Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Individual Scientists! May 8th 2017 [7/7]  (Read 6128 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 7th 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2017, 04:27:35 am »

Hrmm, too early to say, but things are starting to shape up...

1 x A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
1 x Artificial apocalypse.
1 x Super-robosuit ACTIVATE!
1 x Inevitable slime monster...
1 x Well you can't expect me to start without a proper Igor!
1 x Rise! Rise and go forth my noodley appendage!
1 x My many murderbot-marine multitudes may make merry mayhem!

I am quite pleased with the variety! I do wonder if a bit more direct competition would be interesting, but this definitely suits my own preferences.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2017, 12:50:56 pm »

Try to find a job at a autoshop. Use my work tools to change the letters on my license plate so the original won't recognize it. Add the plate back on the car.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2017, 03:16:03 pm »

Sell the formless iron, and then start experimenting on home made catalysts. Run the next purifying batch and hammer out some metal plates from the iron produced.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2017, 06:00:46 pm »

Wow, this is honestly neat.
Spoiler: Waitlist application (click to show/hide)
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2017, 09:53:31 pm »

@ RAM, You forgot 1 x Sherlock Holmes  :P

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:56 pm »

Assess the resources I have available as someone working at the college. Also, look among my students for those with exceptional potential. not likely, but worth a shot.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 8th 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2017, 12:21:38 am »

Just a reminder: "Units" are very abstracted. One unit of something like scrap metal isn't necessarily "1 piece" or any other amount.
May 8th, 2017
Posters are seen throughout New Bounds today, advertising the city Science Fair. It's normally not a huge event - the winner with an interesting "invention" gets $500, a picture with the mayor, and some neat memories. But this year could turn out different, as the scientists could wish to enter in something for the competition.
The event is on May 10th in one of the city parks. Contestants are allowed to enter with anything science-related, whether it's a cool technique/procedure, a physical device, software... anything that could be connected to "science". Most years it's full of marginally neat yet non-groundbreaking "inventions" and the winner gets the aforementioned $500. Anyone can enter.

Roboson
After you wake up and steal acquire a newspaper, you begin reading.
Surprisingly, there is nothing in the newspaper. Actually nothing. The entire classifieds section is empty. Interesting. But on the front of the paper you read something about the Science Fair, but you already read about that on posters while getting the newspaper itself. What a waste of a few minutes.

You return your books and borrow a Observation & Deduction Textbook. Inquiring about borrowing more books at the librarian's desk leads them to telling you about the library card. For $5, you can buy a library card that lets you take 5 books for up to 2 weeks at once instead of the standard 3 books for 1 week. They remind you to return your current book on the 15th before you leave.
With the book in hand, you grab your Collector Bot from your garage and bring it to a scrapyard. After a lengthy bit of programming orders later (even with just the scrap metal) you have it start running while you read your book. The process is interrupted by work, but you return afterwards to do the same thing.
Your collector-bot in total yields 1u Scrap Metal from the whole thing and you finish reading the book, learning of Basic Observation & Deduction. Turns out the book has an accurate title.

Also today, you ask at work if there's an opening in repair jobs for you.
There is not. There are two people working repairs and that's apparently all they need.

You earn $4 from your part-time job at an used electronics store today.
Spoiler: Roboson (Roboson) (click to show/hide)

Nix
Right. You know about the human mind, your own Human Reaction Theory, Basic Hypnotism, and Basic Mind Altering Substance Functions.
So what exactly can you do with this?
A lot, apparently. After finishing your final look over the notes that may be mistaken to be the work of a madman (not you), you think you've gained an extremely valuable insight into this. Hypnotism, the mind, these substances, and Human Reaction theory are of course all connected. But the question was how, and you solved it.
The result is Human Stimuli Theory. The right stimuli will invoke reactions causing extremely small temporary changes in the mind. These changes can be exploited if you know exactly what they are and how to use them. A certain shape, color, sound, anything - will cause a perfect reaction in someone's mind. When you know what these reactions are, they can be chained together based on the ideas of hypnosis to nearly instantly put people into a trance. The trance if you're right, would still be easily interrupted by external stimuli but you just made progress here.
The problem, however, is knowing what causes these reactions. In every person it's different, and you don't even know what your "perfect stimuli" is. But you know it's there. All your work to this point suggests it has to be.

That took a lot of time out of your day, but you continue on.
Legal "substance" acquisition is a hard task. But from research and overhearing, you think you know the location of two doctors' offices that may be more receptive to giving out prescriptions for drugs that can calm people. Heightened suggestivenes and responsiveness to external commands, however, is a different task. You don't think you'd be able to find that stuff legally ever. Hell, you doubt it even exists in an illegal form that you can obtain. Maybe some government or military lab has it, but that's just conjecture at this point.
You could always look into seeing if you can make drugs with similar effects, though.

And at your job, you become a bit closer with your boss. You're frustrated with your manipulation skills, as really what you did today was something you feel like many people can do.
Still, it's progress.

You earn $5 from your part-time construction job today. Your boss somewhat likes you.
Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)

Jack Flash
The laptop upgrading goes... okay. Your first bout of unluck was when it turned out that some of the parts you had used were mislabeled. Those had to be thrown out after they had already done damage to the actual computer. The next little bit of unluckiness was when another part simply fizzles out when you try to turn on your computer, slightly damaging it. Some repair parts you couldn't find in your electronic parts and had to pay an unbelievable $30 for, too.
So at the cost of 4u Electronics (way more than necessary), you finally finish upgrading your computer. The upgrade didn't do as much as you wanted and was unnecessarily expensive, but in the end it mostly worked out. Your netbook has the same power of a $1,300 laptop today. Nothing really impressive, but it is most certainly an improvement.

Though now the netbook has lost its portability. The parts didn't fit in the case and now lie sprawling across the table on which the main body lies. This could be something you want to address. You decide to rename the netbook to a "workstation" for now, but you can always change the name at any point.

Spoiler: Jack Flash (Happerry) (click to show/hide)

Billy Quick
A job search is quickly rewarded with a job for $6 at an autoshop. Your experience and know-how definitely helps here, and the owners of a small business hire you soon after you demonstrate your skills. It's nothing amazing, but it's enough to get a part-time job there.

Now, at home, your day continues going smoothly. You take your tools to the license plate of the car and modify it to have a different set of numbers. Now, if you were to get arrested in your car, they would likely find this extremely suspicious as the license plate number either wouldn't match the car or wouldn't exist. But you don't plan on getting arrested. Probably not, at least.
The actual work is very convincing. If someone were to look extremely closely and analyze the license plate, they would find something suspicious, but that's a nearly impossible scenario. You add the plate to the car as your final act for the day.

Tomorrow, you will begin earning $6 at your part-time job in a local autoshop.

Magen E. Tuene
You take a look at everything available to you as a professor at the community college.
The first thing you look for is a suitable lab. This lab actually does have equipment allowing you to sequence and view DNA, but it's not particularly high grade. Unfortunately, it does not have anything for modifying DNA. That'd likely be at a school with a bit of a higher budget. So if you wanted to do that, you'd have to look elsewhere, make your own, acquire one via not-exactly-legal-means, or use some other method you may think of.
There's also a "mainframe" in the college. It's a high-powered communal computer. It's definitely not a super-computer, but it is powerful. Usage on it is requested for and granted by the college staff, and as a professor, you apparently by default have some processing time that you can use per day.
Maybe there are other things, but this is everything you can find that you believe is notable to you.

In your newly assembled class, most of the students are the standard college student, but two actually catch your eye. You subtly "test" them throughout the day, and from what limited material you can pull of your records, they appear to be extremely talented and smart individuals. You're obviously very lucky to have two, yet alone any, in your class.

You earn $8 at your job as a Professor of General Sciences at the community college.

Sausest Fage
You come back to the kitchen with a more sane creation.
The owner is clearly more interested than last time (where you showed him what basically amounted to a bomb to go on top of food) and offers you $140 for the recipe and ability to make it in the kitchen grounds. You can of course accept, decline, or make a counter-offer.

You don't really do much else today other than working at your job.

You earn $6 from your part-time job at a pasta kitchen.
Spoiler: Sausest Fage (RAM) (click to show/hide)

James "Scrap Lord"
You start your morning by sellin your 3u Formless Iron for $27 to the contact.

You pay $20 to buy some chemicals to experiment with. The idea of a catalyst to speed up the electrolysis is pretty simple. Get the chemical formula, and find and experiment with catalysts. But in your case and genius mind, you've decided that the simple 1-chemical catalysts available on the market are too inefficient for you to use. A mixture of multiple chemicals together could be the ultimate catalyst, and maybe even cheaper than the standard ones.

And after some time, you finally finish. You find a catalyst mixture which is surprisingly cheap to make - $1 per unit. And it's a solid, too!
However, it doesn't match up with the results of the market catalysts. It simply allows you to make one additional unit of Formless Iron (from one more unit of purified water, too) in a day, making the total 4u/day. Doing this takes up a unit of the catalyst, but that's not too much of a problem considering how cheap it is to make.

The catalyst experimentation ultimately doesn't take up much time, so you have enough time for electrolysis. You would use your catalyst here, but you don't have any left from the experimenting and you only have 3u of purified water, making it worthless today anyways. First, you purify 2u Purified Water[/color]. Then, you spend most of the day electrolifying 3u Formless Iron from 3u Scrap Metal and 3u Purified Water. You also invent the word "Electrolify".

Using the few hours left in the day, you hammer 3u Formless Iron into 3u Iron Plates. Surprisingly easy, considering the fact that formless iron isn't any softer than regular iron, but you don't question it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2017, 12:55:48 am »

1. Go to a spice or perfume shop and attempt to buy as varied an olfactory palette of ingredients as I can for $10

2. Buy the cheapest tape recorder possible that can record and save up to around 10 sounds in decent audio quality.

3. Return library books.

4. If I still have time, continue practicing auto-suggestion on myself, in the hopes of a meditative breakthrough.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2017, 01:08:01 am »

When is the science fair dead-line?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2017, 01:20:54 am »

Roboson

Science fair? Science fair?! SCIENCE FAIR!!!

Spend time today upgrading the C-bot. Add extra computing and electronic parts to improve the interface. Add in pre-set options for various types of components. If I need more computing parts, buy them from the electronics store (or scavenge them if I don't have enough money). Use components to increase the size of it as well (if possible).

In the afternoon, return to the library to return my observation book. See if I can find one on investing and day trading. Use a public computer there to google information on it if there isn't any printed information.

If I can use a printer at the library, make fliers offering services as a private investigator and post them around the library and town. Payment on a case by case basis.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2017, 01:24:08 am »

The science fair takes place on the 10th. It's all one day - contestants bring their things in in the morning, the judges judge things most of the day, and by night a winner is chosen.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2017, 03:54:20 am »

... I'll take the deal if they pass on any messages from anyone interested in buying the technology, at least while I am working there...
I take a day of sick-leave citing that SCIENCE!! is calling and that the noodles won't speak unless I nurture them.
{if the deal goes through}I... buy... 2 units of dry spaghetti, 1{2} unit of dry-ice, and as much pasta supplies as I can{10u} with my available funds. I then work on ravioli-based bag-muscles. By heating a bag it will expand and by cooling it it will contract. I attempt to combine a Noodley Wick(I experiment with the old, hotter version) to provide heating and nearby dry ice to cool it down quickly when the heat passes. I attempt to to construct walking spaghetti(bag inside legs pulling them closed), gripping spaghetti(bags outside spaghetti pushing it closed), and a small spaghetti automaton that can walk briefly, pick up a spaghetti, and wave its hand before falling apart. Thus shall I found the theory of pasta kinetics(T.P.K.)!
Read the First Post!

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2017, 04:18:32 am »

Start searching for computer parts to electrolyse the precious metals and conducters out of. Also start producing an iron tank that will soon be coated with hydrophobic material to make a larger purifying vat. Then begin automating the setup slightly, by buying a couple more beakers and setting them up in a simple chain to be replaced with material quicker.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2017, 07:17:20 am »

Jack Flash

Given the bad parts found last time, Jack will skip scavenging for new parts and instead spend up to $100 buying good grade parts to use on his computer, and will then attempt to upgrade his computer back into actually being a laptop.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2017, 07:14:57 pm »

Head to the racing track and try my luck in the competition.  Afterwards, check the price for gas and nitroglycerin. 
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7