Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 76238 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia- N5 Unexpected Continuation of Service
« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2017, 10:22:11 am »

GAME OVER

Kingawsume was killed. Kinga was town.

Spoiler: Kingawsume (click to show/hide)

Tie no lynch D6.

N6 NJW200 will be killed. NJW was town.

Spoiler: NJW200 (click to show/hide)

Silthuri looked around at the pristine server. Everything was now running according to her's and Persus's vision. No more griefers. No more casuals. But, also no more other players. No one else to run raids with. No one to chat with. A paradise, but a lonely one. Haunted by the echoes of the players that had tried to make their mark here. She logged off.

Silthuri was mafia. Persus13 and Silthuri win as the Mafia. Everyone else loses.

Spoiler: Silthuri (click to show/hide)

Observation Channel which contains a lot of the action reporting and all the original roles.

Scum chat.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN
« Reply #541 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:23 am »

I feel like that with better day play, the game should have been in the bag for town. However, quality of play on this forum has degraded to really low-energy shrug lynches. It's no surprise the mafia were able to snooze their way to victory, even though Persus completely failed to save himself on the last day.

I kept the game open because it was still possible for town to win by night-killing with the prime/ignite, or for SK's to win by everyone killing each other simultaneously. If town had lynched Silthuri instead (very possible given scum's inactivity) they could have won. Likewise, if Silthuri has NK'd NJW instead, it would have been an SK victory.

I always run games that I'd actually like to play. If I'd have played, I'd have tried to work out what everyone's night action had been (there were enough claims).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:32:13 am by notquitethere »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2017, 10:46:30 am »

Well that was fun. I was going to Santa everyone to death, but that didn't work out.
This is totally my bah post.

Good game.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2017, 10:50:21 am »

This game was the closest I've seen to an SK victory, Santaing everyone was a viable strategy, if it had had one more use there probably would have been enough kill powers to almost guarantee a total wipeout.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 28, 2017, 11:09:28 am »

Ehm, it was pretty much impossible for town to win once it was public knowledge that king was primed. SK could have won, but on the off-chance Sil was town I went for Persus.

Yeah, its unlikely that there would be just one scum. But killing Sil gets us nowhere as Persus could just kill me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:11:31 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:34 am »

King, I'd be happy to kill both people ASAP - if you're scum, well done mate, you've played better than half the town.
That's 4 out of 8 people you're damning here.
Given King is scum, I assumed 1+ town apart from me. So... Persus/BHK or Sil/4mask being town: he would have been better than them. Unlike me, he didn't push for a lynch on town players and fail to tiebreak after talking about tiebreaking. I'd say King played better than two and a couple of others.

King didn't play v. badly. He just failed to conform to Bay12 meta, which got him more criticism than being inactive would have. Town's biggest problem right there.

Ok, not sure about poisoning Tiruin... hm.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #546 on: November 28, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »

Ah darn. I knew we should have gone for Sil. Oh well, gg and Bah.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »

I feel like that with better day play, the game should have been in the bag for town. However, quality of play on this forum has degraded to really low-energy shrug lynches.
A ton of people replaced out. A lot of new people came in. I have literally NO IDEA why people didn't try harder in the daygame however. >_<

King didn't play v. badly. He just failed to conform to Bay12 meta, which got him more criticism than being inactive would have. Town's biggest problem right there.
It REALLY WAS NOT the 'metagame' this game, but the activity. Day game/scumhunting did not occur actively and there was a lot of passivity around. Putting it to some metagame isn't going to be valid, unless you mean the metagame means 'play your daygame'.

There was a ton of things left unmentioned, and a ton more left spoken but undetailed. I can't even figure out how that endgame happened when people KNEW who was primed and who was not, and SOMEHOW people agreed with "1 Mafia left"?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:51 pm »

One mafia left was unlikely. 1 mafia, 1 SK without a kill... just possible, given the rest of the game. Naturally, one thinks of a mafia as a collection of individuals, but one also thinks of a serial killer as someone capable of killing directly, and the game threw that assumption out the window.

Unless you're suggesting we should have forced an SK victory. If that's a standard way to play for a draw, so to speak.

Because otherwise, as soon as King mentioned he was primed, everyone was going to die if he ignited that night. Not sure if we should have somehow kept that information hidden from the mafia, or how we could have known to.

I guess there was clever dickery with night actions to be done, but I didn't send one out in time. I didn't act well in other bits of the game, but lynching Persus was the best course for a town win.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:33 pm »

One mafia left was unlikely.
How WAS IT LIKELY is the biggest question I haven't seen even touched this game.

Also why didn't king claim anything of what he did o_O He did notice he got brainwashed but he didn't mention that one. :-\ Or anything else?

I guess there was clever dickery with night actions to be done, but I didn't send one out in time. I didn't act well in other bits of the game, but lynching Persus was the best course for a town win.
No, lynching Sil was the best since king claimed his primed targets in posts like these many times beforehand, thereby you knowing you are town leads the lynch to Sil, and I am baffled how it got to PERSUS from there on because it seems all the posts after are spoken in unspoken-text. There's a lot of gaps.

There's also the fact that you predicted the scumteam and...the same gaps arose :/ what were you thinking? How did you come up with those two exact people? It wasn't shared. Those ideas are opportunities TO share as every Townperson is not playing alone--anything they say can be followed up by other people, and that makes the best tool of the Town.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 28, 2017, 01:33:32 pm »

I'm a little sorry that I didn't save myself better, especially as I had (slowly) narrowed it down to likely the true scumteam plus another I mistook, but I was actually more keen to remove the poison ability from those who looked like they were trying to take them for nefarious purposes.

My notes are at home (on the road again!) but I started to make a Forums-compatible summary of everything that was done, so if I get to it before people have more exciting things to think about I may still post it.

Interesting game. Confusing (only partly because I let it confuse me) but interesting.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »

Sheesh. If king killed Persus through igniting, he would have died too. That's clear in the post you just quoted.

If there were two mafia, as is apparently so certain, then lynching Sil would have done nothing because Persus would just kill me. He was primed, he knew King was primed, so he could just cause everyone's deaths, so SK win. Granted, he might have chosen to let town win, but 1) mafia don't do that and 2) who cares about winning that way. I understood that killing Sil would give SK victory, and I didn't want to do that.

The only way we could win was if no non-town elements had a kill. (Well, possibly there was a way involving me targeting someone and using the scum's redirect, but I haven't puzzled that out yet.)

There was at least one mafia left. Possibly two (in which case just a lynch would be insufficient), possibly one and an SK with no kill. Given Persus' falseclaim, we knew he was non-town. Thus, given that it was at least possible for their to be one mafia, we needed to kill Persus, as he was most likely to be scum. In the event, we were boned, as there were two scum.

Quote from: NQT observation
If Persus uses the brainwash power on NJW and NJW uses the inform power on Silthuri, and King activates the ignite, then Silthuri will be brainwash-killed, Kinga and Persus will be ignite-killed, and town will win if scum targeted the kill at Kinga, otherwise if they target NJW then everyone will die and both serial killers will win.
Or if we lynched Sil, and Persus targeted King, and King ignited, we would have won. Problem: Persus isn't that thick/generous: he'd have NK'd me, SK win. Well, given the falseclaim, maybe I shouldn't have assumed such close analysis on the part of the mafia, but anyway...

Thing is, once scum knew King was primed, they were going to target me. I toyed with ways of getting them to target King while he ignited them (I think I mentioned this) but couldn't think of a reliable way to do it, given that mafia had all information I gave King, and he would probably keep his word if I made him promise irrationally not to kill anyone at night. If King had said something like, "I would never kill myself by igniting me and Persus while town was alive", Persus might have been persuaded to kill him rather than me to remove the ignite-threat, and if King had then ignited him, town would have won. Wasn't going to happen though.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:13 pm »

Sheesh. If king killed Persus through igniting, he would have died too. That's clear in the post you just quoted.

If there were two mafia, as is apparently so certain, then lynching Sil would have done nothing because Persus would just kill me. He was primed, he knew King was primed, so he could just cause everyone's deaths, so SK win. Granted, he might have chosen to let town win, but 1) mafia don't do that and 2) who cares about winning that way. I understood that killing Sil would give SK victory, and I didn't want to do that.

The only way we could win was if no non-town elements had a kill. (Well, possibly there was a way involving me targeting someone and using the scum's redirect, but I haven't puzzled that out yet.)

There was at least one mafia left. Possibly two (in which case just a lynch would be insufficient), possibly one and an SK with no kill. Given Persus' falseclaim, we knew he was non-town. Thus, given that it was at least possible for their to be one mafia, we needed to kill Persus, as he was most likely to be scum. In the event, we were boned, as there were two scum.

Quote from: NQT observation
If Persus uses the brainwash power on NJW and NJW uses the inform power on Silthuri, and King activates the ignite, then Silthuri will be brainwash-killed, Kinga and Persus will be ignite-killed, and town will win if scum targeted the kill at Kinga, otherwise if they target NJW then everyone will die and both serial killers will win.
Or if we lynched Sil, and Persus targeted King, and King ignited, we would have won. Problem: Persus isn't that thick/generous: he'd have NK'd me, SK win. Well, given the falseclaim, maybe I shouldn't have assumed such close analysis on the part of the mafia, but anyway...

Thing is, once scum knew King was primed, they were going to target me. I toyed with ways of getting them to target King while he ignited them (I think I mentioned this) but couldn't think of a reliable way to do it, given that mafia had all information I gave King, and he would probably keep his word if I made him promise irrationally not to kill anyone at night. If King had said something like, "I would never kill myself by igniting me and Persus while town was alive", Persus might have been persuaded to kill him rather than me to remove the ignite-threat, and if King had then ignited him, town would have won. Wasn't going to happen though.

Quote from: Max
They are assuming 1 mafia because if there are two mafia that would be a 50:50 split, which usually means loss. In this case, of course, it doesn't mean a loss because of abilities, but no living player seems to have figured that out yet. Because they aren't very bright.
I clocked that, although I had no way of knowing whether it was town or sk that might win. I knew there might be two mafia, I just thought we were screwed in that case due to reasoning posted above.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #553 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:22 pm »

I'd like to think that if(tm) I didn't gloat every time I got a kill role, we might have won. But alas, it didn't matter.
This was an interesting idea; the play execution wasn't the best, but I think if we did it again with more active players (myself included), it could have been a fun game.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 28, 2017, 08:55:55 pm »

I am very much in favour of trying again.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38