Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850874 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #915 on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:28 pm »

Will we every see adventure mode fast travel?
The Crime and Punishment arc will support being captured and taken to a site, with the capability of skipping the boring parts of the journey. The Economy arc will involve boats, which you could probably buy passage on. He's mentioned being hired as a guard to protect merchant caravans, too.

With any luck, we might get magic that teleports us to certain areas. I'm not sure if waypoint portals are going to make it in the first Magic arc, or whether they'd wait for the alternate planes kind to be added.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:44:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #916 on: September 11, 2018, 02:11:17 am »

With the villains update, can we expect already existing criminal deeds (i.e. stealing, snatching) to be updated to work with the new framework? Something like thieves not actually having to leave the site and come back when trying to steal an artifact they’ve spotted in the fort.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 11, 2018, 10:52:12 am »

Mythgen will generate creatures, but modders want the ability to influence this generation (restrict random critters to just varieties of goats, for example keeping everything else "vanilla". Or say, ensuring that only water sphere based critters can develop inate teleportation abilities - because mod lore).
Toady agrees that this and expanding what can be modded overall is a priority.

And he's also producing a fixed world editor for modders with very specific worlds in mind.

I think it was meant to be and (in-game) editor able to edit the myth (and the generated creatures, races, etc.) after the myth generation. Something like you generate the myth and then you just find that there is a race with very silly powers (or any other little detail you could dislike for that matter), and you just delete/change that without generating a whole new myth.

I'm not understandig if the world editor will be able to do that or if it's just an entirely different feature (aimed only at creating tailored worlds from scratch) and editing little details of an already generated myth will only be achievable (if at all) by editing the files.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 11, 2018, 11:13:26 am »

If I understand the editing capability of the world gen editor it will be to edit/restrict the pool of resources it draws from, which means it can use only a specific set or raws, spheres, etc. This would allow you to generate a very specific world with a predetermined myth, but it would also allow you to "guide" the generation to fit within given limitations.

Editing AFTER the fact seems rather unlikely: if you wanted it this way you should have guided world gen to follow that path, not try to modify it afterwards. However, DFHackery can do a lot of things, so it might be possible eventually (but there is a whole mountain of mapping that will have to be done first, as well as determining what controls what, so any editing provides a consistent result.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #919 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:32 am »

Mythgen will generate creatures, but modders want the ability to influence this generation (restrict random critters to just varieties of goats, for example keeping everything else "vanilla". Or say, ensuring that only water sphere based critters can develop inate teleportation abilities - because mod lore).
Toady agrees that this and expanding what can be modded overall is a priority.

And he's also producing a fixed world editor for modders with very specific worlds in mind.

I think it was meant to be and (in-game) editor able to edit the myth (and the generated creatures, races, etc.) after the myth generation. Something like you generate the myth and then you just find that there is a race with very silly powers (or any other little detail you could dislike for that matter), and you just delete/change that without generating a whole new myth.

I'm not understandig if the world editor will be able to do that or if it's just an entirely different feature (aimed only at creating tailored worlds from scratch) and editing little details of an already generated myth will only be achievable (if at all) by editing the files.

The final extent of them is unclear, but we saw mythgen raws in one of the GDC talks (this one, also includes a presentation by Tanya Short about Moon Hunter) so at least they will exist in some way. Considering the prototype myth raws included the options of adding arbitrary objects (cosmic objects) and restricting objects to only appear on certain fantasy levels, we should be able to expect at least that.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:53 am »

So, word says that you personally look up atleast the OP of every suggestion thread
What are the types of suggestions threads that are the most useful/interesting to you toady? Those that explain in detail a certain subject and how could it be implemented in DF? Lists of features that use unexpected mechanics and original ideas?

I myself want to write some up, but sometimes I feel like what I write (or see in the suggestion's thread, for that regard) could be done quite better before being posted, as a big load are just iterations of magic stuff brainstorms. So it would be great to know what type of information you value the most

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:20 pm »

So, word says that you personally look up atleast the OP of every suggestion thread
What are the types of suggestions threads that are the most useful/interesting to you toady? Those that explain in detail a certain subject and how could it be implemented in DF? Lists of features that use unexpected mechanics and original ideas?

He writes the ones he likes inside a folder i think i remember him saying as a source of inspiration for later if not exact transcriptions, so if he likes it it's filed away neat and pretty when he gets to it or it takes the brother's fancy (such as the raiding/hill dwarf arc)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 13, 2018, 01:59:22 pm »

I know he does that
But I'm really interested in hearing what helps him the most from a suggestion thread, and which one inspire/are the most interesting to him
I know he's received help from the fans before, and even if I'm not going to measure the density of a kind of wood, I'd like to make a worthy suggestion thread sometime

Orangefriedegg

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Shookith
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 13, 2018, 06:24:30 pm »

Will you at some point change the game so animals other than wolves be domesticated over the worlds history? Such as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwjS_eI-lQ
Yes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 13, 2018, 10:20:03 pm »

Will you at some point change the game so animals other than wolves be domesticated over the worlds history? Such as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwjS_eI-lQ
Can you at least give us a hint of what you mean without having to watch a video? Cats are decended from wolves?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #925 on: September 15, 2018, 10:09:58 pm »

Civilizations can already domesticate creatures during worldgen, and possibly during background-world-running. "Urist McKing descended to the caverns and tamed dralthas," or something like that, shows up in the Events tab of Legends. They don't form a new subtype as they are domesticated, as happens in real life. (Evolution isn't implemented yet, if it's even planned to be added.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 17, 2018, 03:39:18 am »

Questions based on the latest (at the time of this writing) dev log:
I hope the added relationship versions make it into fortress mode. Will we see children born out of wedlock and have the possibility of getting remarriages there (as well as spouses cheating on each other with lover(s) on the side)?
And: Is the age difference limitation for marriage lifted/modified in the process? (Sorry for a question that's very close to a suggestion).
And, even worse suggestiony: Is the rampant hist fig incest addressed in this process?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 17, 2018, 03:55:42 am »

And, even worse suggestiony: Is the rampant hist fig incest addressed in this process?[/color]

Game of Artifact Microline Thrones, narrated by George R. R. Martin hence all the horrific deaths.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 17, 2018, 07:36:56 am »

I wish there were an easy way to get narration like the stories Toady tells of his worlds.  I am sure that I could parse it out, but it never seems to click.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 17, 2018, 07:46:31 am »

I wish there were an easy way to get narration like the stories Toady tells of his worlds.  I am sure that I could parse it out, but it never seems to click.
What are you using to browse your Legends?  Just the in-game Legends Mode?

That's hard, but if you look for something specific (like Toady did, searching for someone who remarried) you can usually find a good thread. Legends Viewer interface makes it pretty easy to get lost though. I find it works best combined with an external viewer like Legends Viewer.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 389