends. Amis”

Try to work out what Frogspeak for friends is, and point out to Grik that that is what we all are, and that me and Grik are friends too.

”And what is your position on the great craft of barding? Songs? I love songs. And poems. Not like these feckers, they don’t appreciate art.”

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"You'd probably know a lot more about these things than I would. At the very least you should take some, just in case they turn out to be useful for something other than eating."

Emilia ad the distinct impression that despite having two totally-empty hands, she'd have a lot of difficulty transporting anything major. After all, she relied mostly on her particular ability to push and pull things out of her personal hammerspace... Which currently seemed totally full.

Wen-Tsu has many fond memories of the lunar gardens where she was raised, where they grow almost every sort of fruit and vegetable imaginable, and even some unimaginable. Of course, not all of them are the same as plants on the 'World Above'.

Moon-Carrots, for example, are much different than Earth-Carrots. The main difference being you have to bop Moon-carrots with a hammer, before you eat them. Those sneaky little dodgers can run pretty fast...

Plant Identify! Advantage 1
Dc 15 vs 1d20 (11+13)=13

Plant Identify! Advantage 1
Dc 15 vs 1d20 (5+11)=11

Double fail! Sad Rabbit! ^v>v^

Wen-Tsu's gardening teacher (Fio-Fio) was always chastising her for not paying attention in her garden lessons, instead being overly interested in reading her sappy earth-stories about 'adventure' and 'heroic love'. Wen-Tsu never wanted to settle down and be a moon-gardener, no many how many moon-carrots she hammered over the years. Now it comes back to her that she has no idea what either of these plants are. They certainly smell good, though.

Turn back to Grik and mime/speak loudly and slowly.

”Can. We. Help. Your. Tribe. Much strong. Brave warriors!”

Jao turns to whichever of his acquaintances are nearest, probably Amelia, tells her to come over, and gives her, with a forced expression of happiness, a nice big hug.

”See! We friends. Amis”

Try to work out what Frogspeak for friends is, and point out to Grik that that is what we all are, and that me and Grik are friends too.

Grik seems to get the general idea of everything you're saying.

"Derpyou!...helpgrlop!...KILL...Wapungo?" He responds.

Then he launches into a rapid series of words you nearly miss completely. Something about a big rock. And how the rock is big, and important! Big rock fight, Wapungo Die no take rock!

You finally get the idea his species is probably fighting over a rock.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:39:14 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

”And what is your position on the great craft of barding? Songs? I love songs. And poems. Not like these feckers, they don’t appreciate art.”

Grik doesn't exactly get 'art', but you're beginning to think he might be an artist-he did a real good job on that map. You seem to remind him for something...

"Plung howlop plop! Make drop pack! Grik is many map making!' But Howlop make drop pack! Find help pack map?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anders bowed deeply to the frogman, still unsure of whether or not he was indebted to it or not. "I thank you for allowing us to assist you." Anders then plucked a particularly large slug off the spit popped it into his mouth, chewing slowly while he carefully severed the wings of the remaining bat creatures.

After plucking the wings from the creatures, Anders cocked his head to the side and stared at the frog creature, listening to the whispers of his father.

((OOC: I'm going to assume this is an official action, but you should really put these things in bold...otherwise it's hard to tell the diff between RP and actions I need to roll.))

Anders listens, and hears.

With a soft heart...this one is an Outcast...and, for this reason...a love of words and old knowledge...he's not welcomed back home...they are wise...but...you, the others...the tools this one needs...does he know old knowledge can hurt you?......to be welcomed home...he feels guilty about it...you won't win the war for them...as a weapon against their enemies...all you can do is die...all any of you can do is die...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:11:06 pm by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Jao communicates to his colleagues thus:

"This creature would like our assistance in murdering some of his tribal foes. I believe he would offer us shelter and sustenance if we do so, and perhaps listen to my poetry. What say you? Also one of his idiot kin has lost an important bag, which he would be happy if we returned to him."

And then turns back to Grik:

"Ah. Help, yes. Howlop, eejit? EEJIT. Yes? Find bag? Where?"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Giving up on his attempts to communicate with the frog beast after being offered a worm, Moubu is greatly gladdened to see the diminutive halfling taking over the responsibility. Instead he turns to his attention to trying to start a fire for the group. Clearing away an area of the underbrush, followed by ripping branches from any likely looking trees and using the driest brush he can find as tinder. Looking up from his efforts once Jao had managed to establish communication with the creature and relay his infomation. "Aye. Well, that sounds about right. I guess languages and geographies change, but everywhere needs mercenaries." Moubu gives a shrug of his massive shoulders "Food and shelter wouldn't be the worst thing I've killed for, I'm up for it... Maybe if we help these frogs out, they'll help us find a way to get off this island."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Well, they might at least keep us fed for long enough to build a big fecking boat, that's for sure. Before we all die of the Running bloody Whimsies. Urg."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

A peculiar smile played across Anders' face as the voice of his father whispered to him. "He's going to kill us." Anders announced suddenly, nothing in his tone indicating that this was either significant or problematic. He might as well have announced that the frogman was going to give them more slugs.

Anders reached out with a too-long limb and, mimicking Jao's gesture of friendship, hugged the frogman.

"I think," Anders said, still squeezing the frogman, "I think that we should help find his bag. His value as a hostage is minimal: he's an outcast seeking to use us for his own benefit. Not very popular."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:39:17 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Eh what? How do you know??! You speak froggish as well eh?"

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Anders looked baffled. "No? I have no idea what he's saying. My father told me, he's always telling me things."
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moubu gives a sudden start at the claim that the frog man was go to kill them, his thumb slipping into the tiny fire he had started to kindle, snuffing it out and giving him a burn for the effort. Struggling upright from his position on the ground, sputtering orcish curses he manages to get his feet under himself long enough to take half a step towards Anders and the frog. "...Shathat üs! Your father! Kill us! What is going on!?" He asks, confusion and anger in his voice. "Who the hell is your father! And how is he talking to you! And...! How does he know what this frog man is going to do!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grik seems oblivious, and a bit confused, thought he apparently likes being hugged.

He starts to poke Jao, speaking to him.

"Glorp! What Hellbu! Blrop wrong plop?"

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23