Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Individual Scientists! May 8th 2017 [7/7]  (Read 6116 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 3rd 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:19 pm »

General "tip" regarding actions and IC time: There's no strict limit to the amount of actions in a day, but I try to effectively judge based on your actions, how much you can do. So you don't need to do everything step-by-step over the course of a week. You just can't do things like "Go to the library, borrow these books, read them, go to the scrapyard and get metal, then build this thing, then work at my job, then sell this thing."
If you're unsure, it's something like 3 minor actions or 1 minor action 1 major action. Whereas minor is something like going to the store and major is something like inventing something. Though again, it would likely vary based on your actions. Let me know if you feel I was too lenient or strict in judging action limits.

And of course, let me know if I missed or forgot anything.

May 3rd, 2017

Roboson
Roboson returns to the junkyard again, looking for metal scrap and other mechanical bits. He then goes to a used electronics store and buys as much old technology as he can afford can for $70.
You take the same route you took yesterday while walking to the scrapyard and arrive within reasonable time. Less reasonable, however, are the yields of your labor today. 2u Scrap Metal + 1u Mechanical Bits. Of course, it's not useless, but it's still disappointing. At least you got to see someone really determined on lock-picking random car doors.

You would drop the materials off at the garage first, but the lighter load leads to you deciding to instead just heading to some generic nearby store and purchasing $70 of old technology. You get 7u Electronics at a fair price. They're much higher quality than the scrap electronics you already have and could probably even be used for things such as computing and the like!

You drop off the combined loot at the garage in the pile the organized storage containers you have conveniently placed and definitely not lying on the floor.

Spoiler: Roboson (Roboson) (click to show/hide)

Nix
You find a simple store selling simple goods like notebooks and pencils. You find a packaged bundle of a large notebook and some pencils for the low low price of $6. You check out your Large Notebook & Pencils and leave the store, remarking how much better the customer service here is than that last place.

You take the rest of the day to produce a very large amounts of notes that would put any student in the city to shame. You finish reading the psychology book and Human Mind textbook - unfortunately the psychology book wasn't useful to you, but you learned a decent amount about the human mind from its respective textbook. The Neuroscience textbook also shined some lights on topics not already known by you.
Of course, you already know plenty about these topics, but it's always been precursory knowledge.

You feel you now know Basics of the Human Mind, thanks to the neuroscience and human mind textbooks.

Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)

Jack Flash
With foresight that others may suspect but is actually just you being smart, you make sure to buy a Library Card for $5 at the local library. Then you find a suitable textbook placed amongst rows and rows of other textbooks covering an unusually large variety of topics. Something seems off about this many textbooks in the local library but you choose to ignore it after picking up the A Guide to Programming Book. The librarian reminds you to return it on May 17th on your way out.

You study the book from cover-to-cover. Unfortunately, however, the sheer amount of re-reading required to absorb that information via simple reading, even for a mind such as yourself, took up too much time in your day. You only manage to get a few steps into the development process when you start to feel tired. You recall the Basic Programming Knowledge you learned today, then close your netbook.
Unwilling to let sleep hurt your work, you decide to finish your work for tonight.

Spoiler: Jack Flash (Happerry) (click to show/hide)

Billy Quick
You spend $15 on a perfectly legitimate lock-picking set. With this ordinary everyday tool acquired, you head over to the car parking lot to pick locks.
You pick some locks. You don't really know what you expected? You're a scientist, not a lock-picker!

Though the day isn't a total bust given you have the lock-picking set and have proven it works. You don't think you should try picking any high-security locks anytime soon, though. And the timetables for you actually improving your lock-picking beyond your default scientist-levels are quite unfeasible for you at the moment.

Magen E. Tuene
Right. You forgot. You work at a fast food place. Luckily you figured it out by the process of elimination before your shift started and just narrowly avoided disaster.

During the short shift and after, you study your Mutation textbook and gain quite a lot of knowledge from it. You now believe you know Basics of Genetic Mutations! Not much is done today besides reading that book and working your job, but you have $5 cash and some newfound knowledge to show for it.

You receive $5 from your part-time job at a fast-food place.

Sausest Fage
You easily smuggle acquire assorted strands of pasta from your job. Not bothering to store them anywhere, you instead experiment ways to improve elasticity and tensile stre-
You just realized you have no lab equipment.

You dismiss that thought and begin experimentation via the power of will and careful hands, instead!
The attempt to improve tensile strength actually causes the pasta noodle to explode. Sure, you were stretching it quite hard and it may have actually just "snapped", but it's cooler to say "explode".
Elasticity is workable, though. The noodle is slightly more stretchy than before. It could have gone better with lab equipment, but at least you have the knowledge of Very Basic Pasta Elasticity! You end up throwing away the kind-of-stretchy-noodle though, as it won't last the night regardless.

You go to sleep dreaming of pasta.

You earn $6 from your job at a pasta kitchen.
Spoiler: Sausest Fage (RAM) (click to show/hide)

James "Scrap Lord"
You buy a Small Battery and some Electrodes for $60. The battery is an actual battery, you clarify before buying. It's not just a pack of AA batteries. It's not a car battery for sure, but it'll work.
Finally, on the way to the scrap yard, you finish your shopping by purchasing 5u Purified Water for $10, and 3x Small Beakers for $12. That's $82 spent in total. A lot of money, but it'll all be worth it in the end! You finish your route to the scrap yard where you ignore several strange people digging around and start looking for usable pieces of scrap metal.

You arrive back at your garage with 4u Scrap Metal. Not a bad haul! You quickly get to experimenting with basic electrolysis and finding a setup that works the best.
Luckily Due to your genius, you find the perfect way to set it up. Just the right arranging of the electrodes, metal placements, and scrap combined with the perfect configurations on the battery yields an amazing result. You manage to purify 3u Unformed Iron from 3u Scrap Metal before running out of time in the day. You also take up 3u Purified Water in the process.

Unfortunately, you don't believe you can purify more than 3u of materials per day with the time and work required as it stands, but science is used to improve things, right?

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2017, 11:16:06 pm »

This! Is a disaster! I must immediately improve my equipment! I rush to a market and acquire measuring-glasses, a heavy-duty plastic bowl, rolling pin, a half-dozen different varieties of flour, salt. and eggs- Basic Science!! kitchen(pasta), basic reagents(pasta), and finally seek out a second-hand minifridge.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »

Roboson has a tenancy to talk to himself.

With this pile of junk these building blocks of mechanization and electronics, I will surely create something of note! Go to the library and find books on robotics, a book on animal and insect behaviors, and a book on programming. If I still have time, revisit the scrapyard, mostly looking for tools, but snag everything shiny that looks of moderate interest.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 11:30:04 pm »

Read the other book a little. See if there are any other people of intellect down on hard times working there.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 12:37:44 am »

1. Try and find a job doing manual labour, earn some money whilst keeping my GLORIOUS BODY strong.

2. Try and observe the behavioural patterns of people I interact with, in order to gain a more practical understanding of the relationship between the human mind and external stimuli.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:10 am »

Jack Flash Actions

Program a basic app game and then sell it on the internet. If I have any spare time after that, use it to study programing some more.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 07:10:15 am »

Buy some more water, collect some more scrap and then purify one more lot of iron. Then attempt to find a metal dealer I can sell the newly purified scrap to.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »

Head to the "bad" side of town, use my lockpick to open a car door then jump-start the car, like how they do it in all those action movies.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:04:16 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 08:54:54 pm »

waitlist me

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 10:03:02 pm »

Test latest pasta creation on waitlist.
Dibs on the fourth wall!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 11:49:23 pm »

waitlist me

Spoiler: Landon Hujsak (click to show/hide)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 4th 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:25 am »

People seem to be placing a bit too much importance on books: They're mostly useful for being able to get to the basics of a complex subject without having to do only somewhat-related series of inventions and the like to build up to it. Your characters are all very skilled in many areas. Books are there for when there's an advanced field that you can't really break into by doing. Things like, to use a player as an example, neuroscience are good examples like this. For things like robotics and other more "typical" fields and anything other than the complete basics in those advanced fields, you're much better off learning by doing.
In fact, to be even more transparent, so far the only "advanced" fields like this explored by people so far have been neuroscience and genetics. Your characters are assumed to have basic knowledge of programming already.
TL;DR: Books are only used for learning the basics of a field, and are only potentially useful when learning the basics of an advanced field that'd be hard to break into from nothing.

OceanSoul: forgot to add Basics of Genetic Mutations to your knowledge thingy. And you had an "Informative Genetics Book" instead of "Informative Mutation Book". Fixed that this update.
RAM: I've assumed that by "Science!! kitchen" you meant basic supplies for cooking and experimentation with that cooking.

May 4th, 2017

Roboson
You head to the library to find books on a variety of subjects and leave with 101 Fun Animals!, Programming: Is it really that different from cooking?, and an actually useful book - A Comprehensive History of Robotics. Despite its name, it appears to be very useful at a glance.
At least 101 Fun Animals! sounds interesting, you guess.

With that out of the way and the books dropped off, you head to the scrapyard looking for tools. You don't know what kind of tools, though - you just have a picture of a very generic Tool in your head. You're sure you'll find something.
But you don't. You don't find anything, really - just 1u Scrap Metal. You consider trying again tomorrow or just cutting out adding the middleman and buying them straight from a store.

Spoiler: Roboson (Roboson) (click to show/hide)

Nix
You find a job at a construction site. After amazing the foreman with your skills and strength, you're given the very prestigious position of the lowest possible spot. You don't get much money, but it's work and you didn't have to submit an application!

During the interviewing process and in your other routine activities today, you also spend time focusing more on the people around you, their expressions, and reactions to anything happening around them. Eventually, by the end of the day, you gain a much more comprehensive understanding of the human psychology.
Their reactions just... make sense. Everything someone does seems almost planned. Knowing the right variables in a controlled environment could maybe even be used to accurately predict responses! It's fascinating, really. People are just inherently similar in their reactions. At the end of the day, the same stimuli will invoke a similar reaction in many people. Their expressions also provide hints into their personalities, but you just couldn't connect the two observations of reactions and expressions. You deem this new knowledge the Human Reaction Theory for the time being, but you can change that name at any moment.

Tomorrow, you'll get $5 from your construction job.
Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)

Jack Flash
You spend the entire day making a game.
Unfortunately, even with your existing programming knowledge, trying to do all of this in a day proves difficult. You end up making something resembling a game, but it's not very fun. Luckily you manage to somehow get some people to buy it. By which you mean a few people; $8 is earned from sales, and you doubt anyone's going to buy it after this point. Future development isn't useful as the project isn't necessarily worth improving or working on.
Knowledge of Basic Game Development is, however, learned by going through that production process even if it was a very short development period.

You consider reading the book you have on programming before going to sleep, but you think you learned everything you could from it already, and you don't have nearly enough time even if you wanted to read it.

Spoiler: Jack Flash (Happerry) (click to show/hide)

Billy Quick
Time to head to the bad side of to--
Oh, right, you live there. That makes things easier!

You find a run-down car and successfully lockpick the door. You then open the car door, open the window from the inside, then close it.
Then you jump and slide into the car through the window! It's super cool and super painful! But cool!

With that down, you try hotwiring the car. Again, you're successful. You drive it into the garage after making some space for it and turn it off. It's at this point that you realize you have to leave the car unlocked and have to hotwire it every time you want to use it. Not great, but at least you have a 1993 Cheap Car! It's ugly, loud, and polluting, but it's yours. Not technically yours, but it may as well be.

Magen E. Tuene
Outside of work today, you study your Genetics textbook in a much more detailed fashion than last time, where you focused mostly on the mutation book. Eventually, you start to gain an understanding of Basic Genetics. A decent amount of it is also covered by the other book, but there are plenty of new things learned in this reading! After this, however, you doubt you can learn much more. These books were written for a much smaller mind than yourself.

While at your work, you're very disappointed to see that most of your coworkers are primarily teenagers currently failing in highschool. Even your manager is stupid! Though you just carefully avoid serious retribution from him upon accidentally saying it aloud. Maybe fast-food places aren't great places to look for academic talent?

You receive $5 from your part-time job at a fast-food place.

Sausest Fage
You quickly devise an extensive shopping list at the beginning of the day. Equipment for your kitchen lab, pasta reagents, and a used minifridge. All very obviously for the advancement of vital scientific endeavors. After you finish your shift, you head to a commercial area in the city housing a large variety of stores.
The Basic Kitchen Supplies cost $40, and the 5u Culinary Ingredients $10. The Used Minifridge empties out the rest of the money, costing $55.
After snapping out of this shopping spree, you realize that all the money you have left is $2. Hopefully you weren't planning on buying anything else tomorrow.

On the way back home, you see some tall person in a comical lab coat walk by you. You throw some pasta you somehow had in your pockets at them. Laughing at your successful test, you run away leaving them in the dust.

You earn $6 from your job at a pasta kitchen.
Spoiler: Sausest Fage (RAM) (click to show/hide)

James "Scrap Lord"
You pay $6 for another 3u Purified Water. With this done, you head back to the scrap yard for some scrap metal. You don't spend much time at the scrapyard, but still get 3u Scrap Metal in a very fitting coincidence considering your planned uses for the scrap. As you leave, you see another guy looking for metal in the same area you were just at. Hah!

You spend most of the day performing the electrolysis using 3u Purified Water and 3u Scrap Metal - conveniently the same amount of those things that you received today - to purify 3u Formless Iron.

You look for a contact online and outside, but ultimately are forced to sell the stuff online at a lower price than you would have wanted. 6u Formless Iron is sold for $36. You still haven't given up on finding a contact, though, and perhaps looking again tomorrow could yield a contact for selling the stuff at a reliable rate?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:16:54 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2017, 01:18:02 am »

1. Go to anyplace with a free printer, and print out flyers saying "Help Wanted - Hypnotism Subject. 1 hour session. $20 dollars cash pay."
2. Set flyers out around the neighbourhood.
3. Start practicing the basics of hypnotism, putting people into trances, increasing the suggestibility states of human beings, anything I can gather from my books.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2017, 01:35:49 am »

Well, it is a well-known fact that flour is explosive and eggs are toxic(well, flour can be made to be explosive and eggs can be made to be foul-smelling). Pasta is basically flour and egg...
 Attempt to ramp-up the elasticity of one strain. Use it to form a highly-strung coil.
 Then to build a fuse... Perhaps a blend of flour and oil could work, sealed in some sort of spaghetti...
 Compact the coil with flour, wrap the fuse around one end to hold the coil tightly-strung and then bind it to the base of the coil.
 The fuse burns, releasing the coil, which spins, scattering a cloud of flour and pulling on the fuse, dragging it into the non-flammable heart of the flour, then after the flour has had a nice chance to be finely dispersed, the fuse gets pulled through the cloud of flour and air, igniting its explosive power!

Of course, this is all simple cooking. The only real gain here is to give me a chance to practice my maniacal laugh. That drivewalk-by I perpetrated earlier was just dismal. I need to raise my core skills here!

P.S.
 That is exactly what a Science!! kitchen is: The basics for making pasta, with minor upgrades to take proper(well, intricate at least, "proper" is a bit sane for my tastes) notes and survive high-level(that is, far away from the fundamentals, oh, let's call it low-magnitude) SCIENCE!! events... But kitchen supplies already have abundant measuring apparatus for note-taking and measurements rarely involve the most exciting Science!! events so it mostly just means a somewhat sturdy mixing-bowl and pot...
Basically, I figured that I was getting a bit excessive with the details and it would end up being some derivative of *Cooking supples: low-grade* anyway to limit the house-keeping so I would just state it as such.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:40:00 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:00 am »

Roboson goes to sleep excited for the science filled day ahead. Get up early and read the robotics book, followed by the 101 fun animals, and then finally the programming book. After that, go a hardware store and purchase a set of tools (wrench, screwdriver, hammer, all the basics), get some screws and bolts too. If I have time on the way home, try and get a job at that used electronics store.

Soon, oh so very soon, it will be time to invent!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7