Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Polling Interest] Dwarf FortresS&M Community Fortress Contest  (Read 896 times)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Polling Interest] Dwarf FortresS&M Community Fortress Contest
« on: October 30, 2016, 06:43:38 pm »

This thread is to solicit interest, discuss rules, and request turns for an extra silly community fortress idea.

The idea is to compete/collaborate to produce a fortress dressed entirely in a specified uniform (Thong, High Boots, Face Mask, Vest), wielding whips, and deliver/receive as many whip strikes as possible while wearing the official uniform.

A turn would be scored based on the percent time the population is in proper uniform, plus points for delivering combat strikes with a whip while in uniform. (I'm pretty sure a dfhack script can be written to tabulate the score automatically.) Some whip-strikes would be worth more than others, with fully uniformed citizen-on-citizen whipping being by far the highest point value.

If enough people indicate interest, after discussion of rules, this might be the community fort you never knew you were looking for, and vaguely regret contributing to!

Any interest in being in line for a turn or suggestions on how to best set up the game? (Obviously the civ would need to be modded to be able to produce clothing for the uniform, and scoring is only reasonable if dfhack can do it automatically.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Polling Interest] Dwarf FortresS&M Community Fortress Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 07:54:23 pm »

Hmm, one fort I had back in 43.03, I was able to get 9 whips total from zombies; where I had 6 tower neighbors after 4 years.

I did not pay attention on other garments though.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:37 pm »

I know you can get whips from goblins and humans - whether by trade, by visitorite or by war.

However, those are metal - you'd need to mod for leather whips (which, incidentally, makes for meh material to attack with).

Also, obviously later turns are going to have higher scores, with the gear already produced. Still, as far as dfhack scripts go, perhaps starting by looking at dwarf-watch(I think, measures fort efficiency) would give a start for the code.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:27:15 pm »

Yeah, definitely assume that [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] will have [WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP] and [ARMOR:ITEM_WHATEVER:FORCED] for the uniform items. I think it's enough of a challenge to get the dwarves whipping each other enough without having all the required gear be foreign.

Leather whips is a neat idea, though. That'd beyond my modding courage, though. Would you have to do something crazy like add [IS_METAL] to the leather template? I suspect sticking with metal whips would be easiest, plus make it that much more dangerous to use them.

Also, obviously later turns are going to have higher scores, with the gear already produced. Still, as far as dfhack scripts go, perhaps starting by looking at dwarf-watch(I think, measures fort efficiency) would give a start for the code.
Thanks for the source script to read! I got a decent start a few weeks ago, at least to prove the concept that the dfhack events API captures combat events well enough to tell who was hitting who with what.

My hope is that the basic ethic is people would view it more as a collaboration than a contest, not an Screw the Next Player game. ("A new High Score! Everybody wins! You're all sickos!") Maybe encouraging repeat turns, or else letting players sign up as a group sharing a score, so the first few can work toward preparing the final player for an extra-violent year of whipping?