Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851224 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2205 on: July 12, 2019, 02:44:54 pm »

It would be hilarious if a mortal npc attempted to flirt with the undead, only to realize their mistake too late, or the undead got outed because someone tried to grab their hand and realized they're dead cold
Or, even funnier, the undead is so good at keeping up the facade that the two court, get married, and spend several years together before the mortal figures it out.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2206 on: July 12, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »

Yay petting animals! We can now has thread on 'what kind of creatures have you petted' to serve as a palate cleanser the inevitable torture thread. :3
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 12, 2019, 06:42:56 pm »

Challenge: how many giant gators can you pat before losing a bodypart?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:21 pm »

It would be hilarious if a mortal npc attempted to flirt with the undead, only to realize their mistake too late, or the undead got outed because someone tried to grab their hand and realized they're dead cold
Or, even funnier, the undead is so good at keeping up the facade that the two court, get married, and spend several years together before the mortal figures it out.
And thus "Weekend at Urist's" started

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 13, 2019, 09:03:35 am »

How exactly does a historical figure choose to divorce their spouse in worldgen? Is it based on their current relationship 'status', civilization ethics, general personality, or something else entirely? Are all divorces now 'mutual' in the sense that both parties wish to end the relationship, or is it possible for only one partner to end the marriage?

Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: July 13, 2019, 01:06:30 pm »

Unless you're a elf, which case you can pat wild [NATURAL] animals regardless because they don't draw up aggression from them, after some snout nuzzling, stroking or patting jumping straight onto their backs i don't know whether that'd count.

Will we be able to form relationships with our animals in adventure mode or are they always serventile for the adventurer mode editor?

For mainly concerns about accidentally escalating combat with your animals accidental or otherwise, maybe with unrelated wild animals like i mentioned above with elves welcoming enough to let us get close.

Zombies are kind of finnicky about those things, they need to be put down if they end up on the wrong side of combat because of the nature that they are mindless but obliging. Accidentally enraging your pet undead dragon in the future releases context doesn't sound like a smart move but might easily be done without a way to calm them down again.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 13, 2019, 01:41:16 pm »

Unless you're a elf, which case you can pat wild [NATURAL] animals regardless because they don't draw up aggression from them, after some snout nuzzling, stroking or patting jumping straight onto their backs i don't know whether that'd count.

Will we be able to form relationships with our animals in adventure mode or are they always serventile for the adventurer mode editor?

For mainly concerns about accidentally escalating combat with your animals accidental or otherwise, maybe with unrelated wild animals like i mentioned above with elves welcoming enough to let us get close.

Zombies are kind of finnicky about those things, they need to be put down if they end up on the wrong side of combat because of the nature that they are mindless but obliging. Accidentally enraging your pet undead dragon in the future releases context doesn't sound like a smart move but might easily be done without a way to calm them down again.

This is also relevant to me. I created "familiars" for my wizards, they're intelligent, and the wizards relationship with their familiar is important i.e. it would be a disaster if they got into a no-yield fight. Or if that bug about starting a fight again immediately after agreeing to end one isn't fixed.

On a related note, can intelligent creatures be used as mounts if they have the tags and are, like, amiable towards the person mounting them? I.e. my familiar has a transformation into a mountable form, retaining their intelligence. Will the game balk at my silliness?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: July 14, 2019, 05:27:26 pm »

Will linux version of df be available on stream?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2213 on: July 15, 2019, 05:44:45 am »

Will linux version of df be available on stream?
This has been asked before and the answer up till now is 'no idea'.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: July 16, 2019, 08:49:15 am »

How exactly does a historical figure choose to divorce their spouse in worldgen? Is it based on their current relationship 'status', civilization ethics, general personality, or something else entirely? Are all divorces now 'mutual' in the sense that both parties wish to end the relationship, or is it possible for only one partner to end the marriage?

Mostly from the kind of simulations run they have some positive attribute connectivity else they would have never managed to progress their relationship to such a level by marrying each other by their own will, detract from abstract subjective things like beauty, power/wealth of either party being desired or political and/or arranged marriages (ilkot soapeater comes to mind) which might come later with the entanglement of the law arc.

Marrying a Dwarf and a Human together for instance by force (alternatively dfhacking relationship status) by hand shaking of bigger political players doesn't make for a happy couple with different views (some of them racial or variable) or psychological effects that have happened afterwards like a reflective personality change. Attribute and attitude changes in the face of losing a child for instance, may end up tearing a dwarven marriage apart in theory but i can't speak for toady's implementation.

Half dwarves won't be here for a long time, but in such a circumstance the child will currently be whatever race the mother is and list the father correctly & take the culture of wherever they're born. You can cheat human populations into your fortress this way by editing DFhack values to find lonely human female ex-long term residents some suitable dwarven suitors they are already friends with rather than wait half a lifetime to have another suitable human visit.

zakarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 17, 2019, 07:20:45 am »

With the upcoming "interrogations" to deal with villainous plots, will the player and the AI:

1) Be able to interrogate or "test" (such as a cut to see if it bleeds or even touch to see if its warm) prisoners they suspect of being vampires/undead? In the past you mention the intelligent undead could be captured and if freed, they'd carry on living as normal but they would eventually flee when people start noticing they don't age.
2) If 1 turns out to be true, will civs finally get a way of getting rid of the undead/vampires, such as burning them at the stake? AFAIK the only thing that happens now is that people get suspicious and they flee, but that's it.
3) Since assassinations can happen in player-led forts and since capture and interrogation of agents will be a thing, will we be possible to capture unconscious enemies? Think of an assassination that goes bad: the assassin turns into an invader, the alarm is sound, a military squad would rush and get to the assassin. Right now they would chop them to pieces, but I imagine what we are aiming at is at having him disabled and captured.
4) If 3 is true, will we be able to capture disabled soldiers of invading forces (such as goblins)? Any plans for that (interrogations, etc) if that's the case?
5) Finally, still related to 3, will there be an "alarm" system now? What I mean is, if the assassin succeeds in killing his target but doesn't sneak fast enough, someone discovers the body. The player will be alerted, like when dwarfs are found drained out of blood, but will the dwarfs try and find some authority to tell it, which can then try and find the culprit, or it will all be left for the player?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: July 17, 2019, 08:11:59 am »

Will the Steam version come with any sort of in-game tutorial? Just asking since I know that's something a lot of people have wanted out of DF ever since its inception, and a commercial release just seems to me like a good occasion to finally implement one. Maybe you're still undecided either way at this point, which is fine.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: July 17, 2019, 08:20:18 am »

Will the Steam version come with any sort of in-game tutorial? Just asking since I know that's something a lot of people have wanted out of DF ever since its inception, and a commercial release just seems to me like a good occasion to finally implement one. Maybe you're still undecided either way at this point, which is fine.

From a pcgamer article around when the steam release was announced:

Quote from: Tarn
Should we do tips and tutorials and that kind of thing? Seems like a solid thing. It's difficult to make a good tutorial, but making a tutorial in Dwarf Fortress, just having things that pop up, conditions that can be met, that's the kind of thing that I can code up very quickly, and could be written for something like mining without taking months.

At the same time, considering the issues on what can go wrong in a tutorial, if you're just doing the mining tutorial but you're doing it in a live fortress environment ... you have a dwarf, and you want him to have a pick and go dig. They'll do it, but how many ways can a dwarf lose a pick, right? If both their arms broke in an accident, like a tree fell on them because you'd just had a carpenter go out and chop down a tree, and then the tutorial is trying to tell you 'why don't you dig?'

We've got to detect what's going on, and there's a lot of ways a tutorial can go wrong. I think we're in a position that's a little more complicated than the average game in terms of even basic tutorials working. At the same time it's kind of a fun challenge to make a mining health detector. Then you start thinking, that's something that should be in the regular game, anyway: 'Why isn't this job being done?' Now we add in a 'why isn't this job being done' functionality, and that ties into how tutorials can be repaired.

Then the tutorial repair code can be like 'You know, we're giving you a one-time limb repair, your dwarf happens to have no arms for whatever reason, we're not going to judge you, we'll give you those arms back, let's finish the tutorial together.'

It'd be something that once we think about and plan it through, we can get quite a bit on the basic parts of the game. Like, the beekeeping tutorial is probably a little out of scope. But that's where Steam Achievements come in.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 17, 2019, 08:38:03 am »

Got it. Thanks a lot. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 17, 2019, 11:41:39 am »

:
4) If 3 is true, will we be able to capture disabled soldiers of invading forces (such as goblins)? Any plans for that (interrogations, etc)
:

We already have means to capture enemies (cage traps), so the question really becomes two:
a) Will we get fortress (and adventurer) means to subdue enemies for capture as an alternative to attack to kill?
Apart from capture for interrogation, such an option might allow you to capture tantrumers for expulsion (or performance troupe enemy civ effective spies for interrogation).
b) Will interrogation of captured enemies have a chance to provide any information that can be acted on?
(Such as e.g. something that provides us with an assassination target or other information that might be used in the conflict). Most of the time I'd expect you won't get anything beyond their civ and the settlement they assembled in, plus the name of their [usually completely expendable] leader of the attack if you'd be able to interrogate them, though. Grunts simply aren't told much.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:43:51 am by PatrikLundell »
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 389