Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 76037 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1!
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »

With apologies, but I had little time this morning to finish what I wanted, and I've been busy all day.

Except to scribble some notes on the (incomplete) printout I made of the Game code. Interesting language. Interesting use of it. @NQT
But you may have been told about those already, and even corrected some/all of the.genuine errors in that.

And I now need to check the gameplay of my fellow players, but first I have another emergency post to make, I suspect, on another thread.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1 - Soft Weekend Start
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2017, 08:40:59 pm »

OTOH, the Trick action subchoices ends with an OR-blank, suggesting the possibility of getting an act only of "<target> until the next lynch", if I manually interpret the syntax correctly.
This is a thing, as I found earlier.

Cryptic Robot
Once per night you can yourself until the next lynch. Action: Trick.

Insane Gambler
Once per night you can two targets until the next lynch. Action: Trick.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »

Can't.  Doesn't matter who I target, really.  Any volunteers?
If you don't mind triggering my ability, me. My ability shouldn't be lethal...
ALL THE SOFTCLAIMS :I

Guys, where's the dialogue between each other.
There's just "I will POKE YOU WITH THIS THING at NIGHT!"

You seem to be missing the point. What Tiruin is trying to say is that you can't always apply the principles from other forms of mafia or even other forums to this one, because the styles of gameplay can vary wildly. Tiruin is not being presumptive she's trying to help a new player to this forum get accustomed to our meta, which can take some getting used to.
This is an excellent example of a series of presumptions.
Yes we presume :P
How are you going to hunt scum without a basis of inference?

And how are you going to try finding scum these days then?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2017, 09:38:42 pm »

That settles it.  I'm poking Tiruin with my thing at night.  Please don't be a PGO.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:35 pm »

That settles it.  I'm poking Tiruin with my thing at night.  Please don't be a PGO.
Even when I volunteered by being poked with all the things. HMPF :I
Also I see dat thing thar. D:< And I say Nuuuu I:

But yeah :v Let's get to planning if people want to talk about night stuff MORE THAN DAY1 STUFF [/hmph]

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2017, 09:48:53 pm »

Y u softclaim :V
Will you jump into conversation to help yourself or just bait and lie in wait there? O_O
I never lie in wait, I'm far too impatient for that.  And I softclaimed because why the fuck not.  This game isn't going to have the slightest semblance of balance, so I'm not taking it super seriously.  I mean, I'm trying to win, but this isn't going to be me in Paranormal 25 or anything.

Maximum Spin: Town information, especially in a game as ridiculous as this one, can only reliably be gained through the day game.  Advocating no lynch leads to less information being available to the town on the next day, once the results of the lynch are known.  Unless you know there's going to be reliable night information, the day game is your only means of finding scum, and without information the day game is simply a shot in the dark.  You're right that very rarely is day one sufficient information to find scum, but neither is pretty much any other day in isolation: you have to get information over the course of several days, and watching how people vote can provide additional weight to a case further down the road.

And for the record, the first mafiakill very rarely provides useful information.  It's generally targeted at whoever the mafia felt was most townie during the day, or on occasion someone they think has found them out and they don't want speaking anymore. Which, again, you can't even glean any info from that if people just bandwagon onto no lynch.

Generally: Apparently there was some comment/question about lying in games?  Idk, but I saw Starver responding to something on it so I'm gonna state my own opinions.  For me, most of my lies are lies of omission or simply giving a misleading impression of what I am without outright saying anything.  I think that lying is a useful tool for both town and scum, but only when used well.  You have to weigh the potential benefit of the lie versus the potential cost, including the cost of you being caught in your lie before you can fess up.  Lying to get out of a hard-to-swallow truth is also never a good plan: the moment you get caught out on it, your ass is dead because if telling the truth would have seemed suspicious, not having mentioned it at all is going to make you obvscum in the eyes of others.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »

Although I think our GM has a very different opinion on me and my lies.  To quote him, "Pro-tip: 4mask is always lying. Figure out what his angle is."  Now, I'm not advocating assuming everything I say is a lie, but it felt like an appropriate time to bring back that quote.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:05 pm »

Maximum Spin: Town information, especially in a game as ridiculous as this one, can only reliably be gained through the day game.
Daygame is important, but it shouldn't end in lynching for no reason, and going the formulaic RVS route just leads to low-quality information.
neither is pretty much any other day in isolation: you have to get information over the course of several days, and watching how people vote can provide additional weight to a case further down the road.
This is exactly what I'm saying.

And for the record, the first mafiakill very rarely provides useful information.  It's generally targeted at whoever the mafia felt was most townie during the day, or on occasion someone they think has found them out and they don't want speaking anymore. Which, again, you can't even glean any info from that if people just bandwagon onto no lynch.
I didn't mean to imply that it would - what I mean to imply is that the first day, night, and second day together are a better source of information than the first day alone.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »

Maximum Spin: Town information, especially in a game as ridiculous as this one, can only reliably be gained through the day game.
Daygame is important, but it shouldn't end in lynching for no reason, and going the formulaic RVS route just leads to low-quality information.
neither is pretty much any other day in isolation: you have to get information over the course of several days, and watching how people vote can provide additional weight to a case further down the road.
This is exactly what I'm saying.

I didn't mean to imply that it would - what I mean to imply is that the first day, night, and second day together are a better source of information than the first day alone.
I'd argue that the knowledge that the day will end in a no-lynch would reduce the quality of information, since the scum have no need to try and get an actual lynch and know they're in no danger if people suspect them day one and thus aren't put under pressure, but I think at this point it's just difference of opinion.  Fair enough.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2017, 10:00:22 pm »

So backing up, why do you believe a no lynch is better?

And how 'low quality' is the roleflip of the person being targeted?

Leafsnail, FoU, are y'all going to follow up your votes?

That being said--what about everyone else who isn't focused on the day (talkin' bout y'all and more, NIGHT POKERS!), is there not anything people have to talk about :V

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2017, 10:03:09 pm »

That being said--what about everyone else who isn't focused on the day (talkin' bout y'all and more, NIGHT POKERS!), is there not anything people have to talk about :V
Am I in this category?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2017, 10:07:01 pm »

Incidentally, although there are many possibilities still in superposition, in general I currently weakly suspect that Tiruin is not Mafia and that Leafsnail is.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:45 pm »

Incidentally, although there are many possibilities still in superposition, in general I currently weakly suspect that Tiruin is not Mafia and that Leafsnail is.
That's super.  Your opinion is great ... for me to poop on!

You want to make it anywhere in this world, kid, you gottaa explain your REASONS for why you feel that way.  Otherwise you're just another newbie being fiter for a noose. 

The torad to bay12 is pabved with the corpses of newbies who are very smart.  And who don't offer reasons.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »

That's super.  Your opinion is great ... for me to poop on!

You want to make it anywhere in this world, kid, you gottaa explain your REASONS for why you feel that way.  Otherwise you're just another newbie being fiter for a noose. 

The torad to bay12 is pabved with the corpses of newbies who are very smart.  And who don't offer reasons.
Are you drunk again Shakerag?

That being said, MaximumSpin, what Shakerag says is pretty true: don't say things unless you're willing to back them up.  Hell, even a "gut instinct" is better than literally nothing, although most people will ignore gut reads until they have teeth to them.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:39 pm »

Fun thing with metaknowledge, you have tells by very subtle stuffs :P But yes.
Thanks for your read :v
Did this only happen when I publicly changed my vote or...something beforehand?

Also notes for Shakerag; he sounds mean but he's a nice softie.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38