Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 61229 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #420 on: March 16, 2024, 10:00:48 pm »

When I saw it all in one go, I was amazed at the leaps between 2.0 and 3.0.
Are those leaps worth $500m and 13 years of development?
You've never played it, have you?

Fun fact: this thread was made 11 years ago, and there used to be an even older thread.

mhn how long has df been in development ?

DF has been developed by two people, and supported by small monthly donations instead of over $500 million.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 18, 2024, 05:24:51 pm »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description

They promised micro-updates for a released game instead of year long big updates.

So by not releasing a game they can just do year long big updates.

veantur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2024, 09:27:41 am »

Here is an example of the two currently most interesting gameplay loops combined. Pirates found a freighter (player) that had just bought commodities at an outpost. Pirates drive the freighter off the planet into the atmosphere, destroy the engines and disable the ship's systems(ship is softdeath). The freighter is boarded, the cargo is transferred to a pirate transport ship and finally a pirate salvage ship arrives to dismantle the freighter and sell the materials later.

https://youtu.be/EC8Uw9T7hKI

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2024, 05:30:35 pm »

Here is an example of the two currently most interesting gameplay loops combined. Pirates found a freighter (player) that had just bought commodities at an outpost. Pirates drive the freighter off the planet into the atmosphere, destroy the engines and disable the ship's systems(ship is softdeath). The freighter is boarded, the cargo is transferred to a pirate transport ship and finally a pirate salvage ship arrives to dismantle the freighter and sell the materials later.

https://youtu.be/EC8Uw9T7hKI
So I actually reacted to the clickbait for once and skipped through the video. I must say, if these are the "two currently most interesting gameplay loops", then the game has issues, because it looked boring as heck. A different synopsis of the video so that others don't have to suffer through:
- Three fighters follow an unarmed (I think? I don't think I saw him firing back once?) freighter into space and take about 10 minutes to shoot him down. Also, the graphics looked pretty bad during the fight, I was expecting much better.
- The damage model on the wreck looks really bad, those textures match a game ... well, that was supposed to come out in 2014. Coincidence?
- Another ship arrives and four people ... proceed to play space tetris for 50 minutes? At least they keep pushing large boxes around the whole time.
- The wreck seems to beam out at the end, but leaves two fires burning in space behind ... what's up with that?
All in all seems to be bog standard ganking gameplay ... several people band together to ruin the night of another player, who stands no chance. With 50 minutes of pushing boxes tacked to the end, at least that's new.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #424 on: April 08, 2024, 06:06:43 am »

I gave it a watch as well and have to agree, that was possibly the most boring 'gameplay' I've seen in a long time.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 15, 2024, 01:04:33 am »

Keep in mind, SC has been remaking their core gameplay (the spaceship combat) over and over again. As new devs come in (often novices, sc hires as cheap as they can), they want to make their mark so they throw out previous work to make their own version, this happens all over the game. Previous versions were actually much better. What they are left with now is a very poorly designed and tuned spaceflight system with !!multiple!! layers of autoaim active at the same time required to make it even function at all. I regularly see SC players say things like "without the autoaim the game wouldn't be playable" when anyone suggests removing it which is somewhat true for the current version, but the reality is they have had old patches in like 2017 with pretty deep, fun and playable (albeit, very buggy) versions of the space combat gameplay that did not have huge autoaim cones baked into every moment and cancelling your opponent's evasions for you.

And for anyone who has not played SC, the gameplay loops are all extremely glitchy and barely functional. The bugs are beyond pervasive, and exist at a fundemental level, they are building on a foundation of sand. It's not even fun, you need to micromanage your character's hunger and thirst, and drinking water from a bottle can soft lock you until you relog, which of course teleports you back to a spawn point because it's not a real MMO that would save the location of players when they disconnect outside of very specific conditions. The spawn point is often in a location where you need to wait for and then ride a subway car to get to the launch pads. It can take 5-10 minutes of complete time waste just to get back into your ship, let alone get back to wherever you were in the game world.

And then there's the pay to win, obviously there's now a lot of paid exclusive ships that you can't get in-game that are straight up better for certain roles. SC people will argue it's not that bad because some of the pay to win ships will become purchasable in-game later, and that there are other roles where you can get the meta ship for free after either grinding or exploiting yourself to riches. But like, it sucks regardless, haha.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 01:08:49 am by Mattk50 »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #426 on: April 15, 2024, 06:15:46 am »

Are the elevators still the deadliest weapon in the game or have they finally solved the very difficult coding challenge of making a player move vertically without killing them or clipping through the floor?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 15, 2024, 11:23:22 am »

I can't even imagine getting a job at Cloud Imperium as a dev, if you knew anything about the pedigree of SC and weren't just there to cash a paycheck until something better comes along. Like, who wants to stick their hands into a decade long clusterfuck like that?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]