Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.44.x GENERAL MODDING QUESTIONS THREAD - NOW IN ALLCAPS EDITION  (Read 178296 times)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No. There are quite a few problems with this.
1. Dwarves dont always use interactions, so assuming the mother will use it on a child is not guaranteed.
This, I didn't know; I was going off of the wording in http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome#Spreading_diseases for a creature using an interaction to add a syndrome on line of sight.
[/quote]
It used to be true that a unit would use a LOS interaction almost immediately upon it becoming available for use.

3. There is no loop to go back if all possibilities fail on a transform.

If #1 wasn't an issue, wouldn't doing something like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
work? (With BABY being a new popratio:100 caste obviously)
If you were going to do this I would suggest just having the interaction only able to target the BABY caste, or give the BABY caste a specific creature class and only let the syndrome change that creature class (although I would go with the first and use IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE)

One thing to note, unless it has changed recently, setting a pop ratio to 0 actually sets it to 1. I remember generating games with a pop ratio 10000 caste and a pop ratio 0 caste and still (very rarely) having the pop ratio caste appear in legends and show up at the fort as migrants (although at the moment I can't remember if one was ever given birth to in my fortress).

Also, it's very likely that most of the population in legends will be the BABY caste as I don't believe the transformation interactions would work correctly during worldgen, also since the vast majority (if not all) will start as the BABY caste there won't be anyone available to do the interaction

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I created a new playable race with the following castes and pop ratios:

A 45
B 45
C 2
D 2
E 2
F 2
G 1
H 1

However my starting seven were: A B A B C D G

Is the pop ratio number an actual percentage when added up to 100? I find it odd that I started with two castes with a 2% chance of existing and another with a 1% chance of existing.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

not a percent, ratios

45:45:2:2:2:2:1:1

So yeah they would have a 1 to 2 percent chance of being born, but you're generating a world that had countless events and births. It may have been you lucked out and got those rare castes due to the fact they were handy at the time to embark on a grand adventure.

but I noticed with DFs RNG you need to play with larger numbers to get the effect you want

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Your starting 7 are randomly generated at embark screen actually, but you effectively got lucky, no big deal or failure on your part or the games. You'll probably see more embarks with only one rare caste or all caste A/B
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That makes sense thanks. Would you recommend that I add a 0 to those? Two 0s? Three? Or just leave it alone?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile

If you want a really rare caste a zero is usually fine. Once you get into 200 it gets really rare. So I think around 65 is good. Speaking of which is it possible to make a caste more likely to spawn to another caste?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

If you want a really rare caste a zero is usually fine. Once you get into 200 it gets really rare. So I think around 65 is good. Speaking of which is it possible to make a caste more likely to spawn to another caste?

0 goes to default which I think is 100, or 50.

That makes sense thanks. Would you recommend that I add a 0 to those? Two 0s? Three? Or just leave it alone?

You can leave it alone, or just add a few 0s depends on what ones you want more common
Normally for "special only castes" I make them '1' and the common ones like '25000' effectively impossible for the game to spit them out

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thanks. Ill leave it alone for now and do more testing.

Graysire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to create a few new bone related crafting options, is there a way to put them in the bone category in the Craftsdwarf workshop?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

I'm trying to create a few new bone related crafting options, is there a way to put them in the bone category in the Craftsdwarf workshop?

I tried to add one in bone with [CATEGORY:bone] and it just created a second bone category in the craftsdwarf's workshop. I guess that confirms the wiki that says you can only add reactions at custom categories.

Quick question: Messing around with what resources are available at embark I noticed the option for both "copper X" and "native copper X" (where X = jug, pot, nest etc). Am I right to assume that the "copper X" is the metalcrafter's version while the "native copper X" is the stonecrafters or did I messed up my raws somehow?

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

I tried to add one in bone with [CATEGORY:bone] and it just created a second bone category in the craftsdwarf's workshop. I guess that confirms the wiki that says you can only add reactions at custom categories.

Quick question: Messing around with what resources are available at embark I noticed the option for both "copper X" and "native copper X" (where X = jug, pot, nest etc). Am I right to assume that the "copper X" is the metalcrafter's version while the "native copper X" is the stonecrafters or did I messed up my raws somehow?

Yeah, copper and native copper are two different materials. One is the metal and one is the ore.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Wiki: how to put your reaction into a custom category: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Building

"guess the id number of craft shop's BONE category" might or might not work.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile

Yeah, copper and native copper are two different materials. One is the metal and one is the ore.

Thanks
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Belvita

• Bay Watcher
  • Percutiet terram!
    • View Profile

Does anyone have a relatively quick way of culling crittermen from the raws? I'd rather have it as just the main five races and demons/vamps/night creatures. There was a mod on DFFD that did this (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8024) but it's years out of date. Does anything more recent exist?
Elves - The least dangerous game.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does anyone have a relatively quick way of culling crittermen from the raws? I'd rather have it as just the main five races and demons/vamps/night creatures. There was a mod on DFFD that did this (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=8024) but it's years out of date. Does anything more recent exist?

Possibly go into the variation raw called animal men and add [CV_ADD_TAG:DOES_NOT_EXIST] may have to go into the entity file and delete the animal civs as well
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120