Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39461 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2017, 10:32:49 pm »

Alex Salmond loses the constituency of Gordon to Tory Colin Clark by 5%. SNP's Messiah has fallen further still.

It did occur to me that the Laor politicians don't really like Corbyn so... maybe there's a chance enough of them will rebel and support the Tories, but that's also a risky prospect, seeing as that will very likely be looked upon as massive betrayal by the grass roots members.
I get the impression that some Laor figures might be suddenly liking Corbyn all along after tonight is done.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:34:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2017, 10:34:18 pm »

In terms of actual representation, the whole absentationism thing Sinn Fein is doing seems really dumb because they're depriving their North Ireland consistuents of actual representation.

Also, what's with these various shadow secretaries and ministers that I keep reading about?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2017, 10:36:06 pm »

In terms of actual representation, the whole absentationism thing Sinn Fein is doing seems really dumb because they're depriving their North Ireland consistuents of actual representation.
You have to understand, Sinn Fein aren't just political radicals or independence voters, they're separatists. Separating from and not being represented in London is what their voters want.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2017, 10:37:06 pm »

The biggest betrayal of all! The grand poobah bites the dust.

Jesus Christ Scotland.

Ah well, bedtime.

Re: shadow ministers: not sure if you're aware, but the opposition party has their own "cabinet" of sorts, mirroring (or shadowing, as that makes more sense) the actual ministers. Not sure if they have access to that ministry's resources or whatever, but they are basically responsible for debating with their counterpart in parliament and keeping up to date with what they're doing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2017, 10:37:21 pm »

Also, what's with these various shadow secretaries and ministers that I keep reading about?
Agents of the Shadow Broker. Possibly in league with Cerberus.

Nah, it's a thing in parliamentary systems. I rather like it myself.

Tories continue to staunch their bleeding with bandages made of Scottish tartan. SNP is at -18 on the night, and 11 of those have gone to the Conservatives. The eastern Highlands are just a mass of blue.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:47:35 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:56 pm »

SNP bleedout is STILL not done, they just lost Coatbridge and Chryston, which is near Glasgow I think.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2017, 10:53:57 pm »

Just noticed that there's a "Yorkshire Party" which advocates the creation of a Yorkshire Parliament, on par with the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.  ???

EDIT: This also reminds me that I fucking love British constituency names.
"The honourable member for Coatrack, Doorknob & Pennywhistle recgonizes the honourable member for Thistleborough-on-Wuffington...."

Seems like most of England is named like a map for a shitty D&D campaign.  :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:57:50 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »

@reelya: you mean top left, lol.

No, I know what I meant.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2017, 10:57:37 pm »

@reelya: you mean top left, lol.

No, I know what I meant.

Okay, lol. Now someone needs to photoshop Theresa May with a bucket on her head.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2017, 10:58:30 pm »

Keighley flips Tory to Laor with a margin of 0.5%.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2017, 11:00:58 pm »

Just noticed that there's a "Yorkshire Party" which advocates the creation of a Yorkshire Parliament, on par with the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.  ???
Kingdom of Norŝumbria.
More Jórvík than Northumbria. Northumbria extended further north to Hadrian's Wall.

But still, you don't see Cornwall or Essex or Norfolk calling for such a thing, and they were all proto-English kingdoms as well.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:44 pm »

Labour so far at +31 on the night, +22 of that coming from Tory seats.

EDIT: If you remove Scotland from the equation, it's a straight transfer: +21 for Labour, -21 for Conservatives. +1 for LibDem, -1 for UKIP.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:07:11 pm by RedKing »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2017, 11:08:27 pm »

Oxford West & Abingdon (+16.7) flips Tory to LibDem, the gimp-suit caning on top of Tory's other losses to the party tonight.

The Tory majority is now ten seats from dissolution.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »

The unmitigated winners in all this? Liberal Democrats. Despite taking less share of the national vote than they did two years ago, they've nearly doubled their representation in Parliament. LibDems are back, baby! Still mostly a third nipple in British politics (as they were before), but they're back!

Also, SNP holds onto Argyll. Go figure -- the eastern Highlands bow the knee, while the auld Campbell lands hold to Scotland's dream.

EDIT: About a quarter of the remaining seats are in Cornwall.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:21:44 pm by RedKing »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:58 pm »

Four seats of twenty-nine until the Tory majority is lost. It's all over but the crying.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 34