Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 55296 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2017, 09:00:29 am »

Cabbage is pretty awesome, has way more nutrients and stays fresh longer. Fuck lettuce.

Yeah but it smells like a dying whale's asshole when you cook it :P

Not chinese cabbage. What they call napa in Japan. this stuff is great an definitely doesn't smell at all:

I'll agree that European cabbage is pretty disgusting. I never get that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:03:24 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2017, 01:49:41 pm »

I'll try it!

My entire life I've had this crippling deficiency: I hate 90% of greens. Ever since I was a little kid.

-Brussel Sprouts
-Cooked Spinach
-Cooked Broccoli
-Bok Choi
-Cabbage
-Kale

Basically the stronger the flavor of the green, the worse I hate it.

I do like most greens raw. Lettuce and spinach are good. Cooked peas and green beans are ok too. The extra problem is though, entirely likely to my eating habits over my life, my body does not process raw fruits or vegetables very well. Could easily be a deficiency in my gut microbiome and that is correctable. But it's actually made it hard to eat some of my favorite fruits or raw greens I like. I can't eat apples because I simply don't digest them completely. Same story with a lot of other stuff like olives (which I fuckin love pretty much every variety of olive I've ever eaten.)

Too me most bulk vegetables are far tastier raw, and the crisp texture make it way more palatable to me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:01:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2017, 03:57:10 pm »

I'll try it!

My entire life I've had this crippling deficiency: I hate 90% of greens. Ever since I was a little kid.

-Brussel Sprouts
-Cooked Spinach
-Cooked Broccoli
-Bok Choi
-Cabbage
-Kale

Basically all, the stronger the flavor of the green, the worse I hate it.

I do like most greens raw. Lettuce and spinach are good. Cooked peas and green beans are ok too. The extra problem is though, entirely likely to my eating habits over my life, my body does not process raw fruits or vegetables very well. Could easily be a deficiency in my gut microbiome and that is correctable. But it's actually made it hard to eat some of my favorite fruits or raw greens I like. I can't eat apples because I simply don't digest them completely. Same story with a lot of other stuff like olives (which I fuckin love pretty much every variety of olive I've ever eaten.)

Too me most bulk vegetables are far tastier raw, and the crisp texture make it way more palatable to me.
Sound like you've got a problem with wet heat-cooked greens.

And honestly, there's a damn good reason to hate these - more often than not, they're a tasteless mush with the texture, and palatability, of snot.

Of the stuff you mentioned, Brussel Sprouts are an easy fix - don't boil 'em, roast 'em. Roasted sprouts with some balsamic vinegar are awesome - I could, and did, eat a kilogram a day and still not be sick of them. The downsides are, well... propulsive in nature. Probably would be worse in your case.

Broccoli - just don't overcook them. They really don't need much cooking, if any at all. Mostly, you cook them just so they aren't tough, boiling them for ~2 minutes is enough to keep them crunchy. Also - salt the water!

Spinach is an odd bird in that it's pretty much exactly a pathetic mushy mess and I don't know of any way to prepare it differently other than eating it raw - but I kind of consider it as a platform for delivering tastiness - it soaks up seasonings and it's basically only there as a thickener.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2017, 08:05:15 pm »

I don't really do it myself, but steaming the vegetables is also an option, which would keep more flavor in there and not make them mushy. Maybe easing into raw veggies would be the key there. A little each day, but not too much. Shredding or grating it could give your digestion a help, shredded food has a much higher surface area for digestion to work on.

And I saw a British documentary about nutrition in which they paired up a lot of cheap and easily available "folk remedies" against the new-fangled expensive super-products that were supposed to do the job. The folk remedies almost all won.

One was that eating fresh dandelion works wonders for your digestion. It really works apparently to massively boost levels of your gut micro-biome, where all those "pro-biotics" yogurts actually do diddly squat.

... another was that lycopene protects from sunburn. There was woman with really fair skin who would burn in 10 minutes under the English sun on a normal day. A 45 gram tin of tomato paste a day, and after a couple of weeks she could go outside and play with her kids without burning.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:17:24 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »

Spinach is an odd bird in that it's pretty much exactly a pathetic mushy mess and I don't know of any way to prepare it differently other than eating it raw - but I kind of consider it as a platform for delivering tastiness - it soaks up seasonings and it's basically only there as a thickener.

For a while I was using it raw as a substitute for lettuce on my sandwiches.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2017, 10:53:16 pm »

I love spinach. I generally just have it raw or "wilted", though, not thoroughly cooked - and I'm not really a fan of the pulped, pre-frozen stuff you can buy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2017, 11:23:25 pm »

Or try kimchi.

Basically it's napa/wombok cabbage that's fermented and spiced, but it's a seriously good tasting green vegetable that can be eaten straight out of the pack, or cooked as part of a main dish. Tuna and kimchi stirfry is good stuff. It's also a natural probiotic, which has great benefits for gut health, digestion and well-being.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2017, 12:06:41 am »

From what I've read about gut micro biomes is there are a lot of bacteria adapted to eating different kinds of things. So you want a variety of gut bacteria. And it's hard to know what's going in to your food or if it's still even alive. (The whole thing about Activia, yeah it has pro-biotics but they were found to almost be dead when checked.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2017, 03:11:50 am »

Or try kimchi.
Or for that matter, sauerkraut. Crunchy, probiotic, rich in vitamin C, and from my experience less brutal on the nostrils when you open the bag.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2017, 03:35:25 pm »

Or try kimchi.
Or for that matter, sauerkraut. Crunchy, probiotic, rich in vitamin C, and from my experience less brutal on the nostrils when you open the bag.

i'll second that; toast some german dark bread, heat some sauerkraut, and grill up a nice lean sausage (usually the chicken kind, they're pretty good when grilled simply) and you've got a damn delicious sandwich. and it's fairly healthy to boot.

also, look into some meat replacements, if you have a good local asian market you could find tempeh which, when grilled, can almost make you think its actual meat.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:43:40 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2017, 10:04:14 pm »

Yeah, but sauerkraut doesn't have the same hipster cred as tucking into some kimchi.

In the USA for a significant chunk of people, sauerkraut is "grandpa" food. Kimchi is hip, except probably in Korea, where it is the grandpa food and hipsters probably tuck into some sauerkraut from their local deli.

This all reminds me I really want to stock up on some natto to try that out. There's even an enzyme with amazing health properties only found in natto: nattokinase.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:06:24 pm by Reelya »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2017, 11:10:22 pm »

i can't speak for natto, but i do also enjoy kimchi, but i prefer mine at a rather mild heat, spice wise.

the last time i had the kind i liked was a few years ago before my local asian store moved. i enjoyed heating the kimchi in a pan and layering it on some rice. simple and delicious.

see, now this kind of eating is why im confident of my diet; not working so close to a mcds, burger kings, taco bell, capt' d's, or a wendys anymore, i'm more tempted to actually prepare dinners now.

lol we should rename the thread for fitness and healthy (and delicious) dieting.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:38 am »

Pet peeve: Let's not call it "dieting."

Diets are something you go on, and go off of.

And for most people they don't work. They just put the weight back on because they return to eating what they were before.

Let's instead think of it as "nutrition." Nutrition isn't something you get on or off of, it's just what you're doing. It's a sustainable plan for the future.

Also, I'm nervous about kimchi because of the one time I watched my mom get some and she was sick for 3 days. I know it's just fermented vegetables but still.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:17 am »

Having experienced actual made-by-Koreans-and-in-Korea kimchi, I'd have to be really hungry to leap on that boat.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2017, 12:16:53 pm »

fitness and nutritious eating it is!

Having experienced actual made-by-Koreans-and-in-Korea kimchi, I'd have to be really hungry to leap on that boat.

funnily enough this is why i preferred this filipino knockoff kimchi i was buying, it was good and mild. the spice mix in it favored garlic so it was a bit strong on the nostrils but man it was good and cooked up rather well cuz it was only fermented for a day or two.

the store that made it moved to somewhere near the river and i don't feel like driving out there :(
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:26:46 pm by JimboM12 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38