Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 375623 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:21 pm »

mostly, I don't like how for the jungle you only described the duel, since it obscures most factors of the actual battle, or at least makes them harder to understand.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 01, 2017, 12:16:02 pm »

Joining this side. Long live the King, glory to Arstotzka!

+1 to Razorsilk Webs, since my interpretation of the update is that we're having more trouble with their cavalry than we are with the jungle environment.

Also, evictedSaint, the army numbers are still being tracked right? Could you include that in the update (our reinforcements, and if we manage to fill our losses or not)?

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2017, 12:36:58 pm »

Ah, sorry.  I suppose I did a rather poor job of that.  I'll do better next time.

Both sides are once again at full troops - both due to Moskurg chivalry, and Arstotzkan pragmatism.  Most casualties occurred in the jungle, followed by the mountains, but neither side was able to successfully route well enough to secure unrecoupable losses for the other.  The King has evenly distributed troops across the map, except for the jungle where the largest faction of our army now sits.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 12:40:17 pm by evictedSaint »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »

Hmm...They must have used magic to get so many horses all of a sudden. If they mundanely obtained them all, it would've had to've been quite a while ago to get the supply set up, and it would've been more of a trickle.

Conjure Horses: Summons horses from a nearby location of the caster's choosing to the caster. With this, we can deplete their supply of horses from right under their noses...literally!

Banishment Theory: A reversal of our conjuration, we learn how to send miscellaneous objects far away. Well-rounded uses, potentially banishing ships, horses, other mages, etc., but would do best with a turn of setup before making it into spells.

Spiked Ground: A modification of out pillar-summoning, metal spikes are conjured out of the ground. Mages can work together to spread the area of effect wider. Can impale and impede their cavalry units, even scaring their horses.

Can anyone think of anything to prevent them from getting horses in the first place, rather than just making their horses less effective? You know, treating the cause and not the symptom?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »

Hmm...They must have used magic to get so many horses all of a sudden. If they mundanely obtained them all, it would've had to've been quite a while ago to get the supply set up, and it would've been more of a trickle.

We got to instantly deploy all our armor too. It's just part of the game.

Conjure Horses: Summons horses from a nearby location of the caster's choosing to the caster. With this, we can deplete their supply of horses from right under their noses...literally!

Conjuration is not a teleport spell.

Banishment Theory: A reversal of our conjuration, we learn how to send miscellaneous objects far away. Well-rounded uses, potentially banishing ships, horses, other mages, etc., but would do best with a turn of setup before making it into spells.
Conjuration is not a teleport spell.

Spiked Ground: A modification of out pillar-summoning, metal spikes are conjured out of the ground. Mages can work together to spread the area of effect wider. Can impale and impede their cavalry units, even scaring their horses.

I guess, but I'd rather upgrade our Firewalls to do the same thing. Horses don't like being on fire.

Can anyone think of anything to prevent them from getting horses in the first place, rather than just making their horses less effective? You know, treating the cause and not the symptom?

Honestly, they probably revised their horses to make them cheaper. Doubt it's even particularly hard, considering it's just a modification.

Your apprentices can now use Cheap spells in Melee combat

I am confused now. Does that mean they couldn't do anything before that. After all, cheap is the lowest expense level.

Anyway, considering we need a cheap spell so as to take sdvsntsges of our new apprentices.

Conjure Crystal Caltrop Small, tiny durable caltrops that can be summoned easily .

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2017, 01:50:10 pm »

Your apprentices can now use Cheap spells in Melee combat

I am confused now. Does that mean they couldn't do anything before that. After all, cheap is the lowest expense level.

Please forgive me, I'm just going off of the game mechanics I was given.  From what I can tell, Apprentices can only use Cheap spells, and Wizards use Expensive and Very Expensive.  Furthermore, they were only being used in skirmishes - I thought giving them Expensive spells after a month or two in the academy might be too powerful, so I allowed them to be used in melee's as well.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2017, 02:14:50 pm »

Your tower was made to counter their control of weather magic, but they've put multiple revisions into their control of the weather while you've put none into your tower. 

Hmmmm. This kind of bothers me. We made this tower to make things cold, them revising their weather spells doesn't change that. They didn't revise their weather spell to counter our tower (as we've yet to use it until this most recent combat phase), so it should still be effective. According to Iituems description of it, it works. That should at the very least give us the weather bonus buff and give the enemy the weather debuff. In all honesty, it should mess with their weather also simply because, as a best case scenario for them, they'd have to tug-of-war us for control over the weather. Worst case scenario it ruins all their weather because their weather spells aren't based on conjuration, but probably based on creating the right conditions for their phenomenon to happen. If thats the case, our frost tower should cancel out (at the very least) their lightning magic. Thundersnow storms are incredibly rare, and are basically a perfect storm scenario. They occur almost exclusively in the Great Lakes area of the US and Canada, and incredibly rarely in other places. So, from a meteorology standpoint, we've been jipped unless one of two things is happening:

1) Their magic is based on conjuration (like our spells, but not like their original schools) and they make a storm out of nothing but magic regardless of the conditions around them. I find this unlikely.
2) Their control over the weather is so strong that it can overcome a larges-scale, long standing, highly complex magical array that is considered a Master Level spell by Iituem.

Unless one of those two things is true, then we've been a bit shortchanged here.

+1 for crystal caltraps

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »

It did remove the "Hot" bonus from the jungle, which was a Moskurg advantage.  From what I read from Iituem's description of the tower, it simply lowers a regions temperature one degree from Hot>Temperate>Cold.

It wasn't cold enough to turn the rainstorm into a blizzard, but it did remove their temperature advantage.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2017, 02:26:58 pm »

I guess, but I'd rather upgrade our Firewalls to do the same thing. Horses don't like being on fire.

I believe their horses are already leaping through our firewalls with impunity, so I would think that the fear effect is gone. Caltrops sound good though, so I'm changing my vote to Conjure Crystal Caltrops instead of Razorsilk webs, noting that we're explicitly making this spell to be Cheap.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2017, 02:43:30 pm »

I believe their horses are already leaping through our firewalls with impunity, so I would think that the fear effect is gone.

From what I can tell, the firewalls never provided a fear effect to begin with; they instead provided a solid defensive boost to your troops.

I would also like to add that I'm willing to step down if there's any question of bias; I promise I'm doing my best to remain impartial, but if it's a concern then I would rather the game go on hiatus than stay as the GM.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »

There's no question if bias, but people are slways going to complain when their Master plsn doesn't eork.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »

Crystal Caltrops: [3-1, 4+1, 6]
With their new training, our apprentices can now handle more spells than the basic Conjure Mist.  With this in mind, we begin development of a spell purposefully designed to be easy to cast while still maintaining usefulness - ideally doing something to combat the Moskurg Calvary that swarms our lines like overgrown rats.  Working diligently on some of the more basic principles of magic, our mages have developed a relatively simple spell that spawns dozens of randomly-shaped crystals at a time.  Without relying on a uniform shape these crystals can be cast into being with minimal effort by our esteemed wizards.  These caltrops are random, jagged needles of crystal glass that are nearly invisible at night, sharp enough to pierce the hoof of an unsuspecting horse...most of the time.  They shatter into nonexistance after being stepped on, so troops moving through a single spot would be able to wear through the defenses.  This by itself is not a major problem, since the goal was to disrupt formations of horsemen and make the enemy wary of charging our positions.

Unfortunately...despite our best efforts, crystal magic isn't something that a beginner can learn in the span of a month.  Only the best students can master the art of crystal conjuration, and the rest fail to produce even the basic cylinders and spheres.  Our mages think they can reduce the complexity of the spell by developing a "template" of sorts, allowing apprentices to cast the spell without a deeper understanding of the magic that powers it.  Alternatively, more aggressive training of our future wizards could give them the skills they need to cast crystal magic.  Either way, this spell will be restricted to our regular wizards until we can make the process easier. Expensive.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:17:18 pm by evictedSaint »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 01, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »

I just realized something that we never considered before. Granted, our next phase is a revision phase, so we can't vote for it now. Yet..this may have potential.

Multicasting Techniques: Teaches our wizards how to deploy and handle multiple spells at close to the same time. While exhausted from one type of spell, they would be able to work on another, different spell. This will allow (at least some) of our wizarding forces to use 2 spells in the same year. The extra spell may be limited to a cheap spell, or maybe both spells would have to be inexpensive, and there MAY be a slight reduction in the effectiveness of one/both spells, but, unless we roll poorly, we won't get all of these problems at once, and we can increase our overall effectiveness.

As for this revision phase, we COULD work on improving our caltrops, but we could also..

Research Animal Conjuration: Learn how to conjure miscellaneous animals, allowing us to make better animal-summoning spells (as in, a bonus to rolls). Sharp fish to cut holes in enemy ships, spiders to weave crystal-shard-laced webs, talking, possibly camouflaging parrots to hear and steal the enemy's secrets, including their spells, etc.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 01, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »

Research Animal Conjuration: Learn how to conjure miscellaneous animals, allowing us to make better animal-summoning spells (as in, a bonus to rolls). Sharp fish to cut holes in enemy ships, spiders to weave crystal-shard-laced webs, talking, possibly camouflaging parrots to hear and steal the enemy's secrets, including their spells, etc.

New tech in revisions gets massive penalties. Remember the mines?

Revision : Replace rare wood in our longbow with plentiful metal.

The enemy's forces are lightly armored, and their horses aren't armored at all. If we get more bows, wecan slaughter them before they get to our lines.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:49:16 pm by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 01, 2017, 07:02:19 pm »

Cloud Kill: A variant of the continuous fog spell, containing a caustic acid instead.  To be cast at a distance on enemy squads of course.

Or what if we just revise our War Axes into some kind of half axe polearm like a Halberd.  We basically have heavy infantry without a strong way to stop charging horsemen.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 301