Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 178713 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1455 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:43 am »

We don't need Calm Mind.  It's been some time since Queenie has came out except at us intentionally invoking her.  Plus calm mind is an ability that doesn't actually make Sydney more capable, nor does it give anything to the Queen.  Ergo, it does nothing.

Max stress can also wait forever.

Spiderling abilities, though interesting, aren't of much use given our character being hyperprotective of them.  We can't send them to fight, as Sydney wants to be protective of her spiderlings, which means her doing the fighting and them only supporting.

I'm not against spiderling abilities, but lets see if we can put them to use first, and then decide what ones we can really use.  Besides, being larger may mean more spiderlings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:59:28 am by Devastator »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:43 am »

Enhance Size

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:28 am »

Sydney, and Alexia, tend to lose control when stressed. Look at the bit where Yunikki was being degraded. We end up with options like...
Searching...
Alexia
I hate them all so much.

Alexia
So. So much.

Alexia
I could fix it.

Storm out!
To hell with this! You don't have to stay here and take it. Not to mention, you've been meaning to attempt an escape for a while now.

Other

Stress: 30 /60

Remember, Sydney is a proud creature and also sympathetic to her friends.
She takes every attack on Yunikki's pride personally.

Umm... Okay, I am seriously suspecting that the stress meter was not properly calibrated in that update. If we can get that without being on the brink of stress then perhaps stress is not such a big deal, but my understanding of it is that hitting the stress cap is pretty much fatal to level-headedness, which is pretty much fatal to everything if the situation is hazardous... Alexia is fully capable of being... collected... and also capable of being a flesh-tearing mess who will eat vampires even if she knows them to be unhealthy. We generally don't let Alexia do anything unless we need violence of hit a stress-overload, a lot of Alexia's familiar traits are due to her circumstances rather than her actual attitude and nature. Our stress-cap is almost halved, Calm mind would put it over its previous best, it really isn't possibly to downplay the extent of the difference, just its scope.
Can we get a confirmation that we really were at only 30 stress in that update? It is just that the proceedings don't gel much with my understanding of stress. I concede that if that update really was at half stress, then I really can't judge its value.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 26, 2018, 01:33:04 am »

Dev complained to me about how terrible decisions were made in this game, and strongly implied that he wanted me to vote for his option.  So I looked over the options (didn't read anything else), and the best choice seems clear despite knowing nothing about the game!

Companion Crazy.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 26, 2018, 01:34:04 am »

Dev complained to me about how terrible decisions were made in this game, and strongly implied that he wanted me to vote for his option.  So I looked over the options (didn't read anything else), and the best choice seems clear despite knowing nothing about the game!

Companion Crazy.
+1
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 26, 2018, 01:39:35 am »

Dev complained to me about how terrible decisions were made in this game, and strongly implied that he wanted me to vote for his option.  So I looked over the options (didn 't read anything else), and the best choice seems clear despite knowing nothing about the game!

Companion Crazy.
+1

+1
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1461 on: January 26, 2018, 01:56:00 am »

Dev complained to me about how terrible decisions were made in this game, and strongly implied that he wanted me to vote for his option.  So I looked over the options (didn 't read anything else), and the best choice seems clear despite knowing nothing about the game!

Companion Crazy.
+1

+1
Sy conscripted my efforts with promises of skeleton women.

+1, I guess?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 26, 2018, 01:56:45 am »

Companion Crazy.
+1

+1
+1. Syv told me to do this and I have no willpower to resist.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 26, 2018, 02:14:02 am »

* RAM dreams hopefully of newcomers sticking around.

I... Companion Crazy huh? We... We can work with that... We just need to find a hedgehog and modify it into a stress-ball... Just squish it and listen to the friendly squeaking... Hmm, getting a skeletal critter to squeak might be tricky, but whistles work...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

Okay..

I was hoping for an upgrade that helped out both Sydney and Alexa, but I suppose Companion Crazy isn't a dead level, like Calm mind would have been.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:07:59 pm by Devastator »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 26, 2018, 03:45:40 pm »

Calm mind is huge, we have slowly, and permanently, been losing sanity. Spending an upgrade now and again on recovering from permanent injury is a necessary consequence of accruing permanent injuries, such as sanity loss. Calm and Eyes are the huge options here, because they imply that Sydney might actually be able to overcome her past. Disabilities of both the physical(clear depth perception) and mental(responding rationally to witnessing torment) are actually the lack of abilities, and removing them does actually mean gaining abilities. Her sanity is currently at almost half of her functional spectrum and calm would bring it to over full. That is, unless I am misunderstanding maximum stress. If is just means that Alexia takes over until some sort of stress fixer is found then it isn't so bad, Alexia is a bit of a handful, and not the most meticulous, but she isn't the end of the world, but I see stress as more than just a trigger for Alexia...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:02 pm »

Well, that's one way to rock the vote, innit?
Also, good on you for avoiding calm mind. That was essentially a trap, because of the reasons Dev stated. As I stated, I am a cruel god.
Sydney, and Alexia, tend to lose control when stressed. Look at the bit where Yunikki was being degraded. We end up with options like...
SNIP
That was kind of a grey area. It wasn't a stressful thing, but it was utterly infuriating. The main point was that Sydney's anger was visible. Stress refers to more despair or fear, reasons to hide away in a mental shell and let something else take over.
Of course, reach a high enough level of anger, and you might just swap, but you'd need drugs or magic to reach that level of fury.
Stress is also more than just Alexia. It's a way to show Sydney's general mental state. She will act differently on high stress, and the given options will often reflect that. Alexia is just the tipping point, where she just lets something else take the wheel that "isn't her".

I'm going to give you the official Word Of God: Alexia is nothing more than an alternate personality, affected by a drider's natural state of being. Sydney is just insane, and magic doesn't mix well (or to be more accurate, mixes too well) with insanity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTUAL UPDATE STARTS HERE

When you awake in the morning, you feel refreshed and ready to get back on the road. Everyone else has already begun on packing everything up, except for Yunikki. She's still in kind of a daze, but she seems to be less insane than before. Or at least she switched in her homicidal rage with depression. She's constantly holding a hand over her mark, keeping the "A" out of sight. You can still see it, her hand not large enough to cover the massive mark. You catch her occasionally rubbing the scar, the burnt skin cracking just a little bit.
You stop her from doing it, obviously. She doesn't even react as you pull her hand away, but reacts far more aggressively if anybody else tries it. Looks like you're going to be her caretaker for the foreseeable future...
When everything is packed and people are ready to go, you give a final goodbye to Eveline. You made a little detour to her village, and the kobolts were kind enough to give you some extra supplies before you left. Just bits of food, mostly, which will make sure you'll be comfortable on the road. Eveline seems to have taken to her commanding roll, as much as she can, at any rate. She keeps her distance from face-to-face talks, but she does the paperwork and planning well enough for the first few days. She'll never quite be a social creature, will she?
You note that she seems to have saved a few alchemy tables from the castle. She won't be bored, at least...
The final talk was in her new office, the town hall was mercifully spared at least a little from the battles that took place.
I'll miss you, Eveline. It's been great.
Yeah, I'll... Hey, could you come closer for a second?
You come closer a little bit as Eveline whispers something indistinct. Yes? What is-
Suddenly, she kisses you, a quick peck and a lick (as close as a kobolt can come to a kiss) before putting her forehead against yours. You just barely restrain yourself from jumping back, startled, but you know this is important to her.
I... I think you already knew my feelings...?
I did.
D-did you ever...
No. I... I never saw you as anything but a friend. You feel your face growing red as you feel guilty. Guilty about not loving somebody in that way? What a mean and stupid thing to feel...
...I understand. But I have a final gift. I've been hard at work with the vampire's blood, and I think THIS should be useful to you.

She opens a drawer and gives you a bottle filled with a strange yellow-black mixture. It looks like striped sand, but it moves around just enough to appear liquid.
Against the odds, I found a cure against vampirism. You'll keep a few side-effects, sure, but it should refresh you. It should clean up the corruption Erika told me about. BUT, here's the thing: your corruption will go away over time, in a year or two you'll be at the same level. If you drink it THEN... I think it might just cure the Crimson Curse. Or begin the recovery, at least. My advice is waiting, but...
This is incredible! How did you even discover this?
The vampire's alchemist had revolutionary notes. An absolutely mindboggling scientific journal, but the cruelty involved in finding what she knew... She deserved all she got, and I pray nobody else would follow her footsteps.
Let's hope that, then. Well... I'll be leaving. I never did like goodbye's.
And yet, here we are. You see her eyes glitter as tears begin to well up in her dark, almost innocent eyes.
Goodbye, Sydney. Come visit us again soon.
I will. And before I go...
You give her a quick peck on the cheek, leaving her dazed and confused as you leave the room. You can't help but laugh in a bombastic manner.

Once you were on the road, things were mercifully quite calm. The roads are fairly sparse when it comes to vegetation, and considering the dwarves live under a desert that's unlikely to change much more as you keep moving. When you are in a particularly empty spot, the witch-hunter starts talking.
So, remember when I told you I needed to tell you something exceptional?
Kind of?
Well, you see, I figured that you were accepting of almost any kind of person, even those that would be considered dangerous or a liability, correct?
...You gave me a sword, am I going to have to use it?
I hope not. Anyway...
He grabs his head with both hands, and pulls upwards. To your shock and horror HIS HEAD POPS OFF!?? A blue flame comes out of the stump as he holds his head under his arm, looking oddly casual about decapitating himself
WHAT THE FUDGE?
What the hell!?
I concur.
So yeah. This is me. I'm actually a Dullahan. Or in the process of becoming one, at any rate.
Evil...
Not quite. It's... Do you know what a Dullahan is, for starters?
Yes, I do. The Headless Riders. The harbingers of death. Wherever they stop, death must follow. Nothing can stop their ghostly carriages, and they are vicious against those who see them. They strike out the eyes of those watching with a whip made of a human spine!
Or they throw a bucket of blood at them, marking them for death.
How did you BECOME one of those things!?
Long story short? Cursed armor. There's a lot of other parts, but that's what it comes down to.
You... You said you're still in the process of becoming one, right!? How long do you have.
A few years. At best.
You're a real liability to us. The one saving grace of Dullahans is their rarity...

...But it's not going to be a problem for several years, and we have a few precautions.
You can look past this. But, of course, you will be VERY wary. You just need to get some gold on you to keep yourself safe. The material, not just money. Dullahans are terrified of gold.

So get out of here.
We're not getting cursed over this.

So we'll be preventing this NOW.
He dies. Now.

Other.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

EDIT: fixed the error of the missing armor. Necromantic fire is "Disintegrate Undead", due to inexperience.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:32:01 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 26, 2018, 05:40:12 pm »

...But it's not going to be a problem for several years, and we have a few precautions.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 26, 2018, 06:05:04 pm »

"Okay, we have a bunch of clones west doing shit, we had been marked by an elderitch god that sometimes just try to kill us and we will go someday north to face it and kick her back to oblivion our father is in a killing spree and I have a homicidal and arrogant double personality

I already plans on finding a cure (or a way to better control) for our friend here (yukinni)

We have some years to learn how to remove or overcome your curse too, so what do you think witchunter? One hand helps another and we rub in the face of the world that there is no irreversible curse and no totally evil race?"

By the way, make a mask to Yukinni, talk with her first, say that it's better for her to accept and learn how to control the curse, but hurting herself will not work, if she don't wan't to see others reaction, and as a drider we will understand see if there is something in her culture or about helmets that she likes, we can promise to save a bit of money just to make an adorned one

So wait, it's a potion that might cure vampirism, but if we drink we will fix one of our corruptions in our body? damn, so it's better wait this for when corruption get near to kill us

errr small errors

1) the armor and cookbook isn't in equipment

2) necromantic fire wasn't added
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 26, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »

I still don't know what going on and am barely reading the posts, but that doesn't actually prevent me from voting, so...
Option three! Murder!
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 216