Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34

Author Topic: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May  (Read 39453 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: UK Snap Election Thread - Darth May
« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2017, 07:09:07 am »

Oh dear. Tories apparently willing to waste even more time by urging Mrs. May to sack two senior advisors, and demand she changes the way she leads.

Perhaps by actually, you know, leading.

Edit: Ah well, never mind. That was quick.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:52:20 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2017, 06:56:58 pm »

I wonder how many of the problems/issues Theresa May had mirror that of Hillary Clintons loss? Obviously there are plenty of differences, starting with staff not seeing that perhaps the candidate was the problem, but there are parallels for sure...

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-theresa-may-lost-it-uk-election-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-jim-messina-lynton-crosby-uk-sarah-palin-campaign/

(though Politico uses Palin as the example....)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2017, 09:43:14 am »

May is going to struggle to pass anything at all with the current parliament. I think there a few civil liberties minded/technically literate Tories who could easily sink the internet bill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2017, 09:50:19 am »

May is going to struggle to pass anything at all with the current parliament. I think there a few civil liberties minded/technically literate Tories who could easily sink the internet bill.

Yep, I read somewhere that it would only take 4 or 5 (or 3? I forget, but you can count them on one hand) Tories to defect and block anything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 11, 2017, 09:55:23 am »

I wonder how many of the problems/issues Theresa May had mirror that of Hillary Clintons loss? Obviously there are plenty of differences, starting with staff not seeing that perhaps the candidate was the problem, but there are parallels for sure...
Eehh, if you stretch things really, really hard. Clinton's closer to corbyn than she is to may personality or campaign wise, from what I can tell, and not a particularly close match for either. From what I've been picking up it kinda' sounds like may was closer to romney or something in the Obama election(s), really though I also wouldn't even remotely put corbyn anywhere near obama, so... yeah.

E: Though comparisons like that are kinda' off, mind. For all may screwed up, the cons are still the largest single party on the block and expanded their share of the national vote, even as they lost seats. There's not really a POTUS election that went quite like that, that I can recall.

E2: Though it did just occur to me that corbyn's thing is possibly closer to trump than anyone, which would indeed put a parallel to clinton for may. The cons expanded their amount of popular support (by a fairly small degree, but it was still there), but lost a sizable chunk of their actual positions. So far as the popular will goes on the net, may just presided over a conservative gain (popular vote), but lost majority control (EC vote) despite it. It's not even remotely a good comparison to make, because these are really not systems similar enough to be comparing things like that and there are only significantly notable similarities between the four politicians if you squint real hard and ignore a hell of a lot, but... still. I could see the argument being made, from that angle.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 10:10:14 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2017, 10:05:03 am »

The biggest parallel to Hillary is that she hugely underestimated her opponent and spent most of her time trying to run up the score by campaigning in safe red seats rather than seats where she was potentially vulnerable. Although I think May did that to a much greater extent than Hillary.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:24 am »

Not campaigning and saying her opponent campaigning was disrespectful to the nation and a national security threat? A bad strategy? Noooooo.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2017, 10:22:43 am »

I did say that there were loads of differences, way more than there are similarities, but the similarities themselves are striking, besides the fact that they're both women.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2017, 10:26:08 am »

Senior Tories allegedly ignore the country's need to focus on Brexit by urging Boris to challenge May's leadership.

Boris has Tweeted that this is all tripe.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2017, 10:27:58 am »

The Tories will be wobblier if they don't remove May at this rate... with all the pressure on her to leave. Either way, she'll just sit tight and be told what to do from now on, I imagine... her career is finished, certainly.
One wheel short of a wagon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2017, 10:31:07 am »

Depends how you look at it. The Tories will look entirely out of touch by doing that.

They have a minority government regardless, it doesn't matter who's leading, they need to appeal to other parties (at least the DUP) to get things done.

Not to mention enough time for Brexit negotiations has been losses away already. At this rate it looks like no deal is going to be better than actually getting to the bloody table at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2017, 10:31:26 am »

Senior Tories allegedly ignore the country's need to focus on Brexit by urging Boris to challenge May's leadership.

Boris has Tweeted that this is all tripe.

Lol the Churchill quote on one of those.

The Tories will be wobblier if they don't remove May at this rate... with all the pressure on her to leave. Either way, she'll just sit tight and be told what to do from now on, I imagine... her career is finished, certainly.

Unless Parliament does a vote of no confidence at her, didn't they do that for one or more of your past Prime Ministers where they resigned or were forced out shortly after?

@Hector: It's an unstable government, from what I've heard and/or read on here. They don't exactly have a big edge on the threshold, and if this fails, it's Labors turn next.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2017, 10:34:57 am »

James Callaghan in the 70s I think it was. Minority Labour government propped up by N. Irish votes, funnily enough. Resigned before a vote of no confidence, after refusing to fund a gas pipeline in N. Ireland.

Lead to Mrs. Thatcher.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2017, 10:41:20 am »

So what you're telling me is, when this all collapses Corbyn will become head of a Laour supermajority and lead Britain into neo-Marxist glory.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2017, 10:44:22 am »

I may have been thinking about someone else though.

Still, if this fails, it is Labors turn, right? Only problem though is that they'd have to form a coalition with every other minor party, including DUP and random other parties, and even then they'd only have a threshold of 6. At this point, it'd be easier for either the Tories or Labor to just do a minority parliament and compromise with the other major party. That, or be forced to do another election with no guarantee of getting a majority for either.

So what you're telling me is, when this all collapses Corbyn will become head of a Laour supermajority and lead Britain into neo-Marxist glory.

Read the above part of my post.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 34