Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: The Fitness Thread - THE RE-SWOLLENING  (Read 55299 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fitness Thread (aka Git Fit, aka Swole Patrol, aka Many Rep, Such Wow)
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2017, 04:49:10 am »

I love kimchi, especially the super spicy style. Also there's variants besides the main cabbage style, such as radish kimchi.

Sadly, the biggest downside is the large sodium content.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2017, 05:39:22 am »

I'm getting back into running after some long breaks. Anyone got advice on how to avoid tendinitis?
Currently I'm buffering runs with 5 minute walks on either end, inserting a day or two between each, stretching before and after, and taking a cold shower when I get home. Very slowly increasing distance, ratcheting back at the start of each week.
Not keen to bust myself again.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2017, 11:01:34 am »

Sounds like you're doing everything right to me, but, I'm not a runner.

In other news, I finally manned up and started my pushups again. Can do a solid set of 15x3, which is wwaaaaaayyyy better than I was at 6 months ago when a set of 10 would leave me exhausted and unable to do more. So I'm pretty pleased with that. Even with my bum elbow, my pushups are improving. And I think I'm even starting to work the damage out of my elbow doing it.

That said, I still can't do a single pull up. I'm not honestly surprised by it, I struggled to do more than 1 or 2 back in the day when I weighed 150 pounds. So being 40 to 50 pounds heavier makes it even less likely that I'll do one. Still, it's hard thing to work on. Every recommendation for working up strength for pulls ups presupposes a fixed bar at midriff height. People are like "Use a shovel/broom/whatever." Well my experience is, dropping your full body weight on a ghetto, unsecured piece of equipment is a great way to injure yourself. But I simply can't find a bar with the right configuration to start doing incline pullups so I can strengthen to get the whole way there. Kinda frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:49:47 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2017, 11:49:21 am »

I'm getting back into running after some long breaks. Anyone got advice on how to avoid tendinitis?
Currently I'm buffering runs with 5 minute walks on either end, inserting a day or two between each, stretching before and after, and taking a cold shower when I get home. Very slowly increasing distance, ratcheting back at the start of each week.
Not keen to bust myself again.

im assuming this is for weight loss/general health benefits, right? if so, you're doing good, keep it up.

if you are trying to build up your endurance/train for a 5k or something, you should include a sprint in some straight aways, they don't have to be long at first, just a short sprint and then slow back down to a jog.

fasting between meals, holding the gold (fried foods) and the grease (things with high grease/fat content like bacon (NOOOOOOOOOOO!)) and generally shedding the soda has already reaped benefits within one week, i lost 4 pounds, and that's without exercise just yet! woo.
*also eating smaller portions and generally healthier foods
body goals b o d y g o a l s
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:51:23 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2017, 01:26:52 pm »

Indeed.

Now just imagine how fast you'll shed the weight if you do start working out.

I feel like I'm struggling a little to break below 16% body fat. I've lost almost all my abdominal fat other than a small ridge under my lower abs. Can see the top of my hip bone again for the first time in years, which is great. Still got some chest fat I'm slowly burning off.

But it's the back fat that seems really stubborn. I can still grab two great big handfuls of it. Next to a flat stomach that's like, my biggest fitness marker, is having a thin waist all the way around and not just in the front. I'm sure I've got more room to go in my eating and fitness regime....but it's a little deflating to not see huge changes in back even though it's turning in to a fucking beach party up front.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:05:21 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2017, 04:01:25 pm »

Endurance is my ultimate goal so I'll try that out, cheers!
I'm a veggo and do whatever the opposite of stress eating is, so I've been dealing more with the opposite problem. Hard to force myself to eat enough to gain weight.
Been doing well recently though, with plenty of exercise I'm starting to feel like a 20 yo ought to again. Bit wary of over-compensating though.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2017, 04:01:55 pm »

fasting between meals, holding the gold (fried foods) and the grease (things with high grease/fat content like bacon (NOOOOOOOOOOO!)) and generally shedding the soda has already reaped benefits within one week, i lost 4 pounds, and that's without exercise just yet! woo.

I can tell you from personal experience, 'You can't outrun a bad diet'/'Abs are made in the kitchen' is a divine truth.

Your daily energy expenditure breakdown, with no exercise on top, is roughly 15% from casual physical activity to 85% just keeping you alive. And even at pro athlethe activity levels it generally won't even reach a 1:1 ratio. You can fairly easily stay in bed all day and lose weight fast. Exercise for the sake of endurance, strength, flexibility, what-have-you - not weight loss.

Since I've been just waiting for any reason to start talking about this:
  • Take your time. It's pretty much physically impossible to lose a pound of fat mass in a day, and gaining it would require gross overindulgence. We're talking eating all your daily meals, and then three pizzas on top of that. For one pound.
  • This means two things. On the plus side, that spike in your weight after inhaling half a cake yesterday is not actually fat. On the minus side, neither is the drop after you've starved yourself yesterday. There is some fat gain/loss going behind the scenes, but the vast majority of the change you see short-term is plain old water. Don't trust the scales.
  • So, don't go nuts. 1 lbs/week is a safe, sane goal. See, once you readjust, the whole losing weight thing gets downright easy. Hell, after some time just not eating, your appetite centers just figure that if you're not gonna return their calls, they'll call it a day, even bribing you with some sweet homemade opioids to look the other way.

The problem is... remember the thing about 85% daily energy usage? Yeah, those still need their fuel. So at too large deficits, things get Fun. Like, say, not getting warm sitting in a normally heated room despite wearing a fully buttoned winter coat and scarf-Fun.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »

I can tell you from personal experience, 'You can't outrun a bad diet'/'Abs are made in the kitchen' is a divine truth.

The problem is... remember the thing about 85% daily energy usage? Yeah, those still need their fuel. So at too large deficits, things get Fun. Like, say, not getting warm sitting in a normally heated room despite wearing a fully buttoned winter coat and scarf-Fun.

In my experience it was 'struggling to walk up stairs and getting pneumonia-Fun'.
Always eat your vegetables and get your iron.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:37 pm »

In my experience it was 'struggling to walk up stairs and getting pneumonia-Fun'.
Always eat your vegetables and get your iron.
Ouch. Anemia?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »

Possibly, I think I was missing out on a fair few things.
It was never to a clinical level, but I was in a pretty bad way when the pneumonia hit me, which made things worse.
I got my shit together around the same time as going veggo. Went to see a dietitian to make sure I was on the right track. My main problem then was lack of iron, and getting into the Weetbix has set me up pretty well. It's always a good idea to look at your nutrition if you're feeling bad physically.

Here's a thread appropriate fact:
Vitamin C aids in iron uptake, so it's good to couple your oranges and potatoes with your weetbix.  On the other hand, coffee and tea inhibit the uptake of iron by chelating it. This is only for non-heme iron, so it won't impact the iron you get from your steak. I heard it from the dietitian, but here's a source.
The difference is pretty intense: "A reduction in iron absorption was seen when serving tea (62 per cent) or coffee (35 per cent) with the meals. Orange juice increased the iron absorption (85 per cent)."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2017, 07:42:04 pm »

Ah, someone else who has experienced the joy of pneumonia. Lung bros!

Interesting about the iron uptake. I mainline coffee all day every day so that's good to know.

Also, fuck mass market OJ. Shit has enough sugar in it, it might as well be soda.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2017, 06:00:14 am »

If you dilute it with enough vodka, it might help?

Conflicting evidence abounds regarding health status of alcohol.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2017, 06:03:28 pm »

If you dilute it with enough vodka, it might help?

Conflicting evidence abounds regarding health status of alcohol.

you're probably thinking of red wine. a single chilled glass of red wine is somewhat healthy for non addictive types; dry reds contain some antioxidants that are hard to find elsewhere. it does some other good stuff that i can't remember right now.

of course, this is with your largest meal of the day, usually dinner but a good lunch with a single glass could be fine so long as you're not driving and you stop at one glass.

so, uh, the holidays have taken its toll on my nutrition. i can't help myself but i did manage to eat mostly white meat turkey with light chicken based gravy. it was the homemade mashed potatoes with butter and garlic that did me in. i ate like 3 plates of the stuff with aforementioned gravy and turkey.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »

Apparently the threat of holiday fat drives me to extremes, because both this year and last I picked this time to start a calisthenics routine alongside my cardio. Gonna try to score some weights for Christmas, and then it's really on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2017, 07:10:46 pm »

yeah, im going to be fasting between meals and really chugging the water to keep my portions small until christmas.

im still going to go out and say "worth it". my friend's wife's garlic and butter mashed potatoes made the classic way with, i don't know her special kfc recipe, 11 herbs and spices, went so well with chicken broth based homemade gravy. my mind fucking exploded. i want to call her sensei and have her teach me the finer arts of cooking.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38