Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 76237 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1!
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:53 am »

There is still time for all to fall upon another. CB1999 could be dangerous tonight. Or someone else.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2017, 12:53:45 pm »

Alright, sorry for my absence.

I decided to glance through people's posts, especially those who currently have some votes on them.

Maximum Spin is a bit worrying, but he's also new. This post advocating a no-lynch is concerning, especially since he notes his willingness to join a no-lynch bandwagon, and in this post he says that no-lynching is town-oriented (and by the way he's no-lynching). Finally, he responds to Leafsnail with a Shakerag vote? His play is odd, but a lot of it is from adjusting to forum mafia meta. He does back up what he says with reasoning. Sometimes it feels a bit defensive, but I can't get behind lynching him with the info we have so far.

Shakerag is a bit concerning - he's lynching just to avoid a tiebreaker. However, most of his other stuff is better. And he's always like this anyway. I don't really want to lynch him either.

NJW2000: here you advocate lynching no-lynchers. What do you think about this now? You note that you don't think anyone in the no-lynch discussion seems especially scummy, so why do you still want to vote for them?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2017, 12:59:29 pm »

Oh, okay.

Ugh. I don't like it, but I'm tempted to leave a vote on Max to prevent a nolynch tie
Don't do this, you should provide your reasoning. You also have the option to vote Shakerag to break the tie - why not him?
Incidentally, I lied about my ability. Sorry. Radical Freedom.
Nah.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »

His play is odd, but a lot of it is from adjusting to forum mafia meta. He does back up what he says with reasoning. Sometimes it feels a bit defensive, but I can't get behind lynching him with the info we have so far.
If my play is odd, it's because my play is odd. It isn't likely to become less odd.

Tiruin, I hope you've been processing this data effectively. It would be a shame for it to go to waste if I don't make it through the night.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - Day 1 - Soft Weekend Start
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:08 pm »

FoU, are y'all going to follow up your votes?
Well, I have no reason to change my vote. Especially because two things.

One of those two things is this.

Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2017, 01:19:37 pm »

Heh.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Long post in which I get something about nolynches off my chest
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2017, 01:31:28 pm »

NJW2000: here you advocate lynching no-lynchers. What do you think about this now? You note that you don't think anyone in the no-lynch discussion seems especially scummy, so why do you still want to vote for them?
1) I don't want a no-lynch. I've read a fair bit of reasoning on this, on bay12 and other mafia sites, and it seems like a nolynch d1 is a bad plan except in special circumstances, even if its practically at random. We have 13-2 (Me and codybob, neither of whom I want to lynch, because it doesn't help town) =11 players, likely 3+ of these anti-town. Statistically, I think even a random lynch would be to Town's advantage in that situation. Also, nolynches mean less information for town, as I see it. So that's why I don't want a nolynch.
This has all been said before and better, but yunno, I was gonna give an ill-spoken rant about nolynches at some point.*

2) Kingawesume and MS are advocating something I think is decidedly anti-town. This doesn't necessarily mean they're scum, it means they're wrong, from my POV. I find the explanation that they have different ideas and experience from most bay12 players fairly convincing: they seem like townies doing the wrong things, or scum hiding behind that facade pretty well. So I didn't have them as much scummier than anyone else.

3) Lynch 'em anyway. Even if they're not scummy, they're still advocating a bad tactic, which is anti-town in its consequences. We've also had a lot of discussion about that, which hasn't put pressure on many people except them, especially as most other people agree about nolynches. And if someone plays badly once, they might do it again, unless we lynch them. If someone is creating and has been creating not-very-useful discussion - lynch them and free up the daygame for scumhunting other people.

Granted, this is slightly poor ground for a lynch, and if someone seemed scummy, I'd want to lynch that someone. But nobody has really stood out like that. Starver responded well to prodding, for example.

But I still think that if I can't find someone I'm pretty sure is scum in the next four hours, lynching Max or King would be the next best option.

Oh, okay.

Ugh. I don't like it, but I'm tempted to leave a vote on Max to prevent a nolynch tie
Don't do this, you should provide your reasoning. You also have the option to vote Shakerag to break the tie - why not him?
My reasoning was that there were a couple of nolynch votes ( or maybe someone transferred, there hadn't been a votecount recently) and if I voted Max, it would take two people, not one, to make a Nolynch/Max tie.

Looking back, I was wrong, there was just one nolynch vote, because Max voted Shakerag. Tbh, I didn't really process that as important, (partly because I didn't expect that Shakerag could be lynched over Max) but you're right, Shake had two votes on him, I could have voted him. Then again, he hadn't been campaigning for a nolynch. Did I mention that I think we shouldn't do that?

*I've been trying not to get directly involved in nolynch debate, because I didn't think my voice would help much - I'm bad at persuasion and less informed and articulate than, say, Tiruin. I can generally say less in more words too.
One wheel short of a wagon

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2017, 02:05:28 pm »

Apologies, been busy.

I'll review the thread, bring up anything of importance, please.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2017, 02:06:40 pm »

Some jerk dicked with my role, and Leafsnail's the same old grump.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2017, 02:09:46 pm »

Uncast my vote. I can't figure out which side of this argument I want to be on; there are plenty of good reasons on either side. Argue amongst yourselves; if I find a line of reasoning to get behind, I will gladly join it.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2017, 02:59:11 pm »

Did something NJW saw affront you?
No, and words are words anyway. Just the courtesy of a reply, when I had time to spare to do so. I could suggest you sound needled about something. (But I now recall this is what you're like anyway, which I know you won't thank me for saying...  ;))

I, on the other hand, am often too wordy. Or maybe I'm playing to that? We may find out, eventually!  :P

(And BST is British Summer Time, GMT+1 and current DST UK time, whoever might yet benefit from that info. I'm personally planning on rush reviewing thread in 45 minutes, cramming for day-end!)

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2017, 03:11:54 pm »

unvote

I'm a little uneasy about Shakerag and his vote for Maximum Spin to avoid a tie, but Maximum Spin isn't making me feel to good about him, either.

Shakerag's justification for his vote seems like just that: a justfication, not an actual reason for his vote.

Meanwhile Maximum Spin's actions don't seem to be helping town much, and he could become a liabilty

Shakerag: While I agree that Maximum Spin might be distracting us a bit from scumhunting, do you really believe that he's a lost cause? He looks like he's starting to warm up to this forum's playstyle, and I think he might be able to redeem himself.

Maximum Spin is engaging in all the classic mistaken behaviours typical of new players - responding angrily to every vote against them, softclaiming their role in order to make an appeal to emotion and advocating for no lynch.
Odd that you see anger. Did you miss my first post?

Words not to convince, though conviction may come later. Words to evince. Shakerag. This is not in response to your vote against me.

Is there any particular reason you lied about your role? And why reveal that now? Also you said that you found Leafsnail scummy. Can you explain why?

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2017, 04:26:11 pm »

We've got about an hour and a half left in the day, any closing remarks? Everyone
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2017, 04:29:45 pm »

I'm not advocating anything. I don't advocate things. If I ever appear to be advocating something, there's probably a reason for that, but the reason is probably not that I'm actually advocating something.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »

I'm not advocating anything. I don't advocate things. If I ever appear to be advocating something, there's probably a reason for that, but the reason is probably not that I'm actually advocating something.
So... you don't advocate hunting scum?

You probably don't mean that, but I'd like to check.
~~~
I'm a little uneasy about Shakerag and his vote for Maximum Spin to avoid a tie, but Maximum Spin isn't making me feel to good about him, either.
Well, so far, from my perspective, Mr. Spin has proved scummiest of all of us, and a lynch on him would be much better than the dreaded day one no lynch.

Some jerk dicked with my role, and Leafsnail's the same old grump.
Let me guess, your role was the ability switch one?

It wasn't me who did that to you. For some reason I don't know at all, my role got completely replaced today(my guess it was switched with someone else). I have my suspicions for who did it, but for the moment...

Well, I ended up getting the ability to swap an ability with someone. I swapped with Shakerag.

So I can verify that he was telling the truth about his Santa shower. I'm doing to do the thing he was going to do tonight, though perhaps with a different target.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 38