Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39473 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2017, 10:03:37 pm »

ffs Scotland. I would've been alright with a swing to Laor, but why vote for the Tories?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:21 pm »

ffs Scotland. I would've been alright with a swing to Laor, but why vote for the Tories?
Split vote between Lab and SNP, perhaps.

And possibly some leave/remain sentiments.

Tory losses seem to have stabilized, although it's made even more painful by the loss of several ministers. Is it me or does it seem like Tory ministers got particularily targeted, not surprised neccesarily, just a funny coincidence that a lot of the ones losing seats are also ministers.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2017, 10:09:05 pm »

Split vote between Lab and SNP, perhaps.
A quick run-through of the Scottish conservative seats suggests this is the case, with only Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk breaking the pattern.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2017, 10:10:39 pm »

Now....the majority of the remaining seats to be called are currently Tory seats

Breakdown of the remaining uncalled races:

93 Conservative
37 Labour
4 LibDem
11 SNP

The Tories are virtually guaranteed (possibly mathematically...haven't done the numbers) to be denied a majority in Parliament. Labour is virtually guaranteed to be denied a majority as well. Question is who will have the plurality.

Scratch that -- barring an utter collapse, the Tories will have the plurality. BUT -- if Labour can get everyone else on board with a coalition government (and hopefully the LibDems learned their lesson of the price of allying with Tories) then it's bye-bye May.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:12:45 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2017, 10:13:55 pm »

Yeah, most of the remaining seats are the Conservatives' to lose.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:11 pm »

Basically whoever the minority parties want to work with.

It's a hung parliament I think. The SNP (31 seats so far, thank fuck) are going to be the third largest party, nobody will work with them 'cause Indyref2 is on the table, nobody wants that. I think the Lib Dems are going to demand another Brexit referendum, so it's unlikely anyone will work with them.

Not sure about the rest of the parties, to be fair... the DUP I think most closely align with the Tories, so maybe they get the slimmest of margins, perhaps on a case-by-case basis with them.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:39 pm »

Now....the majority of the remaining seats to be called are currently Tory seats

Breakdown of the remaining uncalled races:

93 Conservative
37 Labour
4 LibDem
11 SNP

The Tories are virtually guaranteed (possibly mathematically...haven't done the numbers) to be denied a majority in Parliament. Labour is virtually guaranteed to be denied a majority as well. Question is who will have the plurality.

Scratch that -- barring an utter collapse, the Tories will have the plurality. BUT -- if Labour can get everyone else on board with a coalition government (and hopefully the LibDems learned their lesson of the price of allying with Tories) then it's bye-bye May.

Labor has already said that they don't want to form a coalition and would rather form a minority parliament. The Tories get the first shot at forming a coalition though I believe.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:15 pm »

I'm not convinced Labour wouldn't partner with SNP.

Labour and Conservatives trade a pair of surprising wins: Labour in Reading East, Tories in Mansfield.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2017, 10:22:49 pm »

Not that buckethead, this Lord Buckethead. He's kind of the British version of Vermin Supreme.

Well shit ... is this what Lord buckethead looks like :-

(Lord Buckethead is the top right photo if you didn't guess)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2017, 10:23:12 pm »

Laor has about as immense a commitment to the unity of the UK as the Tories do. It's not impossible they could partner with SNP...but there's only one thing SNP really wants in exchange, and it's the one thing both main parties will never grant. Only the most extreme stresses on one or both sides could make that deal happen.

LibDems have already said they will not coalition unless it comes with a second Brexit referendum, which neither Tories nor Laor would agree to. Maybe Laor could be pushed into it, if it was do or die.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2017, 10:24:45 pm »

Nah, the whole Brexit thing is about the U.K. pulling together, and the SNP want to break the U.K. up. Indyref2 will be a guaranteed demand for anything official, probably a seat/some degree of influence at the Brexit table too.

I just can't see it happening, maybe on a case-by-case, but even then it's a long-shot.

ayyy SNP beat the prediction and get a 33rd seat.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:10 pm »

I dunno....I could totally see Labour saying "this changes everything, we need a new Brexit referendum". Not sure how well that'd go over with the public though. From what I gather, the only thing worse than Brexit for many people is the idea of going through the whole Brexit campaign again.

Kinda how, yeah having Trump is shit, but having to go through 2016 again? Fuck that noise with a sharp stick.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:18 pm »

@reelya: you mean top left, lol.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:32:33 pm by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2017, 10:30:18 pm »

It did occur to me that the Laor politicians don't really like Corbyn so... maybe there's a chance enough of them will rebel and support the Tories, but that's also a risky prospect, seeing as that will very likely be looked upon as massive betrayal by the grass roots members.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2017, 10:31:34 pm »

Under the Radar News of the Night: The SDLP and UUP lose all their seats in Parliament. Sinn Fein gains 3 seats, and now holds 7 of N. Ireland's 18 seats. Which, as someone pointed out, basically means N. Ireland has 11 seats.

2nd Under the Radar News: UKIP electorally annhilated. Less than 2% of the vote nationally, after having over 12% in 2015.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:35:31 pm by RedKing »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 34