No
- 0 (0%)
noooo?
- 5 (38.5%)
YES!!!
- 8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 28 - [Finished]  (Read 48096 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 28 - Black Magic and Rollbacks, is there a differences?
« Reply #420 on: December 23, 2017, 09:57:59 am »

In the alternative timeline where my battle review came from, I did.

Review showed total slaughter of the enemy, map shows I lost somehow. Sigh...
Battle replay or summary? I've only seen the summary, and it's a win with light losses.

It's be the first time I know of when the summary bugged out.

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 23, 2017, 01:12:38 pm »

Whelp. I picked the wrong turn to pull in some mages (particularly the Antimagic mage) to do a bit more research. On the plus side, I'll be deader soon and can finally be free of this crawling abomination of a game in good conscience.

Antimagic would certainly have made a big difference. It was my first time trying Master Enslave in multiplayer, so I erred on the cautious side of things, piling items of +pen on the caster.
Oh, and Hero Joe, my prophet, died. I had pooled 50 blood slaves (not an easy task with Arcoscephale) to empower him into blood, so that he could cast reinvigoration and cure the slaves from fatigue. He got killed towards the end because he himself was insufficiently kitted with +magic resistance items; the Ermor BV sacreds made him pay for his H7 banishment. Now that he is gone, I need to re-evaluate the whole communion.

It was just one battle and I destroyed only maybe one fifth of your forces E. Albright(?), but if our coalition manages to defeat this monster of a nation while I end up not winning the game, I will still consider it a win and considered myself avenged of my defeat to the undead horde in the former game I played.
And of course, if/when we defeat Ermor, I will turn my eyes elsewhere, but I intend to stay true to the alliance as long as possible.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 23, 2017, 02:48:42 pm »

Please. You have royals flitting about in the wings, multiple doomstacks on the march, and are stretched 2/3s or so around the map. You've started your push.

(I'm still trying to decide whether Ulm needs a few practical pointers of dos and don'ts in MP, or whether my scant resources would be more spitefully applied elsewhere. Arco is making it tempting to spare Ulm the teaching moment. Decisions, decisions...)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:52:16 pm by E. Albright »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 23, 2017, 05:11:13 pm »

In the alternative timeline where my battle review came from, I did.

Review showed total slaughter of the enemy, map shows I lost somehow. Sigh...
Battle replay or summary? I've only seen the summary, and it's a win with light losses.

It's be the first time I know of when the summary bugged out.

Bandar Log got defeated handly and retreated off the battlefield, in the replay. In the recap, I lost extremly hard. Like I get if something happens in one and not in the other, but on two different extremes? Sigh... limits the ability to learn from the defeats I collect tbh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 23, 2017, 05:47:19 pm »

We got a similar incident in a Dom5 game. The battle replay would sometimes show my opponent's Dragon winning the attack on my capital. The battle report would show how he was whacked to death by onis. It was really weird to witness this one rare bug for what was a significant battle (the consequence what my nation bouncing back and my foe losing almost all hope of victory). The way I understand it, the RNG is the same but is not read in the same order between Llamaserver and your computer, hence different results. Or something like that. The report is what matters.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 23, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »

I'm still trying to decide whether Ulm needs a few practical pointers of dos and don'ts in MP
In all seriousness, wait until after you are done with the round before going on an educational rant. Otherwise, at least to me, it will look like your trying to make me do what would help you.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 23, 2017, 07:27:33 pm »

Oh, this would not be an educational rant. This would be an in-game reminder you're facing conniving humans and not a passive AI. My rhetorical musing about this is no different than your ominous countdown to deployment of your solution to the Ermorian stalemate. :p

We got a similar incident in a Dom5 game. The battle replay would sometimes show my opponent's Dragon winning the attack on my capital. The battle report would show how he was whacked to death by onis. It was really weird to witness this one rare bug for what was a significant battle (the consequence what my nation bouncing back and my foe losing almost all hope of victory). The way I understand it, the RNG is the same but is not read in the same order between Llamaserver and your computer, hence different results. Or something like that. The report is what matters.

Given the frequency of patches early on, that may well have been the old "server processed the turn under version 5.0X, player reviewed turn under version 5.0X+1" situation. Patches break RNG seeds almost without fail. There's no such explanation why Oceania has been plagued with replay bugs in this game, though.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:36:17 pm by E. Albright »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 24, 2017, 06:43:02 am »

I'm going to postpone the turn by 48h, for the holidays.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 27, 2017, 01:10:46 pm »

*Etgfrog cancel cast ritual, interrupted by falling toads*

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2017, 03:22:58 pm »

Ah, the ancient enmity between toads and frogs at play!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 30, 2017, 04:13:04 pm »

Oi, Imma gonna push the turn until 2nd of January. I think we're all pretty much distracted by various alcohol-related things anyway.
Hopefully, afterwards we'll resume the game at the usual, cough, brisk pace.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 02, 2018, 09:18:57 am »

Looks like we are back (kinda) - Emror actually lost a province with a fort for once, but with how little emror-magic there was at play, it hardly seemed fair.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 02, 2018, 12:37:17 pm »

Yes, so we're finally getting to where we should have 20 turns ago if anyone had been willing to either A) take risks*, or B) not use Ermor as an excuse to secure huge non-Ermorian borders while they finish late-game research goals so they can steamroll their former "allies".

To be frank, I've been running on no more than 20-ish death gems all game (and remember, my cap is 15d), so not only is this long overdue** and inevitable, but the lack of mage power is entirely to be expected (and also why I was so easily contained, obviously).

*I am SO GLAD that Dom5 got rid of UGoIgo. "But I must have initiative or I lose!" is a terrible dynamic. Or more to the point, it's a terrible non-dynamic...

**If anyone wonders why I've grown increasingly exasperated-sounding as the game crawled on, spending 3/4s the game as "such a huge threat that everyone must make inviolable NAPs and gang up to defeat, but still not enough of a threat to actually make coordinated or sustained attacks against" is more than a little fatiguing. I completely understand why some of the parties involved did so - being able to skip your vulnerable early and mid-game and glide into your strong late game is a huge boon - but it's not really enjoyable to be used as a sustained stalling tactic, and the knowledge that the strong mid-game nations who passively facilitated it are now going to suffer for their folly only goes so far.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:07:03 pm by E. Albright »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 02, 2018, 04:01:21 pm »

Yes, so we're finally getting to where we should have 20 turns ago if anyone had been willing to either A) take risks*, or B) not use Ermor as an excuse to secure huge non-Ermorian borders while they finish late-game research goals so they can steamroll their former "allies".
You mean anyone that isn't me? You kind of ignore that most other nations were busy fighting bandar log, who also had taken a crazy bless. You also have very well proven that anyone who attack ermor is going to lose whatever army they send, which ends up being a lose/lose situation because if you ignore ermor, they just slowly push out making a larger area where its "pointless" to attack until it gets to be turn 50 and ermor has a massive fortress complex that hitting any of the forts will result in the army being lost.

Also, at this point, I don't care if I lose, I considered that I've lost since the game started and I saw I was the closest to ermor.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:19:29 pm by etgfrog »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 02, 2018, 05:24:21 pm »

After the battle where all your cap mages suicidally creamed all my non-chaff eastern forces, if you had pushed forward with what you had securing your border I'd have folded. Or just as much to the point, if Mari or Agartha or Oceania had pushed then, I'd have folded. If two nations had ever pushed at once, I'd have folded. The elephants in the room, Arco (who was never at war with BL, mind you), could have pushed forward alone any time they pleased, and it would have been ugly, but they would have won. They didn't, obviously, because they were weaker against non-Ermorian armies like you or Mari or Agartha at that point, while they could definitely smash anything less than an all-out offensive from me (and probably could smash that too, albeit at greater cost). So better to sit by passively keeping me from doing anything but turtling while they got to the late game with a huge swathe of territory, lots of gems, elemental royalty, etc. Congrats, we're there. They're almost certainly going to win because they played the anti-Ermor diplomatic game perfectly.

Ulm lost, but to diplomacy, not geography. Having 7 0-pop provinces to your north - of which you might get half - will never matter as much as the 30-or-so full-pop provinces to your east that you'll never hold because of Arco. Arco is probably not stoppable barring a a prompt dogpile coupled with some serious late-game shenanigans, and I don't see that happening. Not my problem, though. I've been warning against that for years in-game, and no one cared. So, you're welcome to it; maybe you all can transition well enough to beat them. I doubt it, but maybe.

[Point of reference, since it doesn't matter at this point: my research is 3/5/5/4/5/5/5. This is the threat to all life you're still railing on against.]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:28:50 pm by E. Albright »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 39