Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 177926 times)

rcballarin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Dwarf Fortress, so my question might be too obvious, but I've looked everywhere (Reddit, Wiki, Forum) and have not found a decent way to make it work.

I wish to make Cacao beans millable into paste, in a Quern.
In my conception, it would be simple to alter the cacao seed part to look like this, in plant_standard.txt:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:cacao seed]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:SOLID_PASTE:cacao seed paste]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:SOLID_PRESSED:cacao press cake]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:PRESS_LIQUID_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:OIL]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[STOCKPILE_GLOB_PASTE]
[STOCKPILE_GLOB_PRESSED]

However, it doesn't work. I've basically copied the Quarry Bush for the Cacao to be identical, but in presence of rock nuts and cacao beans, the dwarf goes for the rock nuts and, when finished, says that there are no PRESS_LIQUID_MAT-seeds available. I've regened

Would anyone help me on that? I'd really love to have a chocolate factory going on, and I believe that this would be a first step.

Thank you all in advance.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you just copy the SEED? You would need to add an OIL material to the cacao tree.

Also, you will need to generate a new world to see any changes you make

rcballarin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've added the oil too. Sorry, I didn't mention that.

Also, I regenerated the world after every single change.

Edit: Cacao full except https://pastebin.com/f6nSveJq
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:35:58 am by rcballarin »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

I made a couple of reactions to  "salvage" chainmail pieces of armor that are of the wrong size. The proccess is done in two steps:
  • break down the original piece to "sheets" of chainmail
  • use said chainmail to make a variety of armor pieces

The problem is that the crafters can mix pieces of chainmail made of different materials in the same iteration of the reaction (ie the reaction needs 2 pieces and they use one made of copper and one made of steel). Is there a way to force them to always use the same material or do I have to make material specific reactions?

Spoiler: reaction (click to show/hide)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure you'll have to make a separate reaction for every different material reagent. Leather working seems like an odd skill for this

rcballarin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Roses, thanks for the attention. I think I've found the issue.

The problem was that I was not creating Cacao beans properly, I was using DFHack to spawn seeds (probably in a wrong way). They were not being accounted by my fortress for some weird reason, ergo my dwarves would not use it.

I decided to install the Forge mod and create a reaction to produce free cacao beans, and those beans were used as they should.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure you'll have to make a separate reaction for every different material reagent. Leather working seems like an odd skill for this

Thanks.

The civ isn't supposed to have full access to metalworking so I used leatherworkers/clothiers for any armor related needs. That was before I found out I can use dfhack to remove the workshops I don't want them to have instead of outright disabling the labors.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks.

The civ isn't supposed to have full access to metalworking so I used leatherworkers/clothiers for any armor related needs. That was before I found out I can use dfhack to remove the workshops I don't want them to have instead of outright disabling the labors.

I have never used dfhack for modding. How do you use it to remove workshops? Does the user of the mod have to be using dfhack for the mod to work?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes the end user needs to have DFHack too.

There is a script called "change-build-menu" that can be used to remove some of the hardcoded stuff from the build menus. I made an "onLoad.init" (just a txt file that contains the commands that remove the workshops I don't want, same syntax as if you have just typed them in the DFHack console)  that automatically calls up the script every time a fort is loaded. It requires no further input from the player.

I'm also relying on DFHack tweak (it's called block-labors and it's on by default) to disable certain labors while enabling others from the same group. DF labor groups work in mysterious ways, for example putting "weaponsmith" as a permitted job in an entity's raws enables the whole group (armorsmithing, metal crafting, blacksmithing) for said entity. I use this mainly to prevent the use of farming plots but still allow "plant gathering" (so far I haven't found if it's possible to remove farm plot with the change-build-menu).

Spoiler: onLoad.int (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:58:12 pm by Ulfarr »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh cool. I may have to try that out.

I am currently trying to remove carpentry and masonry as permitted jobs but my entity is still using them. Any idea why that would be?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm afraid I don't have any explanation other than what I described in my previous post with the weaponsmith example.

Carpentry is in the same group with Woodcutting and Crossbowmaking while Masonry is in the same group with Stone Detailing (engraving). Now I don't know why but even with DFhack's tweak you can't disable masonry and keep engraving available.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a workshop that creates furniture out of bone. However, until the product (e.g. table/bed is "built") that furniture is still considered a bone reagent and will be used in future creations. Can I put improvements on the products in the same reaction they are created and then put any bone material [NOT_IMPROVED] as the reagent to stop bone furniture from being used?

Also is there a way to multiply the value of that product in the reaction so that they are more valuable than wood or stone items of the same type?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Could make a second bone material for the products, one that lacks [BONE] [ITEMS_HARD] [ITEMS_BARRED] tags. Rename the vanilla bone material "raw bone" and the processed bone "bone".

Here's bone bands improvement code
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could make a second bone material for the products, one that lacks [BONE] [ITEMS_HARD] [ITEMS_BARRED] tags. Rename the vanilla bone material "raw bone" and the processed bone "bone".

Good idea. Thanks.

Is there a way to multiply the value of the product? I dont think I will be able to remove stone and wood furniture from the entity in a clean way so instead I want to incentivize using bone for furniture.

Also that reaction doesnt have a product. Can you not improve a product in the same reaction it was made?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good idea. Thanks.

Is there a way to multiply the value of the product? I dont think I will be able to remove stone and wood furniture from the entity in a clean way so instead I want to incentivize using bone for furniture.

Also that reaction doesnt have a product. Can you not improve a product in the same reaction it was made?

I don't believe so, I think it's a one or the other type of thing. As for increasing the value, if you do make a separate material that only ever appears as "furniture bone" you could up that materials value, but then you would lose any creature value modifiers
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 120