Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 878354 times)

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.8 - 32x - 44.03 - Win/Mac/Linux - Updated 2nd January
« Reply #405 on: January 03, 2018, 08:18:52 am »

I like the designations, the zones, and the ashes. Not too sure about the smoke/wagon but I think I could get used to it. Trade depot - like mifki said, looks too much like chests. I kinda like the regular classic design too but I guess if you're improving everything, why not this :) Sprites look nifty ^^
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #406 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:06 am »

I'm not a big fan of the trade depot design I posted. I like the original one more, but someone suggested it, so I thought it would be best to share it... see what other people think.

Edit: Concepts for animal-men visitors... although I'm not even sure if you get them. Could someone please enlighten me? (Edit: ZM5 did enlighten me. Turns out they are exceedingly rare.)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:27:07 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 03, 2018, 11:33:53 am »

i like the original trade depot better.
the borderless wagon never bothered me - maybe make the border less "strong" in contrast so it doesnt make smoke and miasma look too strange. btw: are smoke and miasma bound to use the same tile and could they be overwritten?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #408 on: January 03, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »

All flows are bound to the same tiles, 176, 177, 178 (and occasionally 219, but it's rare). Miasma, smoke, ocean spray, waterfalls... and none of them can be overriden.

They are also the wagon tiles (176 and 178), and all three are used in insect swarms of microvermin, which also can't be overridden or changed.

The same tiles also have 3-4 other uses, but luckily those I can override.

And: creature_large_riverlake in Obsidian style with child- and zombie- versions.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 03, 2018, 01:29:44 pm »

Imo, better have good smoke. Wagon will be deconstructed shortly anyway, but there is going to be lots of miasma/smoke/fog for sure.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #410 on: January 03, 2018, 01:52:52 pm »

The embark wagon is not affected by this, it always looks like proper wooden planks. It's a building. The tiles 176-178 are only used for wagon creatures, which arrive with caravans.

large_tundra

large_mountain

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2018, 03:13:25 pm »

It was supposed to be some kind of bearman - muzzle is not like, It resembles a rat).
Spoiler: Bearman (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:24:48 pm by Vordak »

lysaght

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2018, 03:34:15 pm »

Love this tileset Meph - playing on 44.03.

Early days yet but everything looks sweet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2018, 04:06:36 pm »

Ah, I wish I could use something like this for all animal-men, but I think the game will crash automatically, while merging all the graphic files. Mifki explained it to me here:

The limits question is more important. There's no fixed number, it depends on graphics card used. I think all currently used cards should support texture size 4096x4096 or at least 2048x2048. This gives 64 512x512 sheets or at least 16 sheets. It may seem ok then, but this also includes all creature graphics, so I really need to find a way to split tiles into several GPU textures and not worry about limits anymore.
Summary: All graphic tiles have to fit into one large, 4096x4096 png.

If we add just military professions to the 200 animal-people and other intelligent humanoids, that's 24*200*32px. With some professions to cover the visitors, scholars, performers, etc, lets make it 35 extra sprites per creature.

35*200= 7000 sprites. With creature transparency, 14000, because of the -bg files. With some good templates thats doable, but would crash. I alread have 10x 512x512 tilesets in data/art, and the large procedual sets for Titans, Demons, Nightcreatures and FBs are 1024x832, of which there are 4.

Overall I think there is enough space left for about 4000-5000 sprites. That's guess-work, but an educated guess.

tl;dr: Vordak, I/we/you can't do full spritesheets for all animal men. Only a few selected professions. I thought about 4: Melee, Ranged, Scholar, Performer. That's 1600 sprites in total. (200 creatures * 4 = 800. Times two for the -bg files) That's well within the limits of TWBT.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2018, 04:17:18 pm »

tl;dr: Vordak, I/we/you can't do full spritesheets for all animal men. Only a few selected professions. I thought about 4: Melee, Ranged, Scholar, Performer. That's 1600 sprites in total. (200 creatures * 4 = 800. Times two for the -bg files) That's well within the limits of TWBT.
It's probably good because for extremely rare animal-men make a complete set - it's a waste of time.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2018, 04:22:50 pm »

I agree. Much more important to make the kid-versions. And undead versions. ^^

The war/hunting training is easy, it's only 40 sprites or so. In total. :)

Edit: I'm still thinking that child/undead sprites take a lot of work... but it does look better than a straight copy that has a little "KID" note on it. Those are made entirely new by me, but I tried sticking to Obsidians style.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:23:16 am by Meph »

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 04, 2018, 04:07:52 am »

large_tundra

large_mountain

Love the bear in battle armor!  :D
To have proper child/war/hunt/undead graphics for at least the most common animals would make a big difference.

It was supposed to be some kind of bearman - muzzle is not like, It resembles a rat).
Spoiler: Bearman (click to show/hide)
Now I want to have a bearman in my fortress.

Maybe an approach to solve the problem with hauled items:
In the GemSet graphics, DragonDePlatino left the main tileset mostly ascii and handled all graphics in override files. So whenever something is hauled and the sprite falls back to the main tileset at least a sprite is shown that can be better associated with the performed task.

Doesn't have to be all ascii like in his set, but keep only fallback sprites in the main tileset and outsource everything to overrides.
Could this be a possible solution or doesn't that work with the newer features like transparency?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2018, 05:01:22 am »

That doesn't work. I could have left most of the items in the main tileset in that case... for example most of the carried items are furniture or crafts... which I could leave in the main tileset. But I decided to outsource them, to have more space for grasses and vermin; aka things I don't want or can't use overrides for.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2018, 05:05:09 am »

Is it just my version or do the track stops look like bookcases? Also, zones look like bookcases as well...

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2018, 05:23:23 am »

That doesn't work. I could have left most of the items in the main tileset in that case... for example most of the carried items are furniture or crafts... which I could leave in the main tileset. But I decided to outsource them, to have more space for grasses and vermin; aka things I don't want or can't use overrides for.

Thats too bad, then lets hope mifki works his magic and finds a way eventually. Would be cool to see a music note when someone plays an instrument instead of a soup spoon or leaves.  ;D

Is it just my version or do the track stops look like bookcases? Also, zones look like bookcases as well...
Don't know about the tracks (haven't built them so far in my current game) but Meph showed the new zone sprites that should be in the next version:
Traffic designations... fast, slow, restricted. Then activity zone, then selected activity zone.:

Constructions and channeling

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 187