Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377056 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1515 on: April 30, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder here.  I don't know if your read the big red letters in the last update, but I'm gonna go ahead and repost them here.

NEW RULES.  READ.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In case you still haven't read them, I want you guys to know that if you find yourselves in an argument going nowhere or becoming angry at another player on your team, take a moment and step away from the computer.  If you can't even do that, then simply continue the discussion via PM's.  Failing to be civil in the thread is a bannable offense.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 30, 2017, 02:21:49 pm »

What?
Rifled barrels don't solve lucky strike. I'll admit they aren't totally useless and extending the range wouldn't protect our artillery, but lucky strike will still harass us at land and sea.

One of our main problems is the fact that we can't advance because their ranged weapons destroy our forces before they can do any damage. Rifles barrels may help alleviate part of the problem by decreasing the ballistae they have to shoot us, but it doesn't fix this problem.

And we have 2 revisions. Why waste a design on a revision? Range and accuracy are both things that can be easily done via revision.
Ebbor, we also aren't at a range disadvantage. We're equally matched in terms of range.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 30, 2017, 02:28:16 pm »

Lucky strike is negated if the enemy has nothing to shoot with because it got destroyed before they got into range.

And yeah, I don't want to waste designs on a revision, but it's much better than bringing an axe to an artillery fight. There's nothing else decent that stood a chance of winning.

Sorry, my mistake. Range is a big issue though, it's what the enemy commanders focus upon.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 30, 2017, 02:30:46 pm »

equally matched, when they have magically guided weapons, is a range disadvantage.
I still believe, however, that we should implement the mk2 cannon and only then revise it to work.

edit: that is to say, it has a chance to win. Has a vote now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 30, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »

If you convince others, I'll switch.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 30, 2017, 02:39:01 pm »

I want the crystal defenses, either my design or 10ebbor10's, and then 10ebbor10's cannon.  I will vote for whichever of those is winning.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 30, 2017, 02:44:41 pm »

Thoughts on the Anchored Crystal Plates, Void?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 30, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »

Thoughts on the Anchored Crystal Plates, Void?

I dont know, seems more complicated to build multiple large interconnected plates then a single structure to start with as we do not have experience doing things on these scales, but I would rather those then messing with axes and lances.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 30, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »

Well, the main idea is that crystal plates are super simple to make: All we do is just make a new shape of crystal - something we've done many times before.
Because that's so easy, ideally the anchored aspect could be implemented into the design, and the combined difficulty of the design would still be easier than anything else countering lucky fire.

In my eyes:
Anchored Crystal Plates > Crystal Canopy > Crystal Plates >>> Cannon Rifling

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 30, 2017, 02:55:30 pm »

You know what? I'm changing my vote, because I'm fickle like that. Maybe we can do range and accuracy in the revision after all.

0 - Disrupting Mist:
1 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer
0 - Tuneable Antimagic Charm
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres
1 - Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles
1 - Anti-antimagic Arrow: Roboson
1 - Anchored Crystal Weapons: Light Forger
2 - Rifled Barrels: 10ebbor10, Stabby
2 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro
0 - Crystal Plates

Changing to Mk2 Steam Cannon. If ebbor changes, then that's 3 votes for it.

United Forenia Forever!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: April 30, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »

Oh dear god no.
That's possibly the worst one here.

It doesn't increase range, accuracy, and it doesn't counter lucky strike. Firerate isn't a problem and reliability is a smaller problem than accuracy or range. That solves zero problems.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 30, 2017, 03:11:37 pm »

That is a design meant to be used TOGETHER with a revision to make it longer ranged. fire rate and reliability are also important because this turn the cannon becomes very expensive due to not having the mountains. We need it at its peak.

only one thing I owuld add, to either design or revision, is the ability to aim downward a bit. I remember the commander asking for something like it.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 30, 2017, 03:11:45 pm »

Move things along, guys.  I kinda need a decision to progress the game.

this turn the cannon becomes very expensive due to not having the mountains. We need it at its peak.

Future designs will not have a metal bonus to their design.  Existing metal-based equipment like your plate armor and cannons will not lose their expense bonus in their current state.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:13:37 pm by evictedSaint »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 30, 2017, 03:12:59 pm »

Then we can just cut out the middle man and use the design for something actually useful.
At this point, I'm willing to vote for anything that actually counters lucky strike. Any of the discussed designs so far are fine by me.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 30, 2017, 03:14:00 pm »

0 - Disrupting Mist:
1 - Crystal Canopy: VoidSlayer
0 - Tuneable Antimagic Charm
1 - Lucky Charms: Andres
1 - Anchored Crystal Plates: Chiefwaffles
1 - Anti-antimagic Arrow: Roboson
1 - Anchored Crystal Weapons: Light Forger
3 - Rifled Barrels: 10ebbor10, Stabby, Roboson
2 - Mk2 Steam cannon: Andrea, Azzuro
0 - Crystal Plates

I don't like any of these options really. Riflery is important and can be applied to other things later, Mk2 cant.

Edit: We could really make use of the magic disruption arrow to counter their wind and antimagic. But that still doesn't solve lucky strike I guess.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:18:48 pm by Roboson »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 301