Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 126930 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #855 on: September 26, 2021, 07:17:51 pm »

Just had a siege battle where I'm attacking with 180 units, and the enemy (C'tis) has a bunch of priests spamming heavenly strike. Thing is, more than half of these struck my god until he died (8 times). Now I don't really know how to do the statistics for this one, but I get the feeling the chance of that happening should be somewhere around .0000000001%, and that's just the chance to hit and not magic resistance or anything.

Is there some mechanic I'm not aware of that lets your priests target the largest unit or something?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: September 26, 2021, 07:43:26 pm »

It's been a while, but yes, mages will tend to target high hp units. This is why summons like the Crusher exist, they can draw evocation fire away from the damage dealing units in your army.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 26, 2021, 07:55:26 pm »

So that's the default Ai for mages? Huh, good to know.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 27, 2021, 02:10:36 am »

I'm pretty sure that, since mage commander orders are limited to just "cast", without the granularity other orders get (i.e. you can have "attack cavalry" or "fire at fliers", but not "cast at large units"), the mage AI just does the same thing that regular AI without specific orders does, and picks what to do according to battlefield situation. Which can and will include picking targets that result in the most damage dealt, picking most threatening targets, etc.

I find it curious that setting the orders to "do whatever" is the only way to get some advanced behavior out of your units. Like getting your Wardens to move up a few paces to get better shots with the crossbows, or to have your javelin-hurling warriors of all kinds to actually use their javelins without forgetting to get up close and smash their enemies' faces in.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 27, 2021, 01:57:56 pm »

It actually makes a certain amount of sense - rather than giving your commanders instructions to engage specific targets according to an overarching plan in preference to things that might seem like more of a threat to them, you let them use their judgement and/or sense of self-preservation to pick their targets. The only thing that feels weird is that all units have the same judgement rather than some being more short-sighted or self-serving.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 05, 2021, 01:46:56 am »

Any mods out there that will let me redo the previous turn? Too many times do I forget to make something attack instead of stealth into a province and it REALLY fucks with my game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 05, 2021, 02:30:55 am »

Any mods out there that will let me redo the previous turn? Too many times do I forget to make something attack instead of stealth into a province and it REALLY fucks with my game.
I assume you mean in singleplayer.

I don't know about mods, like game mods, but you could use something like Dropbox to automatically preserve your previous turns. You would have to symlink (or hardlink, I don't remember which I used) a folder inside your Dropbox to the saves directory of Dominions - this way Dominions would put its saves directly into Dropbox, which would immediately sync them. Then if you messed up, you go to the dropbox website and download one of the previous versions of the .trn file.

There are probably better automatic cloud backup services than Dropbox nowadays, but it's the only one I'm familiar with.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 05, 2021, 05:06:50 pm »

Ooo, I like that idea. I've never used something like Dropbox before. Is it easy?

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 06, 2021, 01:53:09 am »

You could also try this automated turn archiver

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mru8mslvxto4war/Dom5TurnArchiver_v2.zip?dl=0

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 06, 2021, 03:25:10 am »

Ooo, I like that idea. I've never used something like Dropbox before. Is it easy?
After a brief check, I think I would rather recommend MEGASync, the MEGA Desktop app. The setup is simpler compared to Dropbox, at least the way I used it. You can directly set your Dominions saved games folder as a "sync" folder through the desktop client, and then when you need to come back a turn or three you just find the .trn file on your MEGA cloud drive and pick a version to revert to.

I've never used the turn archiver though. It might be a better option if you just need the save-backup and don't necessarily want to have the entire cloud-backup service thing that's intended for more general usage.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 06, 2021, 09:55:57 am »

You could also try this automated turn archiver

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mru8mslvxto4war/Dom5TurnArchiver_v2.zip?dl=0

Thanks, this seems great for testing stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 06, 2021, 02:14:57 pm »

I find the save folder and make backups for my SP. I back up ever few turns. Once you've gotten a guy cursed but only realize it like 5 turns after it happened, it's nice to roll back and try to avoid that fate.

Tedious and I could probably write a batch script to handle it, but savescumming is as savescumming does.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 06, 2021, 04:44:40 pm »

Never did anything like this for single player, but I definitely loaded previous turns in mp games just to scout out someone's exact army composition or whatever. Even got into the habit of writing the turn number in my orders submissions to the llamaserver so I could look at my old orders as well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 06, 2021, 05:26:06 pm »

I tried downloading that automated turn archiver from dropbox, but it's not working. It says you just need to run the .jar file, but it gives me a JNI error.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 07, 2021, 10:21:07 am »

I tried downloading that automated turn archiver from dropbox, but it's not working. It says you just need to run the .jar file, but it gives me a JNI error.
You need Java set up in order to run .jar's. And possibly updated to the latest version.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 67