Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Murdercrow and Other Travesties (art thread)  (Read 29553 times)

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
Murdercrow and Other Travesties (art thread)
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:27:04 pm »

I've been posting pictures of my fortress, Murdercrow, on Reddit but I figured I might as well keep them all in one thread here.

Murdercrow is the only dwarven outpost in a region where all dwarven civilizations have fallen. There may be other mountainhomes on other parts of the continent but we have no means of contacting them. Murdercrow will never get any migrants or dwarven caravans. Each starting dwarf is scholar specilising in a branch of dwarven theoretical knowledge: Astronomy, Mathematics, Fluid Engineering, etc. Everyone also knows how to read and write. Unfortunately they've all been too busy studying and forgot to pick up any practical skills like masonry or blacksmithing.

The goal is to survive and build the most awesome library/research centre the world has ever seen. And then maybe engineer a rocketship to get to dwarves on the other side of the planet.

I've been slowly playing and drawing (mostly drawing) the fortress over the past couple of months.

Eci the Brilliant Coast, a forgotten beast who turned up in my cavern during the first summer. He was a friendly lizard and didn't bother anyone so we didn't bother him.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also had two treehugger thieves skulking around in the first summer, Lafo the pikeman and Stasost the swordsman. Lafo managed to get away, Stasost got her brains bashed out with a bronze crossbow.

We've built a temporary underground library/museum and we are getting a steady supply of scholar visitors. Maybe one of the petitioned citizens will adopt this cat one day.

At the start of year 2 Mason/Stonecrafter declared himself king and was promptly issued a suit of steel armour, short sword, and a crown. By the way that's a necromancer tower in the distance and the rampant griffin on the cuirass is the civ symbol.

In the same year king Ezum married the militia commander. So now I have a warrior queen. Left to right: Carpenter/Astronomer, Queen/Swordsman, Armoursmith/Mathematician.

Bronze colossus vs. porcupine man from Legends mode

Cacame Awemedinade the Immortal Onslaught

Bim Silversnarl and Mudung's Monster

Tholtig Cryptbrain the Waning Diamonds

Ambiguity and Might, or Gica Seasonpanther

Mountain titan Ozosm, based on a Reddit post by /u/mislavcro123

Piware, a very pretty towering quadruped composed of snow. It has large mandibles and it undulates rhythmically. Based on a Reddit post by /u/WPLibrar2

Snodub Sposnusmunstu, a great quadruped composed of water. It has wings and it undulates rhythmically. Beware its deadly spittle!

Morul Cattenmat, the Most Interesting Dwarf in the World. You can get the full rez image and see the drawing process on my Patreon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:18:14 pm by Mechlin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Murdercrow and Other Travesties (art thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:27:58 am »

Your art is good. I like arts. d-don't put horns on helmets though
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 05:41:26 am »

Your art is good. I like arts. d-don't put horns on helmets though
It's not horned, it menaces with spikes of yak cow horn. :P

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:56:36 am »

This art is amazingly vibrant! I especially like the king and his golden crown and the Astronomer
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:49 am »

This art is amazingly vibrant! I especially like the king and his golden crown and the Astronomer
I can't decide whether Astronomy is the most un-dwarfy profession ever because you have to look at the sky, or the most dwarfy one because you can eventually build an asteroid mining colony.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

This is fantastic :D Thanks for sharing.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »

This is very good.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »

These are great. Love the art style!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 01:24:19 pm »

I'm glad you like it!

BTW does anyone have a description of a cool mammal-type animal person they have in their game? Like a polar bear man or a tiger man. I've been trying to get one in fortress mode but no luck so far.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 03:04:52 pm »

are these actual paintings or just something made in a program?

Edit: I forgot to mention I love the pictures, just curious on whether they are real or not
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:18:04 pm by deathpunch578 »
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 03:29:14 pm »

Great art, saw some of it on the subreddit.

Don't really have animal people in my forts, my modded races (though some are mammalian) tend to crowd them out.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »

Edit: I forgot to mention I love the pictures, just curious on whether they are real or not
These are drawn in Photoshop. However as someone who can draw/paint in traditional media I wouldn't call it "just made in a program" as I use very similar techniques (like glazing) and it's just as time-consuming as painting on canvas.

Great art, saw some of it on the subreddit.

Don't really have animal people in my forts, my modded races (though some are mammalian) tend to crowd them out.
No problem :) I think I'll just make a backup and check legends mode.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 05:08:33 pm »

I could post some of the visitors/residents I have if you have a thread where you take requests or where people can drop off descriptions of characters that could be fun/challenging to draw - I got around 1 and a half pages of permanent residents and 1 page of visitors gathered up from the 3 years my fort has endured.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »

These are drawn in Photoshop. However as someone who can draw/paint in traditional media I wouldn't call it "just made in a program" as I use very similar techniques (like glazing) and it's just as time-consuming as painting on canvas.
I guess I could have worded that better, also I know using programs can take up as much time as real painting (have a friend that does both) sorry if my message came off as me being rude.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 07:28:39 am »

I could post some of the visitors/residents I have if you have a thread where you take requests or where people can drop off descriptions of characters that could be fun/challenging to draw - I got around 1 and a half pages of permanent residents and 1 page of visitors gathered up from the 3 years my fort has endured.
I'll probably make one when I get through my current queue of things to draw. I had a thread like that for Guild Wars 2 back when it had just been released and it was pretty fun for everyone involved.

I guess I could have worded that better, also I know using programs can take up as much time as real painting (have a friend that does both) sorry if my message came off as me being rude.
No problem, you were not being rude. I was just explaining myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5