Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 347622 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: The Death of Magic
« Reply #720 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:14 am »

Just so PW notices it:
((I missed the previous 5 turns before this one that just passed. The last turn I was in was back at the end of November/beginning of December. Oh, and I'd like to ask around for animal blood first. I figure that might be less suspicious.))

5 turns huh? lets call that 30 gold.

And animal blood will raise less suspicion. Especially if you just buy the animal. There are various places that sell animals for both food and for sacrificial purposes. You can get chickens for a gold. Sheep and goats you can get for 3 gold, a cow for 20.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tell the man that I'm willing to be reasonable, and ask him what he thinks is fair payment, and what he can get, and try to work out a deal.  Do say that he saved his friend's life, and that even if I get no money for it, I'm not going to hold them or do anything to them.

Then segue into how I'm in this for helping people, and the money is mostly to pay for expenses from travelling and such, and that I get the mana I need to heal people from strong emotions, and if he's willing, I'd be glad to talk with him about sensitive subjects that may be bothering him, a hug for the mana to help the next person is all I really need.

You rattle off your little speech about proper payments, your philanthropic motivations, you emotion leeching (though in less crude terms) and the need for more...hmm. Hosts? Donors? Not a lot of ways to phrase it that don't sound at least a bit bad.

The man listens, brings up 5 gold as a payment at one point, but then as you continue he seems to change his mind. He suggests healing crippled or sick children, since parents and the children themselves would be very emotional about that sort of thing. He says he knows a man in the next town over whose daughter was crippled by some sort of illness. He might be able to get them to come up here.

Yeesh. Can I make the gem do anything? If not, must sell it. Anyway, strike out for Plumbago. Dispose of any evidence remaining in the pools of quicksilver.

Hmmm... can the Black Flux be traversed? Must get to Kaolin.

Also can I choose the words I remember?

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)

The gem is sharp for a reason. It thirsts for blood and can use blood to produce any of the elements you just learned to make it. The amounts are proportional, more blood more element.

You kick the body into the mercury after removing the bolt from it. The Black Flux is a lake a of black flux, not traversable on foot but men take boats out onto it.  Balneum Mariae survives mostly based on salvage from the lake, because of the sunken ruins in it. They have a dockyard on one edge but you might be able to get a boat from plumbago. Plumbago is a mining town, they excavate the lead pillars and drain the mercury pools.  Anywhere from here to Kaolin is a long walk though, regardless of the route. And your provisions are not really cut out for it.

You get into Plumbago at night; its pitch black with only a few lights in the town illuminating scattered buildings. There's a Sheriff's office, an inn and bar, and what looks like the mining offices. They're all made of solid bricks of lead with wood plank roofs.

Get the oil off of my hands. Whipe them on my pants or something.

Then lower down a rope to Darwin, making sure to tie it to stomething sturdy up here. If Tying is not an option Ecalir will be the anchor!

You wipe your hands until the oil comes off.

You lower the rope down, bracing one foot against the trough on the edge of the walkway and acting as the anchor.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 07, 2018, 11:35:07 am »

Holiday season has ended and Lenglon is ready to resume posting. Nina was last waiting for time to pass and for it to be time for her trip under the lake.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
missed me
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:28 am »

There is nothing else to do now. I'll have to wait and rest in my room until the next group of converts goes to the bottom of the lake to figure out what's going on with this fishy church. Wasn't that healer woman going to the lake too? Maybe I could follow her group.
Spoiler: Randolf Osborn (click to show/hide)
And me!
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 07, 2018, 11:51:20 am »

((Every action before his mini update for Dev's missed action got skipped. Sent a pm about it.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #724 on: January 07, 2018, 12:31:30 pm »

You could use your viscera word to effectively sense living things around you. The major limiting factors are the area it is effective within and the length of time it is active. You could also try to magically change your own body in some way that would allow you to sense life, but that change would have to be organic and not magical. Ie heat sensing or something like that.
Everyone continues forth, following the pathway either on or below it. It becomes quickly evident why this walkway exists; there are copious amounts of very ancient fish bones scattered around, not to mention a fine dusting of sediment. This place was probably a shallow lake at one point, with the walkway over the water. The walkway abruptly ends with a crevice, or perhaps its more correct to say a canyon or a cliff? There's no end of it in sight, no sides either, just a sharp drop into darkness. You can hear the water from the river crashing down into it. However, you're all a bit more distracted by something else. Down in that darkness, there are glimmering lights; they're either your own lanterns reflecting off something shiny or independent lights. Either way, its too solid for water and not the right composition for run of the mill wet stone. There's something down there, something very large.

Magic time! Try to use my viscera word as described above to do a momentary 'pulse' of sensing in an area large enough to reach whatever it is we are seeing down there. In addition, use my regular senses to try and learn more.

"Friends, there seems to be something down there. How about you make preparations to move down there safely or investigate the oil while I try to learn more before we jump into darkness' maw? Or perhaps lower a lamp down on some rope to give us a better view."

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
[Knowledge: 4v2][-2 mana]

You walk to the edge of the pit and close your eyes, focusing on the magic within you.  You bring the power into your mind, the knowledge of flesh,  and concentrate it down to a fine, dense point before releasing it. The magic flows out of you, focused down into the pit and the shimmering below. When you open your eyes there are points clearly visible red light down there. Living things. You see fish moving through water, as well as what might be a giant shrimp or two. Beyond them are others, individuals, small and lithe, hunched over like question marks, too long and flexible to stand normally. You think they might be Olmen, like the one you saw before. Though clearly alive. Their glow illuminates, like a candle within a rice paper box, the outlines and shapes of artificial rooms. There's a structure down there, though its size and shape aren't easy to guess; there are only about 2 dozen Olmen in the entire area, not enough for it to be a civilization, they must be there for some other reason.

Holiday season has ended and Lenglon is ready to resume posting. Nina was last waiting for time to pass and for it to be time for her trip under the lake.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
There is nothing else to do now. I'll have to wait and rest in my room until the next group of converts goes to the bottom of the lake to figure out what's going on with this fishy church. Wasn't that healer woman going to the lake too? Maybe I could follow her group.
Both of you wait, and both of you are awakened at the same time, in the middle of the night several days later. Nina is awakened by someone knocking on her door and calling "Sister! Sister! It is time! The truth in the murk awaits!"  Randolf on the other hand is awoken by a sharp series of knocks on his door and someone whispering "The time is now. Come with us. Earn your pay and The blood you desire."

"Oh great, we get to go down again."

Wave my lantern around experimentally to try and figure out if it's a reflection down there or lights.
Consult my extensive Knowledge to figure out what the hell this thing is.

You use your lantern, walking around and waving it experimentally. As best you can guess, there are a few lights down there that are actually lights, but the majority of glittering is reflections. Of course, the easiest way to tell this would be to simply douse all the lanterns and see if there are any lights below.

As per your extensive knowledge, its not too much of a stretch to say that, what is likely down there is the ruins of a city, or a town, or some sort of large structure. This pathway leads somewhere, clearly. Maybe these oil troughs were to provide illumination on the way? who knows.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 07, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »

Are you sure? The job is not done yet. While the healer woman didn't do anything suspicious, I feel she was hiding something. Give me more time and I could figure out the truth behind her intentions. But if you want to pay me for an incomplete job, then so br it. It was one of the most boring wizard hunting jobs I jave ever had in my life. There was no wizard and there was no fight.
I really don't know what did he expect me to do in a single night. Tell him to give me more time to complete my job and be able to go under the lake. If they refuse, just go with them and get my payment. It's pretty much free money and mana for not doing anything. Make sure to express what I thought about the job.
I explicitly said I wanted to fight wizards and I neither got a fight or saw a wizard. The woman was just a simple healer and just wanted to go under the lake for some strange reason. Complete waste of time, really.

The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 07, 2018, 12:53:06 pm »

((Thanks for still giving us an update PW.))

((By the way, unrelated to anything, but I just realized something somewhat funny:
we have been on this cave adventure for about 200 days.
DIG, in its entirety, ran for about 160 days.))

"There are living things down there in the water. Olmen I think, about two dozen. They have structures as well, though it doesn't seem to be a village. I think we should try to make contact with them, though we'll probably want to let one of them come up to us to do the talking. Unless any of you happen to be able to breath underwater?

We could tie a rope to one of the pillars and have someone lower himself slowly to try and establish contact. Ecalir, you are the most dexterous among us, would you be up to it? Or we could lower me with you helping me to keep the rope stable."

If Ecalir (or someone else) agrees to the plan, help by tying a rope to the pillar with one end and tying the other end around Ecalir to act as a safety. Then assist him on his way down if I can (eg by lowering a lantern on a different rope so he'll be less encumbered?)

If not, think of a way we could attract the attention of the Olmen in a non-threatening way. Perhaps wave our lights around or throw some small stones into the water? Then do that.

If Rufus knows anything relevant here, like proper ways to greet them or whatever, be sure to ask.

Oh, and consider if that oil up that walkway is in any way valuable. Could it at least perhaps top off our lanterns?

((For reference, this is what we know about Olmen:

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:18:33 pm by Radio Controlled »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 07, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »

"Coming."
Collect my things, thank the room owner, and follow the messenger, so long as they avoid any dark alleys anyway.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 07, 2018, 04:14:22 pm »

"Hmm. Stand back, I think this oil might be for illumination."

Try igniting the oil trough.

It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2018, 05:53:11 pm »

"Ecalir is always ready for such a dangerous and cunning plan!"

Go with Darwin's plan: "If Ecalir (or someone else) agrees to the plan, help by tying a rope to the pillar with one end and tying the other end around Ecalir to act as a safety. Then assist him on his way down if I can (eg by lowering a lantern on a different rope so he'll be less encumbered?)"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 08, 2018, 04:57:22 am »

Here's some potentially interesting things we learned on the irc yesterday, figured I'd repost it here in case it can help anyone else:
https://abbradar.net/erlogs/2018-02-07.txt

Spoiler: thaumic machines (click to show/hide)

Some other tidbits:
- Mana can be reconverted back into thaum by alchemists.
- Making valuables with magic will make people mighty suspicious unless it's meant for industrial purposes or whatever. Basically, counterfeiting, they don't like it.
- Each map square is about a mile.
- "Mage breakers are around to stop anyone getting "Magic overlord" grand schemes off the ground" but otherwise, they're fine with magic (so no general magic oppression).

And some more things, this from pm:
Spoiler: modifying yourself (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 08, 2018, 05:30:31 am »

Stay overnight in Plumbago, have hiijinks if any applicable, restock, move towards Perlatum, try and get a boat there. I don't really want to buy lead.

Spoiler: Moghorn (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 09, 2018, 01:10:24 am »

Did I get any Thaum from my work since my garbage disposal process was to alchemize the garbage?

Let's get 2 sheep for food and sacrificial purposes and see if I can find a butcher to drain them of blood for me and cut up the meat into suitable portions for my travels. If that would raise too much suspicion, slaughter them myself  Also see about finding a place to prepare/preserve the meat for me so it'll last on my travels. And a place to make me some warm clothing out of the wool for my travels.

Spoiler: Aurum (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 09, 2018, 09:12:49 am »

Accept his offer of new customers, that sounds great and it's someone I could greatly help.  Also, ask the bodyguards what they would like in terms of salary.  Lastly, hug the disoriented friend when he starts coming around.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:12 pm »

"Hmm. Stand back, I think this oil might be for illumination."

Try igniting the oil trough.

"Are you sure that is a wise idea, Behiar? I fear that making so much light might attract some unwanted attention, not to mention the Olmen down there might not want that oil to go up in smoke."

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 203