Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62262 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:09 pm »

I foresee heat damage issues if this tablet-sized thing is being accelerated whenever its on the dock.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »

I foresee heat damage issues if this tablet-sized thing is being accelerated whenever its on the dock.
Heat damage issues while accelerated on the dock....?

I... struggle to come up with either a reason as to why, or a method as to how. Someone taking it up to the ISS and forgetting that Newton's 3rd is a thing regardless the size of fan?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 12:38:55 pm »

The dock is this double-sided confining space, though. Seems like you could have bad heat spots like that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:41 pm »

Fuck this.
I really expected more
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2016, 02:15:13 pm »

Inches

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2016, 02:18:29 pm »

Common I can guage its size.
I guess I over hyped the daisy chain/cpu boosting dock.
Still getting it for Zelda though cause that looks awesome

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2016, 02:24:21 pm »

Maybe more in the way of innovation? I mean, PS4/Vita already have essentially the same thing going on, where you can play console games on your portable unit. Switch is a bit more flashy, with a few little gimmicks, but the end result is essentially the same thing. Nintendo have made innovative mechanics the main thing that sets them apart from the competition, and Switch just doesn't innovate enough to justify the buildup they've been putting out.

Honestly, even if they announce specifications, and it turns out that this unit has unprecedented battery life, computing power, and screen resolution, they would still have to pair it with an exceptionally affordable purchase price before it even starts to look compelling.

Aside from all that, VR seems to be the next big thing in video games, and I've not seen any mention of the Switch supporting it in any form. By the time Switch comes out it may already be viewed as obsolete technology.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »

VR seems to be the next big thing in video games
*laughtrack*
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2016, 02:27:30 pm »

Maybe more in the way of innovation? I mean, PS4/Vita already have essentially the same thing going on, where you can play console games on your portable unit. Switch is a bit more flashy, with a few little gimmicks, but the end result is essentially the same thing. Nintendo have made innovative mechanics the main thing that sets them apart from the competition, and Switch just doesn't innovate enough to justify the buildup they've been putting out.

Honestly, even if they announce specifications, and it turns out that this unit has unprecedented battery life, computing power, and screen resolution, they would still have to pair it with an exceptionally affordable purchase price before it even starts to look compelling.

Aside from all that, VR seems to be the next big thing in video games, and I've not seen any mention of the Switch supporting it in any form. By the time Switch comes out it may already be viewed as obsolete technology.

The vita has been a flop from day one, and VR isn't the future.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2016, 02:42:33 pm »

The dock is this double-sided confining space, though. Seems like you could have bad heat spots like that.

I don't think the dock itself will be much of a factor.  It'll be the TDP of the chip at full power, the size of the heatsink, and air throughput.  (maybe with a side order of "where are the vents, and how big")  Compared to the stuff heatsinks are made of, the casing has a hilariously low thermal conductivity; if that tiny margin makes a difference, you're probably already screwed on the heat issue.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »

Well... not quite. PS4/Vita are two separate consoles. They run different game copies, you just transfer save data from one to the other, if anything that is the gimmick. There is no gimmick in a powerful portable console. The detachable controllers? Gimmick, but one that you can completely ignore if you so desire. And face it, nobody has ever done a combo detachable/split controller before. Just a detachable controller, yes, a number of those for phones and tablets. But not one you can use as two mini joypads.

A powerful tablet can run you way higher than the current estimate on the price of the Switch. It's compelling merely because it's packing the power of a gaming tablet into an affordable price range. The tablet I'm using now cost nearly a grand when it was released, and it can only just run Skyrim. Whether or not it gets that Skyrim game, a console that small and powerful for a third of that price is quite compelling.

VR is failing. PC VR is, at least. Console VR is only just taking off, but it severely lacks proper games. Mobile VR is the thing that's on the rise, and guess what - without its wireless controllers, the Switch is a lot like a large smartphone. Remember the rumors that Nintendo might be delaying NX because it is looking into VR options? I'm betting that's the next thing they're going to be working on.

900p (rumored) screen, more power than any smartphone, wireless single-hand akimbo controllers, instant wireless LAN, and a company known for its gleeful abuse of awesome gimmicky concepts and motion controls. Switch VR is coming, mark my words.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:55:55 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »

VR's biggest issue that it has a near impossible time overcoming is two things

1) It is expensive
and
2) It requires set up

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »

VR's biggest issue that it has a near impossible time overcoming is two things

1) It is expensive
and
2) It requires set up
So in Switch's case: It barely costs more than the console itself (you do need the headgear), and setup consists of removing the joy-cons from the main body and slotting the main body into the headgear. Assuming the joy-cons are, or will be, motion-enabled like WiiMotes, and I see few reasons why they couldn't be, at least as an addon or replacement unit.

Just inferring from that theoretical design: unless they invent the unholy child of GPS and Bluetooth using multiple receivers on the headgear to track pings from the controllers, hand tracking will probably be barely a thing. Therefore, you might see a lot of third-person view games, where you control the view with your head, and control the character's movements with the controls, without first-person immersion that more serious VR is going for.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:02:18 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 03:07:33 pm »

I mean if nintendo allowed utility apps and some sort of a store, the Switch could actually go for the tablet market but unless they made its OS somehow Android compatible, it'd probably flop pretty hard.

But we are talking about Nintendo so I'm not expecting utility apps to even exist apart from maybe a few pre-installed essentials like a calendar.

Anyways, it looks interesting and something I might get like half a year to a year down the line when it's cheaper. (It's rumored to be quite cheap but I'm still not made of money dontcherknow)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:32 pm »

I mean if nintendo allowed utility apps and some sort of a store, the Switch could actually go for the tablet market but unless they made its OS somehow Android compatible, it'd probably flop pretty hard.

But we are talking about Nintendo so I'm not expecting utility apps to even exist apart from maybe a few pre-installed essentials like a calendar.
Unity is on the list of their 3rd-party partners.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37