Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377822 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3960 on: July 20, 2017, 06:09:06 am »

I think you misunderstand how just how simple the Linkgem is.
We already know exactly how to convert magic into sound using the structure of a gem.
Revison: Mathemagics [3]
We've done it!!!

Well, Jibril Saadiya has done it.

Magical energy has a property called "wavelength" - a term Jibril made up to reflect how this property is much like the waves of the ocean.  By once again adjusting the spellwork that pulls magic from the air and collects it inside the confines of the crystal we've managed to produce a prototype that actually drains magic quickly enough to work as a counter-spell.  It had something to do with matching the "phase sequence" of the quartz to the "natural wavelength" of magical interference.  Magical energy conjured within range of the crystal is dissipated back into aether faster than it can be pulled - this dissipation was originally done through heat, but now only produces an annoying hum.  Our researchers are still trying to understand the equations that comprise this new field of mathematics - now termed "Mathemagics".

1.) Making the anti-magic charm convert magic into sound instead of heat was a completely intentional and conscious action by us. It wasn't an accident or something we just noticed. We did it on purpose.
2.) Doing so falls under the field of Mathemagics. Mathemagics, since then, has been developed to extreme amounts. Magegems, Aethergems. Circuits. How we use magic almost like electricity. We already knew exactly how to create this effect, and since then we've greatly improved at the science behind it.

3.) This revision was 3 months ago. In the year 922. Right now it's 944. 22 in-game years have passed since we intentionally did this.

Really, Linkgems should be effortless. They're applying a practically-mastered science to make very slight improvements to something we intentionally did 22 years ago.

You know the Tin Can telephone? It's a very simple device. Sound hits the insides of the can, is transmitted via vibrations along the string to the other can where it then travels across air again.
This is what the Linkgem is. Sound hits the Linkgem, is transmitted via magic along the crystal to the other Linkgem where it then travels across air again.

We know how to turn magic into sound. We've known how to do this for 22 years. This is just applying the concept differently then how it already is applied.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: July 20, 2017, 07:29:49 am »

Maybe start with telegraphs instead of a quantum link.

But anyways. SPACE.

Quote from: Designs
2 - ASAF-F44: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist
1 - Vigilant Sky Cutter: Lightforger
1 Mage-Slayers: RAM
2 - Antimagic Shielding: Kadzar, RAM
1 Living Spell: The Watcher of Worlds: RAM
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:38 am »

Please do not vote for the ASAF-F44 it is doing the exact same horrible thing of trying to do too many things all at once.

New Thrust Type
New reactor
New aerodynamics
New Gun
New Communications
Heavy Armor

We will get like -2 to the rolls.

It looks like the enemy can now use their anti magic from their own lines/ships while still using magic, meaning that they are no longer effected by their own anti magic in any spell.  On a revision.

Homing Blast Shells

This upgrade to the blast shells has a mage link themselves to the internal mechanisms before the cannon ball is launched from an HA-1.  The shell is then directed by blasts controlled by the mage making it extremely accurate, while the aethergems and blastshell effect detonates on hitting the enemy, creating an even more spectacular explosion then the original Blastshell-E.

This creates a shell that is both extremely fast and accurate at medium range, guided by an intelligent person, and has more explosive power then any existing shell, all without raising expense past expensive.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:30 am »

Homing shells are a nice idea, but there is nothing to hit at medium range. A lot of their stuff works at long, extreme or BLOS range.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:16 pm »

I expect that mage-slayers would work at longer ranges.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: July 20, 2017, 03:44:28 pm »

yes, mage hutners can still attack at longer range... but they don't have cannons. what is the intended target of the homing shell?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: July 20, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »

No, the mage-slayers design that I submitted. The one with the projectiles that home in on antimagic?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: July 20, 2017, 05:16:27 pm »

Please do not vote for the ASAF-F44 it is doing the exact same horrible thing of trying to do too many things all at once. - it does less things than the F43 and these things are less ambitious and it's an improvement of an existing design instead of trying to break into an area we've never done before.

New Thrust Type - building on existing thrust type from the F43
New reactor - this isn't new and reading it would reveal that. The reactor is just the name of the place where the Aethergems go
New aerodynamics - false and irrelevant
New Gun - "upscale an existing gun by a bit" != new gun
New Communications wired "communications" that are extraordinarily simple and easy to do.
Heavy Armor - also false. The reactor has a bit heavier armor than the rest of the craft but other than that armor is unchanged.

We will get like -2 to the rolls.
But we did way more with the F43 and that stuff was never done before and we just got a -1. The F44 is building off of the F43 and does less than the F43.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:52:59 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: July 20, 2017, 05:21:16 pm »

+1 to the f44 sho long as you give it a cool name.

We need to fix our broken stuff guys, not be makeing new stuff.

If they developed their new anti magic in a revision, we ought to be able to counter it in one. Shielded circuits is a very reasonable revision. Think of it like emp hardened stuff irl
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: July 20, 2017, 05:54:28 pm »

3 - ASAF-F44 Avenger: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon
2 - Antimagic Shielding: Kadzar, RAM

Its working nickname shall be the "Avenger."
Because it uses UFO-like propulsion and is a new design meant to defeat the enemy at their own game.

Is good name.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: July 20, 2017, 06:05:01 pm »

Chief, I was not a fan of the  F43, and I see this as yet another stack on an overreaching shit sandwich that goes straight from 'broken as fuck hovercraft' to 'bestest air-superiority fighter that manages maneuverability that took real nations half a century'.

I don't like the fact that both the Link gems and the propulsion system both seem revision worthy in their own right.

The rest of the F44 is an incremental but serious improvement to the F43.

Fresh, frozen.
Light, yet filling.
Virtually spotless.

Still. Helmacon has a point. We can't afford to have the F43, much as I dislike it, to remain the completely unusable shitshow that it currently is. Maybe, MAYBE, we'll get lucky and it'll get a great roll and the 'Avenger' will get off the ground and work well enough to not be idiotic, and maybe we won't roll shit on our revision to anti-magic, and maybe we can put an end to this sudden blitz.

I'm not willing to stake on that maybe.

I'm backing anti-magic shielding. However, if there isn't a thruster revision for the revision phase, I will propose one, and I'll support most reasonable revisions aimed at gateway improvements to an F44.

3 - ASAF-F44 Avenger: Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist, helmacon
3 - Antimagic Shielding: Kadzar, RAM, Draignean
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: July 20, 2017, 06:17:27 pm »

The thing is, anti-magic resistance in a design will just put as back at square 1.

We lost before they upgraded anti-magic resistance and we'll continue losing afterwards if we just waste our design on it. There's only so much we can do with a revision, and Moskurg is getting a design to actually use to further their own goals.

So if we do the anti-magic revision and it fails, that means we'll still have the F44 to deploy as soon as we get anti-magic resistance. Hell, the F44 could still conceivably useful as their anti-magic has to be consciously targeted and a working F44 could just stay out of those zones. Not nearly as useful as it could be, but still useful.
If we do the anti-magic design and it fails OR works, that means we'll lose as we can't hope to possibly change the tide of battle with one revision.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: July 20, 2017, 06:26:09 pm »

We need to fix our broken stuff guys, not be makeing new stuff.

If they developed their new anti magic in a revision, we ought to be able to counter it in one.
We need to address the antimagic. I agree with improving broken stuff in theory, but this is terrible terrible broken stuff. We are throwing a flying machine when they have complete control of the weather and a massive air force. It is doomed twice-over under weight of numbers and environment. Not to mention that its control methods are mysterious and don't really make sense as to how someone can control it when they are not the source of the magic holding it aloft. There is "shoring up your investments" and "sunk cost fallacy". Just because this disaster was supported once, and utterly failed to meet any single one of its design goals, nor even make appreciable progress in the relevant fields, doesn't mean that we should continue to attempt to build a design that is a convenient revision away from being hard-countered. They could revise their wind to flip it upside down, or revise their lightning to cause thermal expansion and blow them up, or revise their tornadoes into gank-teams that shake the thing until the contents are mashed, or revise their ballistae to shoot heavy nets, or revise their mind-reading spell to distract people a little while they are trying to control the minor incarnation of pure chaos that is keeping them from flipping over and falling to their death. Or they could just use the large metal bolt that they already have, with the lucky strike that they already have, to hit the misguided coffin and throw off its balance, once again, causing it to plummet to its doom. Maybe, MAYBE, if the propulsion actually works this time, it might be stable enough to withstand a little turbulence, and hit anything, ever, because 4 thrusts per second is way too messy to aim from, or to survive your head being jostled that much... but with no specific mention of the propulsion being prioritised we can just expect a repeat of the previous turn, until we roll a 5 or something, whatever doesn't count as a "bad roll" to people who don't understand dice.

Currently, our cannons do not work. We need to get our cannons working. That is how we stop making new things and start fixing what we already have.

As for a revision beating a revision? If that were true then this game would be pointless. The actual content of the revision matters. The Keggers revised their antimagic to be useable from their airships, probably by allowing them to specifically mould its shape around sensitive materials. They were already doing things like that ages ago. What we want from a revision is to go from having no defense at all against their antimagic aside from allowing crystals to persist(not be summoned, just persist) in the presence of antimagic, a feat that they could always perform within our own antimagic(which is the large part of how their antimagic is cheathax). Now, instead of hard-countering their antimagic towards one, single material, once it is already in a largely mundane state, we want all of our active magical effects, such as the explosion spells that need to be constantly resummoned over and over again with no mundane fuel or intake in complete contravention of all that is mundane, to be universally functional while within and antimagic field.

Their revision: Change the shape of one friendly spell. This has already been done in more-or less the same way(When they made the clouds bigger), it just needs to be better.
Our revision: Immunity for all of our equipment to a hostile spell. This has already been done in an extremely specific scenario that only affected the entity itself in a specific state when it was basically inert, and the process was mostly centred upon making it inert, now we want it to radiate a field of complete immunity to everything around it in complete contravention to any properties previously displayed in this field. Even our antimagic charms were completely transparent to their antimagic fields but now we are supposed to turn our antimagic-transparent crystals into antimagic conduits without removing their antimagic resistance somehow.

Their revision: Change the shape of one friendly spell.
Our revision: Immunity for all of our equipment to a hostile spell.
Not all revisions are equal.
We need to fix our broken cannons, not be fooling around with ridiculous flying contraptions.

The thing is, anti-magic resistance in a design will just put as back at square 1.
Or we could do the living spell and actually get some theoretical toys to play with that would support our other designs. Like flight computers to stabilise the floating coffin or autoaiming for our cannons.

'Or we could do the mage-slayers and defeat antimagic by killing all the mages that try to use it. A "beat antimagic" design does not have to be purely that with no progress. A revision, on the other hand, pretty much does, has a greatly reduced scope over what it can protect, and can roll badly and just fail with us having no recourse to fix it.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: July 20, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »

I do want to do flight computers + auto-aiming (Mindgems) at some point but definitely not now. But using them as a possible solution for the F43 is just a bad idea. As omnipotent as a pilot could be, it won't fix the inherent issues with the F43's propulsion.
Then there's the fact that it has a puny gun, and how it's literally a flying bomb, and much much more. The F43 will take far too many revisions to be directly practical.

'Or we could do the mage-slayers and defeat antimagic by killing all the mages that try to use it. A "beat antimagic" design does not have to be purely that with no progress. A revision, on the other hand, pretty much does, has a greatly reduced scope over what it can protect, and can roll badly and just fail with us having no recourse to fix it.
See, this is funny. You say that an AM-Resistance design doesn't have to just do anti-magic resistance, but...
1.) The current propsed AM-Resistance design does just do anti-magic resistance and nothing else. You may have had a point if it did do something else, but it doesn't.
2.) If you really believe that AM-Resistance is this super challenging design (it's not) then that means the design would have to be practically dedicated to it, no?

Chief, I was not a fan of the  F43, and I see this as yet another stack on an overreaching shit sandwich that goes straight from 'broken as fuck hovercraft' to 'bestest air-superiority fighter that manages maneuverability that took real nations half a century'.
...he says, ignoring the fact that our artillery is on par with 20th century artillery and that we have internal combustion engines in the year 944.

Our advantages come from the fact that we can leverage our magic to make technology that won't be available for centuries. The F44 relies on this concept. Our cannons rely on this concept. Our engines rely on this concept.
Basically all of our designs rely on using magic to make technology seemingly far ahead of our time. It makes no sense to suddenly limit ourselves on real-world technology development now.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: July 20, 2017, 07:38:11 pm »

Can we replace the weird sphere pilot system with a simple joystick?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 301