Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: "Simple" Dwarven Fort, It's cold here (succession fort) Grab the save!  (Read 30920 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

who's turn is it?
You can claim the save.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i can't believe you killed the werebaron.

save is claimed.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

If it's any consolation, I tried my hardest to save him, he turned before I could finish his "Bedroom".
I didn't even want to weaponise them, they were permanent trophies :'(

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring 129

Zaz Quell looks up from his book.  What? You need me to run the fortress AGAIN?! I JUST DID THAT!  No, that was 2 years ago wasn’t it… well fine.  How bad could it be?

Corpses.  Corpses everywhere.

Reading the overseer logs, i see that our last one had a very hard time understanding the layout of our fine fortress, so allow me to assist.

Layer 00: The surface.  It's got trees and a frozen river, the trade depot, and a stairwell with an invisible retracting bridge over it.  The lever for the bridge is on layer -01.  There seems to be a secondary entrance to the south.  Don’t know what’s up with that so i sealed it off with a floor.

Layer -01: Soil.  Has the lever that operates the surface bridge.  This seals off the entire fort from above.  Also a corpses/refuse stockpile and atom smasher with nearby lever to smash the trash.  Pretty simple.

Layer -04: Fire Clay.  North is 2 farms with seed stockpile. East is a bee area, with honeycomb stockpile and screw presses.  South is wood storage with carpenter workshop.  West is turkey boxes and an animal pasture full of dogs and cats.

Layer -09: The Library of Yelling.  Also querns, presses and a craftdwarf workshop used for making more quires.  We have no written objects.  Probably should do something about that.

Layer -10: North is the food only stockpile.  East is the empty barrels stockpile, kitchen and still.  Further east is a room for assorted workshops.  South is a rather unused dining hall.  There appears to be holes in the floor due to some cavein.  I’ll patch those.  West is the drink only stockpile.

Layer -11:  North is the quantum stone stockpile, that appears to be broken.  I’ll fix that.  Also mason and mechanic workshops.  South is the Derpytec Bedroom Complex.  West is the mostly everything stockpile. Goods, furniture, leather, cloth, armor weapons ect all go here.

Layer -12:  East is an inferior wood powered forge and smelting area which we shouldn’t use.  South is the hospital, which could really use some help.  I’ll fix that.  West is the crappy barracks. 

Layer -13: South is the tavern, which is overrun with visiting humans.  We got like 30 in there.  I’m considering having the military slaughter them.  West is a noble room for our leader, followed by a room full of coffins, followed by our first entrance to the caverns.  There’s a bridge and lever right there to open and close cavern access.  We should try to only use this entrance i think, and keep the others almost always sealed off.

Layer -32: a walled off former entrance to the caverns.

Layer -80: an entrance to the caverns with bridge and lever.

Layer -83: the final and lowest entrance to the caverns with bridge and lever.

The lakes thawed while a mook was walking over it and he drown. :(

It is now summer.

Do we have native aluminum deposits here?  The mayor wants an aluminum throne…  The human merchants came and didn’t bring any aluminum.  I bought a few of their books for our great library.  In our refuse stockpile appeared a XX=peach wood bed=XX.  How does that even happen?  You can’t use up a bed!  Spent all summer pretty much sorting stuff into stockpiles and trying to cut down on all the corpses…

It is now autumn.

The dwarven caravan arrived, complete with their goblin outpost liaison Iton Iridmeng.  Hmm, i accidently ordered every object to the depot. Better fix that.  It involved deconstructing the depot with the traders in it.  They probably didn’t like that.  The sheer amount of junk we got out of this more than makes up for any sorting and stockpiling i did.  We now have more unsorted junk than ever.

We now have a well on layer -79.  That’s the perfect place for a well.

It is now winter.

The forgotten beast Atoz Xug Ostrur has come in the caverns. He can’t get in.  i’m going to ignore him.

Oh my god.  The hauling.  It is finished.  The dwarves as socializing and playing music.  There is no more stone to haul, no more bins to fill, no more corpses to throw in the smasher.  It's all done…  everything is… sorted!  I DID IT! 

With a whoop and a cheer, i return to my library.  Maybe i’ll write a book some time in the next 2 years…

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12927

The surface bridge and the uppermost cavern entrance bridge are both open at this time.  We also have a new trade depot made from electrum bars because why not.  Right now everyone's smoothing the tavern, but that shouldn't take more than 1 minute more.  Now that the fortress is sorted and on its feet, we need a mega project.  One probably involving caverns.  Shall we move the entire fortress into wooden buildings in the caverns?  become cave elves?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:26:48 pm by zazq »

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

+1 to the cave elves idea

And is the forgotten beast difficult to kill? Is it made of iron or does it have a Web attack?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:04:52 am by Alpha Loves You »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking at the title, do you need players? In all my years of being a dwarf fortress player I have never done a succession fortress but I'd be happy to give it a shot.
The OP doesn't seem to show how long someones turn is, just wanted to know as I live in Australia and work a lot so might not be able to do a full year (if that is the length of a turn) in a day.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Looking at the title, do you need players? In all my years of being a dwarf fortress player I have never done a succession fortress but I'd be happy to give it a shot.
The OP doesn't seem to show how long someones turn is, just wanted to know as I live in Australia and work a lot so might not be able to do a full year (if that is the length of a turn) in a day.
The guys have been popping out turns like crazy, but I always take at least a week, so don't worry. And saying this, would you like to claim the save?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The guys have been popping out turns like crazy, but I always take at least a week, so don't worry. And saying this, would you like to claim the save?
I'd love to. I promise to finish the turn within 7 days haha. So should I play for an ingame year? Or how long are turns?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Save has been claimed.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

An ingame year should be fine.
Should I play afterwards or does snow dwarf want to take it?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

An ingame year should be fine.
Should I play afterwards or does snow dwarf want to take it?
We'll see when bluephonix finishes cause I will be going for a summer camp as an assistant teacher on the first of June.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so how the hell did wear get on that bed? how is that even possible?  was is a werebear bed?  i know of no mechanic that wears furniture.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

so how the hell did wear get on that bed? how is that even possible?  was is a werebear bed?  i know of no mechanic that wears furniture.
I think that it was caused by me deconstructing a bed under a werebear.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile

Can I apply to succeed someone even if I'm terrible at DF? I can manage basic Dwarven needs, but my fortresses are all basically holes carved into hills with lots of cage traps, stairs, and stones littering the area.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile

Well we are currently at our full 4 members.
It's up to snow dwarf if you can join in or not.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19