Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97216 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1110 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:00 pm »

I just resisted the automatic urge to click a spoiler tag.  That's how excited I am about this!
My brother's an even bigger Star Wars fan (particularly Mandelorians, and The Mandelorian) so I'll just make sure he knows too~
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 31, 2020, 01:06:41 pm »

The Mandalorian is off to a great start for season 2, to be sure!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 27, 2020, 12:26:22 am »

I just had a conversation with my brother about the obvious fact that the Empire is species-ist.
Somehow it got to the point that I screamed for the first time in over a year, just, absolutely screaming at full volume into my laptop.  Since my housemates are away.

It's fine.  We uh, talked it out.
Damn it felt good, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 27, 2020, 02:08:48 am »

Spoiler: Spoilers (click to show/hide)

I bought KOTOR series on sale for like $10 based on the consistancy of positive opinion among those who played it and because it's pre-Disney.

I passed on that new Star Wars Squadrons or whatnot because I'm still nerdmad at Disneyverse. That is sad because it's like three things I like in one package and I would have reviewed it for sure on it's free weekend if not for my opinion on EU vs Disneyverse.

I will say by bringing Revan and Kotor stuff back it's a workable compromise for many of the fans Disney disgruntled, as much as it pains me to say it as someone who read almost every EU book.

I still think the best solution is to branch off the old EU and the Disneyverse and see which one is more popular in theaters. At the very least nerds like me wouldn't hate and compare the glorious E Unitiverse to *grunts in distaste* the Disneyverse and actually help you sell tickets.

I liked Rogue One a great deal, and Solo was the other movie I liked. I saw the first new Episode in theater, the second Disney episode on a TV channel I already had, and haven't even looked for the third one.

Holdo Maneuvor *barf*

Why the F didn't they just strap Jar Jar to a hyperdrive and launch him at that big dumb ship chasing them? He would have accidently blown it up even though he'd screw it up completely by surviving.

The Mandalorian sounds pretty good though, I'ma check that out once it's free to decide.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:15:24 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 27, 2020, 02:14:22 am »

Yeah, Holdo really ruins the tech. An X-Wing has a goddamn hyperdrive*, so why aren't they launching hyperdrive torpedos all the time?

* Let me note that X-wings really shouldn't have a hyperdrive, but it was needed for plot purposes so that Luke could go to Dagobah. So they just hand-wave how he got there, but you have to assume he must have had a hyperdrive.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:17:30 am by Reelya »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 27, 2020, 02:16:02 am »

Yeah, Holdo really ruins the tech. An X-Wing has a goddamn hyperdrive, so why aren't they launching hyperdrive torpedos all the time?

YES SO MUCH

That is literally what I thought during that scene. This dumb, why don't they just make a torpedo that does that?

EDIT: What reason for the X-Wing not having hyperdrive? In the EU lore the Rebel Alliance specifically chose the X-Wing because it had shields, hyperdrive and other goodies. It was ideal for pilot preservation, whereas the unshielded TIE Fighter was faster and more maneuvorable outside of atmosphere at the cost of low pilot survival rate. The TIE series were also much cheaper and designed for mass production. The TIE Interceptor (what Vader is piloting in the very first movie made, though his is tricked out with shields and hyperdrive) is even faster but also does not have shields. The TIE Defender and beyond start mounting shields and whatnot, because by that time the Imperial Remnant values pilot survivability more due to their position almost having swapped with the Rebel Alliance.

It makes sense if it was added so he could go to Dagobah but still pretty well explained in the lore. I can't remember if Z-95 Headhunters had hyperdrive but that was Intek's predecessor the X-Wing irc. I think the Rebel Alliance/New Republic even put a hyperdrive on the A-Wing and that was their budget starfighter up until maybe the Z-wing which was fairly late in the EU, around the time of the yuuzhon Vong.

Speaking of the yuuzhon Vong, initially I didn't like them. However later I picked up the EU books I hadn't read and while initially in my earlier opinion I thought the Vong were dumb, as I finished that period of the timeline and moved on I found I had misjudged it and it's effect on the main characters (notably Jacen Solo) which led to the Galactic Alliance period or what-not in which some excellent authors wrote. I think my initial distaste was because the first time I read that period I only finished up to the point
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then the storyline with Jacen. The EU ended on a bright note at least, with the potential if not liklihood for a bright future. Would have liked to read more about Luke's son hooking up with his girlfriend/antagonist Sith lady, but thems the breaks (in contiunuuity)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:35:36 am by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 27, 2020, 02:25:32 am »

It's especially stupid when you consider the weapon they have at the start of that movie: space bombs. How does space bombs even work? There's no up and down in space. Person releases the space bombs and they fall out. Anyone else notice a problem here. They have gravity-driven space bombs but no missiles.

Also, Jedi Books, paper ones bound with leather. Rian Johnson just doesn't get it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 27, 2020, 02:38:07 am »

It's especially stupid when you consider the weapon they have at the start of that movie: space bombs. How does space bombs even work? There's no up and down in space. Person releases the space bombs and they fall out. Anyone else notice a problem here. They have gravity-driven space bombs but no missiles.

Also, Jedi Books, paper ones bound with leather. Rian Johnson just doesn't get it.

Good catch. I didn't notice that about books but yeah I mean holograms. In the EU Luke finds tech devices storing ancient knowledge because hey the ancient jedi still had spaceships right? Probably had SD card equivalents.

EDIT: Moved edits to new post as I was responding to later posts in this one.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:48:24 am by Duuvian »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 27, 2020, 02:40:25 am »

It's the scene where Poe is taunting the imperials ("first order").

It's also the bit where Rose's sister gets it. She's the space bomb head honcho. Here's a bit to refresh how they work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_hXw6DtmIs

There were "Tie Bombers" in Empire Strikes Back, but I think they fired a glowing kind of thing so you could imagine they were powered weapons. But these Rian Johnson ones literally just poop out, and it assumes space is a flat plane.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:44:34 am by Reelya »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 27, 2020, 02:41:39 am »

It's the scene where Poe is taunting the imperials ("first order").

It's also the bit where Rose's sister gets it. She's the space bomb head honcho.

I can't promise to look it up but if I see it again I'll say hey I remember someone told me about that

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 27, 2020, 02:44:55 am »

Found the bit btw.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 27, 2020, 02:48:28 am »

Moved my edits to this post.

I don't remember that scene about space bombs but I completely believe you that in Disneyverse it makes sense to toss space bombs out the window. Did they at least do like a dive bomb thing where it inherits inertia? Or just drop them out the bottom and they 'fall'?

EDIT: reread that you said it fell out. Agreed, if it can seek like that why not strap a rocket to it? IRC TIE Bombers used some kind of bomb or missile launcher

Looked it up https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/sa_bomber

The ordnance bay was divided into two sections. The forward ordnance bay carried either eight concussion missiles or four proton torpedoes. The main ordnance bay carried either four proton torpedoes and eight concussion missiles, or eight proton bombs and sixty-four thermal detonators, or six orbital mines, or even stormtroopers. Located underneath the ordnance pod was a bomb chute connected to the ship's targeting systems, a T-s7b targeting computer and a 398X bomb sight. The pod also featured a missile port that allowed for front-launching and torpedoes.[2] The ordnance bay could also be swapped for a passenger cabin with room for six.[5]

So I guess there were bombs? Huh. I guess usually the good guys blow them up in the books before they actually do much... I remembered the torpedoes or missiles but not much in the way of bombing other space ships.

The article also pointed out when the Falcon was hidden in an asteroid in the first movie that TIE Bombers were bombing it and I recall that vaguely.

I wouldn't be surprised it the TIE Bombs are glowy, proton Torpedos are.

Maybe they mean bomb as in guided munition rather than unguided sense. Thanks for finding the scene with sister of Rose but I haven't checked it out so can't comment, sounds unguided though unless they mention some kind of tracking or some such in that scene
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:59:55 am by Duuvian »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 27, 2020, 03:00:02 am »

Yeah, the Tie Bomber there fires some kind of glowing thing as far as I remember, but I also think it was in the scene where the Falcon was hiding in the asteroid, so they were bombing the asteroid, so gravity would make sense then. The TLJ one, see edit above for a breakdown of the scene.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 27, 2020, 03:06:18 am »

Would watch honest

Youtube doesn't like my browser

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 27, 2020, 03:12:15 am »

Well to summarize, the space bombers are creeping along, space is almost 2D planar, then when they're directly "over" the enemy ship, the release bay doors, and racks of bombs literally fall out. You actually see this from the inside so it's clear they're not being propelled out, just racks being released and the bombs fall out. This whole thing takes so long that most of them get annihilated for being too slow. It's almost a kamikaze run. And the guy notes: Rian Johnson put Rose Tico's sister in there as POV, i.e. an asian with a Japanese-sounding name, doing a kamikaze bombing run.

To add insult to injury, the bombers had a hyperdrive, and are quite large, so if even one of them did the Holdo manouver they could have destroyed the enemy ship instead of everyone dying. So that's how shit these "bombers" are - they could do more damage by merely ramming the enemy. But the movie would have been much shorter as they'd have obliterated the enemy flagship.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:18:28 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 81