Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 2: Game over! Post-game write up up.  (Read 91616 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 2(9/9): Day 1: Lynch! Lynch! Lynch!
« Reply #405 on: March 14, 2017, 10:02:40 am »

The only paragraph under the quote was the one. Everything else was my own monologue-narration. :P

Basically: Why did you say Yes. You're pretty much like, but different from, TDS. Brevity. Conciseness?
There's a lot being unsaid that I feel is being noted for the future.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:00 am »

Because I'm lazy, it takes too damn long, and I need to get ready for work soon, I'll just give the condensed summary of why webadict and DA are my townpicks.

webadict: From the moment he started the game he's been drawing attention to himself in a very strange manner, his first post being fishing for someone else's role.  At the time that set my alarm bells off and I began scrutinizing everything he did rather closely (although with the benefit of hindsight it's fairly obvious he was looking for who was the possessor of his maple syrup, at least if he's telling the truth about his role: the jury's still out on that, but I'll explain why I think it's likely below).  This, of course, led into the next point of interest with webadict: his initially vague explanation of his abilities.  Basically, he softclaimed some kind of empowering role and implied that if he used it for any scum or third party something bad would befall them, although he initially left it vague as to what.  Let's look at it from two different perspectives: how it helps him if he's town, and how it helps him if he's scum.

Town webadict would gain a great deal of useful information, not just for himself, but for the town as a whole as well.  By including the part about being able to find out scum, he traps scum into either calling his bluff (a risky move if he does indeed possess a way to inspect/kill/otherwise harm non-town he gives stuff to) or avoiding doing so, which may, down the line, come back to incriminate them as part of a larger body of evidence.  Scum webadict gains... nothing over what town webadict would.  See, unlike in Paranormal Mafia where people can discuss privately (or semi-privately, or literally exclude two people and keep the rest) all the information he'd be gaining from it would be public, and none of it would be incredibly useful to him as a scum player.  The most he can really hope to get is a small hint at what powers someone might have based on their role, and the town gets that information as well so every townie can play around that (and unless there's some major fuckery going on, there are more town than scum here).  Granted, in theory, town webadict doesn't gain any information that scum doesn't: after all, a scum webadict can use the same information to falsely incriminate someone as a town webadict can, but this leads into my second point.

The move draws a lot of unnecessary attention onto webadict himself.  As scum, it's rarely beneficial to draw that much attention to yourself because it attracts all kinds of power roles and, potentially, votes.  Unless his role is drastically different from what he's implied or the scum team have incredibly broken roles, that kind of attention could lead to a quick lynch or a quick kill.  It's not even the kind of attention that generally gets you townie points: cause disruption on D1 tends to earn you the ire of a lot of players and a low spot on their scum-o-meter (learned this one from experience...).  A scum webadict would have no reason to believe that making that play would result in people thinking he was town, and even if they did, a scum webadict would still be in a very interesting bind.

What bind?  Well, let's break things down based on whether webadict is lying about his role or not.  If he's lying about his role, then it's going to require some very fancy verbal gymnastics to weasel out of the lynch, since several players have fairly obvious items that are for them (this is, in fact, why I'm somewhat reluctant to have him do it to me: there's a non-zero possibility that I'm wrong about what my item is, and that either wastes town!wuba's action or gives scum!wuba an excuse to be somewhere else doing something else).  If he's telling the truth about his role, well... he'd better be getting some pretty big boons for giving items, because empowering the town as a scum player is rather counterproductive, and if he were to empower his scumbuddy(s) it would be a giveaway if either of them ever died.

Conclusion?  Webadict is probably not scum because his actions at the start of the game don't advance a scum wincon (and arguably hinder that same wincon) while providing lots of information for the town to use on later days from people's reactions.  He also manages this without being incredibly disruptive (looking at you doll, if you're reading this game) allowing the day game to continue alongside his actions.  All in all, he accomplishes a lot of work for the town in between his snark, and I'm willing to give him some town credit for that.

Now, on to...

Deus Asmoth: Actually got demoted to slight town as I was thinking about it this morning, because a huge amount of my conviction in his towniness were regarding his tone in dealing with questions and willingness to take risks (like calling webadict on his claim), but then I thought back to how he acted in the last Paranormal where he acted very similarly (minus some risks, but there were fewer risks to take in that game) as scum.  I still think he's more likely town than anyone who isn't webadict, and I'm willing to wager all the marbles that he and webadict are not on a scumteam together.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:59 pm »

I'll vote no lynch if somebody could give me a better lynch candidate.

Just saying, this is our last chance for a lynch today:

The voting system is currently Trial. In Trial, the day is further split into two phases: Choice, and Lynch. In the Choice phase, there will be no deadline, and TheDarkStar will choose who is up for lynch. In the Lynch phase, there will be a deadline, and all the players will choose if the player up for lynch will be lynched or not. If not is chosen and the current Lynch phase is the first of the day, the day will return to the Choice phase.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 14, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »

Even then, there's nobody who I feel particularly needs any lynching right now.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 14, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »

Does that mean you're not suspicious of anyone?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 14, 2017, 05:21:58 pm »

BHK:WTF man.  Never, but never, but never ragequit like that.  It doesn't help at all.

For the record, not a vote.

@Turuin's question on Elo:It's a chess rating thing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 14, 2017, 05:43:37 pm »

@Turuin's question on Elo:It's a chess rating thing.
Oh yeah, I forgot to answer. Elo isn't just a chess rating. It's a system used to measure skill, named after some guy named Elo who came up with the system.

Also, I don't usually quote you, Tiruin, because you have long posts and I'm almost always on my phone posting. No one wants to read that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2017, 05:48:08 pm »

Well, it's not only chess, but chess is one of those things where it happens.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 14, 2017, 06:29:59 pm »

Tiruin
The only paragraph under the quote was the one. Everything else was my own monologue-narration. :P

Basically: Why did you say Yes. You're pretty much like, but different from, TDS. Brevity. Conciseness?

Briefly, there's a lot of inconsistency in his behavour from what I see. His initial scum read on Webadict based off not liking webadict's play, then that seemed to get sort of resolved between them to the point that he was briefly neutral on Webadict. Then he goes right back on the wubba-lubba-dub-dub train over the exact same issue. And all of this strongly clashes with his behaviour to TBF, who he said he didn't want lynched precisely because his behaviour was annoying (and after it was mentioned that B12 doesn't typically use jesters and they don't typically end the game he did nothing to indicate a change in that stance).

His ignorance of how TDS's power works in spite of having already been through this once for TBF's turn on the chopping block also make me think he's not particularly concerned with the day phase of the game, which typically means scum.

Cinder
What's your plan to find scum if you're ok with losing the day phase to a no lynch?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:42 pm »

<snip>
To be fair, I could have a role with elements I'm hiding, as well as made my roleclaim in a manner where being called out won't effect me. It IS a BYOR, so it's best to not assume that.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:21 pm »

I was sinply mad enough to ignore TBF at that point. He's still unchanged.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2017, 11:21:30 pm »

Tiruin

Briefly, there's a lot of inconsistency in his behavour from what I see. His initial scum read on Webadict based off not liking webadict's play, then that seemed to get sort of resolved between them to the point that he was briefly neutral on Webadict. Then he goes right back on the wubba-lubba-dub-dub train over the exact same issue. And all of this strongly clashes with his behaviour to TBF, who he said he didn't want lynched precisely because his behaviour was annoying (and after it was mentioned that B12 doesn't typically use jesters and they don't typically end the game he did nothing to indicate a change in that stance).

His ignorance of how TDS's power works in spite of having already been through this once for TBF's turn on the chopping block also make me think he's not particularly concerned with the day phase of the game, which typically means scum.
There's consistency however, when you see his reaction for TDS Voting him, which would hardly stand as ignorance although it is questionable why this matter wasn't taken into account--meaning it really seems less like scum when you see that kind of reaction (because...I don't see how it 'typically means scum' when "concerned with day phase" is more, and better contextualized into "I got hammered and my vote doesn't mean anything" which has been his consistent behavior lately even before or towards TBF's time)
I'm really curious how you think 'not particularly concerned' typically means scum, really.

1. Would you have given this kind of thinking later on? Because it only came out when pressed as it seems. And I don't like 'seems'.
2. His behavior to TBF and webadict has been consistent. He has been against webadict for a point seemingly before what you said there.

I don't see this inconsistency you're seeing.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 15, 2017, 03:45:06 am »

Yeah. The only people who act scummy right now are kind of confirmed town in my eyes for other reasons, so it's somewhat confusing.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 15, 2017, 03:48:23 am »

Yeah. The only people who act scummy right now are kind of confirmed town in my eyes for other reasons, so it's somewhat confusing.
Who are. . .?

Also you do have a Y/N to still add in. :P

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:56 am »

And who is that?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57