Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 27538 times)

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1899 Design Phase
« Reply #330 on: December 10, 2017, 06:54:12 pm »

here are some of my design proposals for a new artillery which for now i will tentatively call ayanga(thunder)

Ayanga:In order to rapid fire capabilities like what we have seen from the nafas and our french friends we have shamelessly stolen the idea and included a hydro-pneumatic recoil system to remove the need to readjust the gun after every shot. as the gun is intended to be used a field gun and as a howitzer the shell and propellant case are detached and loaded separately this allows the gun crew to add and remove propellant charges as needed for variable muzzle velocities. the gun carriage is designed to have a split trail that can be folded for transport to allows for 40 degrees of elevation and gun traversal range 30 degrees left and right. to ensure the wheels are not damaged from firing 40 degrees elevation at max power a platform at the bottom of the carriage can be lowered for the gun to rest on instead of the wheels this also had the added benefit of making the gun more stable. Despite engineer Khang's criticism of the nafa's 6 inch gun having a gun shield he has begrudgingly included a 4mm gun shield on the front of the carriage to provide some protection for the gun crew as the gun is still a field gun and is expected to have some use shooting at LoS targets. the gun has an adjustable sight for direct fire use. Additionally along with the gun we will make AP and APHE shells
AP: solid steel pointed shots intended to punch through armour
APHE: are AP shells with with as large of a explosive charge at the base of the shell we can put in with out having a serious impact on the
armour pen capabilities of the shell (APHE shells have negligible impact on shell performance 10cm and up )
additional HE shells have coloured bands pointed on the shell to distinguish between high and low velocity, high velocity HE shells need thicker shells walls thus less room for explosives.

Quote from: Proposal A:QF-10cm L30
10cm gun with a bore length of 3 meters.
estimated weight: around 1.6~2 tonnes
shell weight: 15kg
estimated max range: 11~12km
Quote from: Proposal B:QF-12cm L40
12cm gun with a bore length of 4.8meters
estimated weight: around 4 tonnes
shell weight: 28kg
estimated max range: 12~15km
Quote from: Proposal B:QF-15cm L35
15cm gun with a bore length of 5.2meters
estimated weight: around 6 tonnes
shell weight: 45kg
estimated max range: 16km

Note these are all literally naval guns being used as howitzers
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:27:54 pm by Khang36 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 11, 2017, 07:37:42 am »

I mean, I guess. Feels a bit boring to just copy the Nafunans turn after turn and hope to roll better.
:/
Oh well.

Consider my vote to be for the Ayanga. I guess the middle option? Although I don't really care which variety we go with that much.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 11, 2017, 08:53:47 am »

To keep things rolling, well, B does seem good enough.. Even if I'd prefer to go easy on the fancy specialty ammo.

Quote from: Votebox
Ayanga
-Proposal A
-Proposal B: (2) NUKE, Jilladilla
-Proposal C

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 11, 2017, 10:01:31 am »

Hello! Joining up with glorious not-Mongols of Karikhita!

I'm voting for the Ayanga too, as the Nafuna artillery seems to be giving them a large advantage. However, I would prefer the C-variant for the possibility of outranging them.

Quote from: Votebox
Ayanga
-Proposal A
-Proposal C: (1) Cnidaros

For revision, we should fix the Ayanga if it doesn't roll well, or perhaps go for a uniform revision that includes camouflage and a metal helmet?

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:19 am »

Ayanga
-Proposal A
-Proposal C: (2) Cnidaros, SamSpeeds

Next turn we should make a biplane or glider and drop bombs by hand on artillery positions :D

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »

Ayanga Rewritten
In order to obtain rapid-fire artillery capabilities such as those possessed by the Nafunans and our French allies, we designed a hydro-pneumatic recoil system, which removes the traditional need to readjust the gun after every shot. Then, we mounted it on a 120mm/L40 gun, which is intended to be used a field gun and as a howitzer, and so has a long barrel and simple sighting system for direct fire, as well as a Light gun shield of about 10mm thickness, to prevent rifle-shot penetrations. The shells, however, are markedly different from previous designs, coming in two varieties: The "short" howitzer shells and "long" field-gun shells. The short shells pack less powder and more explosive content, the field guns fire a stronger shell with more powder. The gun carriage has a split tail that can be folded for transport by a group of horses for maximum mobility, while the ammo is carried separately by another pair of horses. The carriage is designed to allow 40 degrees of elevation and gun traversal range 30 degrees left and right. To ensure that the wheels will not be damaged from firing at max power and elevation, a set of jacks at the bottom of the carriage can be lowered for the gun to rest on instead of the wheels, stabilizing the gun and preventing the suspension from taking damage from the firing process. The gun makes use of AP shot, which is basically a lump of shaped steel used to break things like our ironclads (which have armor), HE like we have already developed, and an APHE shell, which is basically a lump of steel with explosives behind it, made for punching through armor before detonating.

I rewrote the Ayanga B proposal to be a little more concise and understandable. I think. Anyway, posting it because my brain hurts and I can't consider the relative value of actually using a rewrite right now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 11, 2017, 04:04:13 pm »

Ayanga
-Proposal A

Next turn we should make a biplane or glider and drop bombs by hand on artillery positions :D

If we get observation ballons we shoild be able to just have our gun shoot their artillery all proposals should have either equal or greater range than any 6 inch howitzer.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 11, 2017, 04:13:17 pm »

Ayanga
-Proposal A
-Proposal B: (3) NUKE, Jilladilla, Madman

Just to let things move I'm voting for this gun.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 11, 2017, 04:14:19 pm »

Ayanga
-Proposal A
-Proposal B: (4) NUKE, Jilladilla, Madman,khang

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 11, 2017, 06:22:58 pm »

Very Hard: 6
Ayanga QF-12cm L40:
The Ayanga is a 120mm Artillery cannon that can best be described as quite simply a smaller version of what the Nafunans did along with a fancy new shell. The artillery has a impressive max range a bit further than we would have expected, being somewhere around 17km, although on land and at optional positioning we have to use it at a bit more then half that range due to sight issues. On ships however we expect that this wont be an issue. The cannon is also quick to fire and should be able to with a skilled crew fire slightly faster then the Nafunans own artillery and will provide a powerful punch that is not much less powerful then the Nafunans. It should also be mentioned its heavy, and slow to move, but not as bad as it could be. It should be mentioned that we would need to do a bit of work to put them on our ships, but it wouldn't be too hard to do so. Costs 3 ore. Cheap

It is now the Revision Phase, the Khan is very happy with your work.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 11, 2017, 11:45:19 pm »

Very Hard: 6

Just like me when I see that

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1899 Revision Phase
« Reply #341 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:41 am »

Ayanga Improvements

First priority is to make a simple flare gun for our frontline soldiers to call down Ayanga fire from beyond line of sight. Second priority is to install Ayangas on our Luu-class cruisers and Yalagdashgui ships.

Quote from: Votes
Ayanga Improvements (1): Cnidaros

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:05 pm »

Ayanga Improvements (2): Cnidaros,khang

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2017, 12:35:59 pm »

Fragmentation Grenade

Simply put, its surplus explosive material, a metal casing, and some weird  bits of material we found on the floor all mashed together to form a grenade with a 4ish second timer. It's scary as hell, but it works, and it somehow has a hand conforming grip. and a coffee mug handle.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2017, 02:30:24 pm »

Ayanga Improvements (3): Cnidaros, khang, Madman
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33