Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73863 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »

VOYAGER IS TOO CRAMPED
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:22 pm »

I never understood why people hate on Voyager so much. I only watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager, and I thought that they were all on about the same level.

It throws away it's premise of a federation ship lost far from home and instead tries to be TNG again. Basically every episode ends with a reset to the status quo. Also I personally think voyager has more weaker episodes and there is definitely rehashing of TNG episodes.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2017, 06:26:44 pm »

Quotidian amusement:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy
The word hypocrisy comes from the Greek ὑυπόκρισις (hypokrisis), which means "jealous", "play-acting", "acting out", "coward" or "dissembling".

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master – that's all."
(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll)

Spoiler: Loud Whispers (click to show/hide)
Hypocrisy:

The practice of claiming to have higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.
‘his target was the hypocrisy of suburban life’
‘she was irritated to be accused of hypocrisy’
‘spokesmen unversed in the smoother hypocrisies of diplomacy’

Origin
Middle English: from Old French ypocrisie, via ecclesiastical Latin, from Greek hupokrisis ‘acting of a theatrical part’, from hupokrinesthai ‘play a part, pretend’, from hupo ‘under’ + krinein ‘decide, judge’.
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hypocrisy
Your definition is out of date by a mere few thousand years

Spoiler: feelotraveller (click to show/hide)

Wait, you mean that words can change their meaning.  OMG how will we ever know what 'reactionary' means?  :P

By the way it was not a definition but an etymology... but that fiend Lord Whiskers is back wielding the holy grail of the OED Millenial Edition (with the Secret Addendum containing 'bants' and other undisclosed updates). Must bow down before the master.  :xD

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2017, 06:31:49 pm »

I never understood why people hate on Voyager so much. I only watched TNG, DS9, and Voyager, and I thought that they were all on about the same level.

It throws away it's premise of a federation ship lost far from home and instead tries to be TNG again. Basically every episode ends with a reset to the status quo. Also I personally think voyager has more weaker episodes and there is definitely rehashing of TNG episodes.
The status quo point, while true, is also endemic to all of Star Trek. The opportunity to deviate existed for Voyager, but TV shows that allowed permanent changes to the plot weren't kosher until just a few years ago.

It is a shame though. The one episode set far in the future that has a false historical record of Voyager as an brutal warship that tried to commit genocide against them was one of the best and shows what could have been.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »

The best Star Trek episode ever: TNG episode 1, because Men in Skirts.  And then we hit a discontinuity.  :'(

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »

Oh man, the future-alt-ship talk reminded me of how fucking badass that tri-nacelle Enterprise with the big fuckoff cannon was.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2017, 01:41:38 am »

New unpopular Opinion!

We ought to let pandas go extinct.

There are much more important species we could be investing in the survival of, and to much greater effect.
Plus, they can't really even survive on thier own. They were cool, but it's time to let it go people.
 When the pandas themselves are doing thier best to frustrate your efforts to keep them alive... When the species is obviously never going to make it back to a self sufficient, sustainable, wild population...

We need to let it go.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2017, 02:35:23 am »

An opinion I've heard a few times, but a flawed one. Pandas aren't like a dying person on life support, they're a dying person on life support who is dying because you're occasionally stabbing them.

The inability of pandas to survive is a direct consequence of humans destroying their habitats. So it's a bit hypocritical for humans to not support their conservation. The same would happen to any other species.

In addition, your premise is factually untrue. Just last year the giant panda was reclassified from "endangered" to "vulnerable", which is the conservation level just below "non-threatened". Their numbers have been increasing, and there have been rebounds from similar numbers in other species such as the bald eagle.

Biodiversity is something we don't have the technology to restore from extinction. Any losses to that are permanent, as well as the effects of that loss. It's not just foolish but suicidal to allow ourselves to say one species should live and another should not when we in fact know so little about the consequences on other species, including humans. The dust from the Sahara feeds the Amazon. You don't want to wake up and find out we fucked something up that we can't fix.

And finally, frankly our efforts so far have been pathetic. The conservation movement worldwide survives on a small drip of funds and does great things with it, but would do even more if we valued it correctly. There's not a zero-sum game being sucked up by the adorable faces of pandas, there's just a failure by human beings to prioritize what we do with our resources.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:31 am »

Hey, hey, only functionally permanent. Assuming there's still an atmosphere and conditions that aren't entirely inimical to life, a depleted biosphere would eventually build diversity back up!

It's just take, y'know, at least a few million years :P

Though we probably could manage some things on the technological front if we opened the flood gates on cloning and genetic engineering, stopped worrying about things like viability and resource efficiency, and just started doing it like nature intended and throwing shit against a (conditionally) metaphorical wall until things stuck. Just have to figure out what to do with all the leftovers. Maybe stillborn genetic abominations would still be edible?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:15 am »

yeah take samples of every bee species remaining and genetically modify them to be immune to our pesticides and presto issue about pollination is solved!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:50 am »

and just started doing it like nature intended and throwing shit against a (conditionally) metaphorical wall until things stuck.
Atomic Gardening!  (Maybe on an unintentionally global scale?)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 07, 2017, 08:49:37 am »

Closer to atomic husbandry, and probably with less cobalt and more retroviruses or somethin', but you're getting the right idea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 07, 2017, 09:41:45 am »

Closer to atomic husbandry, and probably with less cobalt and more retroviruses or somethin', but you're getting the right idea.
Am I? Oh good. All the other scientists said I was crazy and that I could proceed with my so-called-'diabolical' plans only over their dead bodies. So now it appears that I was completely justified and they were only half right.

Now I just need to get the big countdown timer looking just right.  It'll be my big moment on worldwide television and live video - streaming, after all, don't want to make it look like my operation is running on a shoestring, with a shoddy picture-in-picture effect atop my silhouetted profile, do I?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 07, 2017, 09:49:32 am »

yeah take samples of every bee species remaining and genetically modify them to be immune to our pesticides and presto issue about pollination is solved!
Don't think we isolated colony collapse disorder to be pesticide-related, yet.

https://www.epa.gov/pollinator-protection/colony-collapse-disorder
Sudden loss of a colony’s worker bee population with very few dead bees found near the colony.

It's aliens stealing our bees
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »

Course, misinformation is also a problem, people read or hear "bees" and think "honey bees" but solitary bees are incredibly important pollinators, various wasps are too, though they're rather dickish, and fuck hornets in their big bastardy faces.

Spiders on the other hand are cute, from stuff like a jumping spider I brought inside to show the missus who rode along happily and then when they noticed we were back outside they comically pointed their whole body up at the sky and fell back onto my palm, to the way a big aurantia kinda wobbles and creeps around like a little old lady with a walker!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 57