Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377085 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1695 on: May 01, 2017, 05:40:06 am »

you mean, to make it explode in the air and cause flaming shrapnel? I suppose a continuous low powdered spell could act as a fuse.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:32 am »

But that would obviate the anti-magic purpose of the arrows, would it not?

I still don't understand why the arrows didn't have much effect. Even if Moskurg cast their antimagic to prevent the arrows from exploding, their own antimagic should hinder casting of other spells, forcing their mages to shift position.

United Forenia Forever!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:14 am »

you mean, to make it explode in the air and cause flaming shrapnel? I suppose a continuous low powdered spell could act as a fuse.

Or if we could get them to function like a battery. They store magical energy and can be hooked up to an inscripted spell to activate it. Bam! Magical weapons powered by magical batteries. Getting the timing right would be a bit difficult, but thats going to be an issue no matter the methodology. Bonus: Magic batteries can be applied to create magic guns and explosives in the future. May even be effective in anti-magic zones because it has a self-contained power source.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 01, 2017, 06:04:30 am »

I still don't understand why the arrows didn't have much effect. Even if Moskurg cast their antimagic to prevent the arrows from exploding, their own antimagic should hinder casting of other spells, forcing their mages to shift position.

Well, we asked this question.

Did they use other magic from within it?
  -You did not see any.

Which is a weird answer, since Moskurg has no visible magic. My guess is that the Moskurgians made their magic not affect their own spells.

Designs
1 - Frostball: RAM
0 - Ray of Frost:
4 - Fog-O-War: Azzuro, Andrea, Chiefwaffles, 10ebbor10
1 - Flameblast Gems: Lightforger
1 - Anchored Crystal Canopy: RAM
1 - Frost Pulsar: Roboson
0 - Linked Gems:
0 - HC1-E Mobile:
0 - antiluck charm(RAM)
0 - Anti-Projectile Ammunition

Trader Actions
0 - Give him Dogwood Wands+Tree:
0 - Give him more Crystal Weapons+Apprentice:
0 - Give him Everything: Chiefwaffles (Link to full proposal: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163277.msg7439939#msg7439939 )
3 - Send Everything including Roboson: Roboson, Azzuro, 10ebbor10
1 - The viking way: RAM
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:10:34 am by 10ebbor10 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 01, 2017, 10:00:13 am »

Also, if the design works out, what if we gave the merchant a (weapon-less) Fog-O-War in addition to everything else?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 01, 2017, 10:07:58 am »

I think he needs a year at our academy, so he can actually use our magic stuff himself. We don't actually have much that lasts without upkeep.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:11 am »

Wel that's one of he reasons he's getting an apprentice regardless of magical ability.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 01, 2017, 10:20:26 am »

We actually have nothing that's worth selling to a person without magical ability. The wands of fireball and dogwood are out, as they require magic. The crystal axes and lances aren't really permanent. He's already passed over the steam engine. And there's the cannon, but they're not exactly magical where he comes from.

United Forenia Forever!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 01, 2017, 10:29:28 am »

Again, apprentice with him. The apprentice will be trained to operate and maintain anything we give him. If he has magical abilities, great, but this way he should still leave happy one of the things we're giving him is the dogwood wand which is fairly cool and I'm sure there are other things we can hand over too.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:45 am »

dogwood wand lasts only few days, but an apprentice can make more for him

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 01, 2017, 10:59:37 am »

We actually have nothing that's worth selling to a person without magical ability. The wands of fireball and dogwood are out, as they require magic. The crystal axes and lances aren't really permanent. He's already passed over the steam engine. And there's the cannon, but they're not exactly magical where he comes from.

He has some minor magical ability, but cannot use the National Effort Wand of Fireballs you tried to sell him.  The steam engine was mundane, and he made it explicitly clear he was interested in magical artifacts.  And then you guys sold him a crate of wooden nickels.

GM : What happennedto the Army we send out. Shoukdn't they be back by now?

I'm so sorry, I forgot to write it up in the last battle report.  They have returned, having successfully repelled the invaders from the foreigners homelands.  You sustained negligable casualties due to having more highly trained and better equipped troops.

Uh.
Evicted, can we do what Roboson's proposing? Please?

Sure, I'll allow that.

HC1-E Mobile
-snip-

Your HC1-E's currently retreat at the same pace Moskurgs front line advances.  If they develop faster troops or equipment, this design would be beneficial.  At the moment I cannot see any application for this carriage beyond eventually making a tank.

So...

They managed to make a fireweapon that is longer ranged than our fireballs, magic proof, apperently cheaper, seemingly deadlier, stays in place, and all that.
Well, I'll scrap the range, that comes from their ballistae.

I'm going to call upon Rule 2.

2. Keep in mind that I am not a historian, so there will sometimes be mistakes and inaccuracies. Even in the best of circumstances, minor inconsistencies are a common occurrence. If some piece of equipment is imbalanced/unrealistic, I might consider changing it if you bring it up once -AND ONLY ONCE- and politely state your argument. However, I will err on the side of consistency with my own game, I do not like to go back and change things. Sometimes it is more important to simply keep the game running smoothly than other concerns

My argument here is simple.

It is inconsistent for a single design roll to be vastly more powerfull than several design rolls made over a long period of time.

To start: By virtue of being magical, magical fire must be better than normal fire. If it isn't (ie, mundane fireweapons are easier to develop than fireballs), then we got heavily disadvantaged when choosing our starting wand. I assume Iituem did not intend that, so to be consistent magical fire must be better than normal fire.

After all, I would not expect a simple designed peptalk to defeat Moskurg's wand of heroism.

Now, the modifiers we got for our fireball wand were significant. We got -1 for Firewand reverse engineering, and -1 for making it stick for an hour. I emphatize that was with a design bonus.

Secondly, the design is ahistorical
. The molotov cocktail was invented in the second world war. That is several centuries further away than our steam engine. Sure, alternative fire things existed in history, but those all relied on rare resources Moskurg should not posses.

Third, it's not consistent with our own rolls. When we designed the Design: Antimagic Bombs [6, 4, 5], which were even based on existing tech, we had serious limitations in range, applicability and damage. It was an explosive arrow that needed repeated fire to pierce shields. It started fires, but only very tiny ones. It had shrapnel, but stopped by armor. Our enemy does not share any of those disadvantages for their fire-stuff. In fact, their fire-stuff is completely immune to means of stopping fire.

Therefore, I do not think the design is consistent with either historical interpretations nor game mechanics as applied before now.

First off, thank you for calmly and respectfully bringing this to my attention.  I have mulled this over and come to a decision.

To begin with, it is not "a single design roll".  It is the culmination of several turns of focused work:
A design to develop ballistas.
  A revision to make ballistas stop killing their crews.
A design exploring the concept of alternate ammunition.
  A revision for cheaper ballistas and better crews.
A design for fire ammunition.
  A revision to make fire ammunition stop killing their crews.

Furthermore, their design isn't based on futuristic molotov cocktails, it's based on Greek Fire - which was invented nearly three centuries ago.  It has longer range as a byproduct of their ballista design, but the area of affect is smaller than your fireballs and cannot be spontaneously generated by a mage.

Now, all of that being said, I will concede that their effect is more pronounced than it should be.  Namely the splash damage should be dialed back to a meter in range and successfully striking a ballista with the ammo loaded should result in a cook-off.  I will make these changes in the next combat phase.

On the subject of respectful conduct, I do not want name-calling, insults, or hostile remarks.  You are all on a team, working together to develop your side.  Calling someones design "useless" and shutting them down immediately discourages creativity.  There's nothing wrong with pointing out flaws with a design, but remember that your remarks don't need to be confrontational to get your point across.  If you're going several pages with just the two of you arguing back and forth, realize your debate is going nowhere and agree to disagree.  I hope you guys are mature enough to refrain from insulting one another or resorting to name calling, because that would be a stupid reason to have to ban someone.  I don't want to type this out again, so please conduct yourself in a manner befitting a professional Arstotzkan Mathemagician.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:02:04 am by evictedSaint »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: May 01, 2017, 11:17:03 am »

I'm so sorry, I forgot to write it up in the last battle report.  They have returned, having successfully repelled the invaders from the foreigners homelands.  You sustained negligable casualties due to having more highly trained and better equipped troops.

Interesting. So, we know have a bunch of Veteran Cavalry forces standing around being useless.

Given that, we may want to attack the plains with a fast and devastating pillage and burn style assault.

It may work, if we can dramatically outflank the enemy and destroy their artillery. Such a thing would be foolish in the closed mountain and jungles, but in the plains it should work very well.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 11:19:46 am by 10ebbor10 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: May 01, 2017, 11:39:51 am »

Okay.
So that means the trader could actually go to the academy. He may not want to, but he can and that's the first step.
As long as we show him how to handle all the things we give him - especially the crystal weapons - we may be able to get that credit. And also show him how to make more dogwood wands. I'm assuming the academy teaches that too.

I assume the trader will learn how to maintain and operate the stuff we're giving him if he's going to the academy. But we should still play it safe and think of any other magical things to give him in addition to the "give everything" plan

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:31 am »

I don't want to sell all our secrets. We are already selling much.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:27 pm »

there is nothing magical in our arsenal that is permanent enough to give him, without training him in magic.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 301