Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62557 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #330 on: March 03, 2017, 06:22:55 am »

I find it funny, in a sad sort of way, that Nintendo's most grievous sin for the past decade or so has been absolutely awful naming (combined with poor marketing in general, as Krevsin said).

'Wii U' failed not least because people had no idea whether it was a new console or not. And 3DS isn't much better. Is it really that hard to come up with some half-decent console names? Even Nintendo Switch is still pretty shitty.

As someone that JUST bought a Wii-U (given the slight depression in sales price with the switch hitting market), and who has tried it, the Wii-U's problem was/is that absolutely HONKING HUGE tablet controller, coupled with "disney-esque" titles in the lineup.

I "get" that nintendo wants to appear "kid friendly", but seriously-- it's about the worst combination of white plastic from Apple, with the saccharine from Disney. (Don't get me started on Amiibos. Those are literally JUST injection mold plastic figurines with CHEAP RFID tags inside. Seriously. They are sickeningly easy to clone.)

I only got the console to get Breath of the Wild, and to keep my existing Wii titles without sacrificing more space in my game system shelf.

Nintendo needs to realize that it was games like Contra and pals on its original NES that drove it to popularity. Not games like Cooking Mama.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:26:15 am by wierd »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:47 am »

Eh the lack of games on the wii U is mostly to blame for that lack of stylistic variety.

Since the Wii U sold poorly, the 3rd party support basically evaporated and Nintendo was forced to rely more on its own games, which have a very distinct visual style. Which is fine but when you have a console that runs nothing but Nintendo games the dearth of visual variety becomes only too apparent.

Maybe if they managed to keep the 3rd party devs on board for a while longer that'd change. But they didn't, and given how they all jumped ship when the Wii U sold poorly I don't think nintendo could've done anything. Apart from "not screwing up the marketing for the Wii U that resulted in poor sales."

Also Wii U's tablet feels extraordinarily flimsy. Like it's a toy you'd find in the baby aisle of a toy shop.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:45 am »

Battery life is horrible too. Practically needs to stay on the charging cable nonstop, or it dies in about an hour.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:37:51 am by wierd »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2017, 07:36:27 am »

Nintendo needs to realize that it was games like Contra and pals on its original NES that drove it to popularity. Not games like Cooking Mama.

Actually, the great majority of their sales have always been Mario. Mario Kart and 2D sidescrollers tend to take the top, with 3D Mario games taking a more modest third place.

Nintendo are at least trying to be smart this time, with two known huge sellers available on launch and another one on the flanks.

I'd say that the great curse of Nintendo, though, is that their US market will always take second place to Japan. For a company that's put a lot of effort into the internationality of their games, from cultural references to games that outright explore the world outside of Japan, their business practices are almost entirely focused on their home country. They have little respect for international customs, copyright laws, or trends. Unless the Japanese market outright falls through, we will always be second fiddle.
Nothing important here, move along.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:29 am »

Actually, the great majority of their sales have always been Mario.

Well for the NES only three of the top ten best selling games were third party... and they were all the bottom three

For the SNES five of the top ten best selling games were third party (I am including Donkey Kong Country... due to reasons more understandable if you know its history. But if you exclude it then 4). These games are spread throughout. This has also been the period of time Nintendo was most... Acquiescent towards third party.

N64 there were three that were third party in the top 10 (and this is about the time Nintendo started to sabotage the third party. So lets see Gamecube)

Gamecube NONE of the top ten games were third party

Wii, Wiiu, DS, 3ds... none of them were third party.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:59:45 am by Neonivek »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 03, 2017, 10:36:13 am »

Waited in line for the local game store.  One of the people there was someone who already got a switch and was being transportation for a friend.   Battery died within the 30 minutes we were waiting while playing bomberman.  He claimed he charged it fully before he left.  He answered a few questions about it too, saying it has trouble connecting with the dock fully, and that that may be why it might not have charged right.

No I didn't get one there either.  They claimed they would have at least 6.  They had 2.  Admittedly I think their employees had first dibs, which is fair.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 10:38:51 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 03, 2017, 10:47:09 am »

Went to Best Buy to pick up my pre-order for BotW and 4-5 (small) groups of people were waiting in line for the store to open, all to get the Switch. Don't know if they pre-ordered or not. The guy came out of the store before it opened and said 'yeah we have enough switched for this many people.' Unfortunately they had no pro controllers.

So now I have a game, just waiting for the console itself to be delivered.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 03, 2017, 02:42:59 pm »

I don't know where you guys live to find stores with less than 10 Switches. A little French-brand GameStop (Micromania) had a hundred Switches (though 90 were pre-ordered and waited for the buyer to come and get it, like I did). Dozens of Zelda games on display, too, in a little store (less than 40 mē).

Anyway, I got mine, and installed it, at home.
Really disappointed that there is no installation guide, and that I had to look up on the internet to see how to unlock the Joy-cons from the Console, which joy-con charger goes on which Joy-Con (putting the Minus on the Minus and the Plus on the Plus feels weird), ...

Anyway, I played Zelda an hour and a half, and didn't feel time passing. It's cool, even though with the gameplay video I've seen, I want to unlock all the things so I can fully play the game :D

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 03, 2017, 07:38:19 pm »

I picked mine up from Walmart.
Your not going to believe this but they actually had the breath of the wild special edition there to.
So now I have a sweet case
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32:46 pm »

So now I have a sweet case

What? Awww... you got a much better flavor than everyone else.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 03, 2017, 11:41:35 pm »

Only the cartridges are coated in the "delicious mixture".

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2017, 11:11:12 am »

I went to the town closest to me to check out the Switch and they didn't have any at Walmart or The Source. It's not that they sold out, it's that they haven't even ordered them in yet. I know it's a little podunk town but usually they manage to get big releases out on time. I was pretty surprised!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2017, 11:39:16 am »

Given there is only one game I'd ever care about on the Switch... I can wait... I can wait a looooong time.

Plus... typically with these consoles the GOOD version will come out in like a year.

Well unless I guess it is like the PS3... but Nintendo would sooner die than give out backwards compatibility... they actually do want you to keep buying the same games over and over again (and have went on record to say that)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:30:27 pm by Neonivek »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2017, 12:49:29 pm »

Even going so far as to call emulatiors of any type the biggest threat to gaming, and denying the users right to own a backup of legally purchased software.  Branding someone who only wants to ghost their 3DS in case of failure a pirate.

And then of course there is that case where they literally just downloaded a mario rom off the internet, threw it on their store basically unaltered (it even still had the header at the top of the rom when opened in a text editor that tells what emulator it was made for) and charged money for it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:51:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »

Even going so far as to call emulatiors of any type the biggest threat to gaming, and denying the users right to own a backup of legally purchased software.  Branding someone who only wants to ghost their 3DS in case of failure a pirate.

And then of course there is that case where they literally just downloaded a mario rom off the internet, threw it on their store basically unaltered (it even still had the header at the top of the rom when opened in a text editor that tells what emulator it was made for) and charged money for it.

The rom wasn't for a specific emulator it was just a header that emulator and rom makers all agreed to use as a standard. The header does not exist on licensed carts.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37