Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get surface candy?  (Read 3383 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get surface candy?
« on: February 08, 2017, 07:37:27 am »

Pretty much what the title says... I want to play around with candy in an extreme way... you know... adamantine walls... adamantine doors... adamantine statues... adamantine socks... If I had my way, there'd be a volcano next to it for easy magma access. What world gen parameters would make this, or does someone have a world made already like this I could DL?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get surface candy?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:21:46 pm »

This does not exist, except as a bug from a long, long time ago.If you want a lot of candy, you are going to have to dig for it. Your best bet for finding lots of candy is to use DFHack and "prospect all" on embark. Use the "die" command to rapidly quit without saving if there is less than, oh say 3000 pieces of candy. You can legitimately multiply candy using a stack splitting and remelting scheme, but this is somewhat hard to engineer, and tedious. If you aren't against hackery, you can use the "tubefill" command over and over to refill mined out candy canes.
Of course, even candy clothing decays and eventually disappears. And constructions are unbreakable and immune to damage no matter what material they are. So candy constructions are just for looks (and wealth, I guess) they provide no real benefit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 01:41:31 pm »

You could also make a mod with a certain plant/reaction/stone producing candy, then generate a world where you had access to it that way.
One wheel short of a wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 01:57:30 pm »

Set magma sea depth to maximum (100 - but I suspect it can go higher with .txt editing). Maybe do that also for levels above magma sea, since sometimes miracle poles can reach the topmost cavern. Also, you get more of them with three caverns.

It makes the map pointlessly fat, granted, but I've seen 12k candy when perusing a normal-sized embark (3x3 or 4x4, not sure) before.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:15:03 pm »

In addition to increasing the depth of the magma sea, I'd also try to increase the distance between the sea and the third cavern. With normal world gens, it's not uncommon for spires to reach the third cavern, but fairly unusual to reach the 2:nd.
However, if you just want to play around with unlimited candy without any attempts to be "fair", I'd try NJW2000's suggestion.

Once I did get a world with about 50 Z levels between the sea and the 3:rd cavern, with a spire that breached that cavern, and I had 2-3 additional spires as well on a normal 3*3 embark. I had all the candy I needed...

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »

excessive amounts of adamantine, that sounds fun
You could also make a mod with a certain plant/reaction/stone producing candy, then generate a world where you had access to it that way.
if i say made adamantine cotton that could be found naturally would that mean the elves, humans, and goblins could bring adamantine equipment during sieges?
seems brutal but a fair way for it to be balanced
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:30:27 am »

This thread from 2013 suggests some worldgen parameters that affect the generation of candy.  I haven't actually tried the methods suggested in it because I'd like to understand worldgen more than I do (barely at all).

I'm not sure if you can get it to the surface, but you can apparently do worldgen to get absurdly tall spires of mostly safely mineable candy.

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:53:01 am »

In this vein, I wonder if you could create an adamantine tree, or underground plant... An underground plant would be pretty much exclusive to dwarves I feel (maybe humans), but adamantine trees would mean that the wood armor elves bring might actually be something worth getting, and perhaps make them worthy adversaries finally.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:50:14 am »

use all you embark points on microline and liar skill for the starting serven
Ô_ quack

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:33:28 pm »

Pretty much what the title says... I want to play around with candy in an extreme way... you know... adamantine walls... adamantine doors... adamantine statues... adamantine socks...

You want DFHack's 'changelayer' command. Place the game cursor on a layer of stone you don't care to lose, then type in DFHack:

Code: [Select]
changelayer RAW_ADAMANTINE all_biomes
You can change multiple layers for even more mythical metal.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:29:00 am »

use all you embark points on microline and liar skill for the starting serven
What's "microline"?

Also, what's this "candy" everybody else is talking about?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:43:32 am »

microline is a thing in the game that have some things in common with candy, like fool's gold can pass as gold. Candy is a thing you will know when you play the game further. I don't wanna spoil you, but If you really want to know now you will find it in the internet
Ô_ quack

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54:04 am »

Quietust knows very well what you're talking about. For some reason Quietust dislikes the term "candy" and there is no such thing as microline, as it's called microCline. Those jabs tend to pass way over the heads of those targeted, though.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 09:09:52 am »

After all those years, i doubt anyone wanting to play DF isn't aware that there are adamantines, demons and hell, so there should be no need of "candy", "clowns" and "circus" to cover spoilers in my opinion.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:21:43 am »

After all those years, i doubt anyone wanting to play DF isn't aware that there are adamantines, demons and hell, so there should be no need of "candy", "clowns" and "circus" to cover spoilers in my opinion.

newbs
though personally i call adamantine "blue metal", hell "HFS" and i still say clowns
not for any censorship reason but rather because i just like those terms

i actually knew about the spoilers before i had heard the censorship terms because ive been reading the wiki longer than the forums, but some newbs seem to come here first
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/
Pages: [1] 2