Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851753 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3450 on: August 27, 2020, 01:07:28 pm »

This has probably already been asked, but will we be able to transfer saves from the current version to Steam and vice versa?
Lime Green text for Toady ;)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: August 27, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »

This has probably already been asked, but will we be able to transfer saves from the current version to Steam and vice versa?

The convention here is to mark questions to Toady in lime green. I'll do it for you here:

I believe the last answer to this was that he didn't know. He's done an amazing job keeping compatibility in the past, but he's talking about some substantial changes in how tilesets are stored, for instance, so I won't be surprised either way.
Team Bug Fix!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: August 28, 2020, 01:23:51 am »

Building on clinodev's answer:
Forwards compatibility is up in the air, as clinodev said. DF does not support transfer from a newer version to an older one.

However, if your question is whether the Premium version will be compatible with the Classic version of the same release, the answer is yes. That's an explicit goal, allowing e.g. generation fortresses to be shared between users using a mixture of Premium and Classic, as well as allowing forumites examining bugged saves to do so regardless of which variant the save was generated with.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: August 28, 2020, 02:17:49 am »

Toady has said that the only difference between the Steam EXE and the classic EXE will be steam integration, nothing else.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #3454 on: August 28, 2020, 03:34:04 pm »

Toady has said that the only difference between the Steam EXE and the classic EXE will be steam integration, nothing else.
the current devpost would appear to indicate this is no longer strictly the case.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: August 28, 2020, 03:50:47 pm »

the current devpost would appear to indicate this is no longer strictly the case.
You mean the guts? That's just a difference between using a graphics set and using an ascii-like set. Both of which are options in the Steam version. Both of which will be options in Classic (once modders have made their own sets).

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: August 29, 2020, 10:29:54 am »

1. Will the graphical equipment and goods selection screen also be used when selecting our starting gear in adventure mode in addition to being used in fortress mode?
2. Will the fast travel screen in adventure mode also have a graphical mini map version?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: August 29, 2020, 10:45:38 am »

For the steam/itch release, will there be support for playing different music depending on the situation? Like changing song during a siege, breaching HFS, traveling, exploring, combat in adventure mode?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: August 29, 2020, 11:34:50 am »

Will you post a cute picture of Scamps?
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: August 29, 2020, 03:37:13 pm »

How does the differences in trailing gut behaviour between tileset and ASCII modes affect save compatibility?

IIRC, you can currently smash trailing guts with a drawbridge. Would they disappear in tileset mode if you smashed them in ASCII mode?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: August 29, 2020, 06:48:29 pm »

How many more things need to be done before dwarf fortress can be released on steam?

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: August 30, 2020, 05:12:14 am »

Will there be a new font for Steam version of the game? I find the existing one not blending well with the UI.
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: August 30, 2020, 07:44:11 am »

How many more things need to be done before dwarf fortress can be released on steam?
A lot more than there's time for. As far as I understand, there's a contractual obligation to release it before a deadline (approaching fast, at a rate of one day per day), with Toady having made the unusual move of mentioning a release before the end of the year, and a huge table filled with stuff that ought to be done. The result will be the usual for DF (and SW in general): as the time runs out things will have to be cut at an accelerating pace.
Things to do:
- Tile sets and support for it (multiple grids, etc.). The initial phase is done, but the artists will have their hands full, and I'd expect Toady to have to make adjustments as issues are encountered (and display of clothing hasn't been shown, so it may or may not be in progress).
- UI revamp (current main focus).
- UI issues to make things more logical, with ties to the top layer of underlying functionality (key remapping, mouse support, plus underlying stuff where stockpiles and the army screen has been mentioned, but there is a large queue of candidates behind these two).
- Newbie friendliness efforts.
- Tutorial
- Bug fixes (crash bugs, such as the elusive equipment corruption that keeps popping up every time it's been addressed, and less serious but equally newbie killing ones).
- Stress and needs balancing.
- Closed beta play testing.
- Vendor platform integration (not sure if Steam is the only one, or if Itch.io has some things as well).
- Other things that need to go in as well...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: August 30, 2020, 04:27:51 pm »

You keep mentioning this fixed unmovable deadline Patrik, but you're the only one who seems to know about it (publicly). Not saying that Kitfox don't have a definite date after which they're going to throw away their investment, but it seems unlikely that they're not able to be flexible considering work and PR is ongoing.

Oreos

• Bay Watcher
  • Adventure Mode Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: August 31, 2020, 12:52:55 am »

Hey Toady I've seen some mentions of alternative "Planes/Universes" in the questions and I had a couple questions about them too, along with Gods, Divinity, and Magic.

1.Could it be possible to "Destroy" an entire Plane?

2.Will Gods have a chance being able to physically enter and interact/alter a plane, as a Living God/Avatar. Or Potentially Create a Entirely New Plane?

3. Is there a Chance of a Plane where Gods Reside? such as Mt. Olympus in Greek Mythology. Where Gods will Exist as Physical Beings and interact with each other? Potentially effecting the Mortal Plane?

4.If So Will Gods have a chance being able to physically enter and interact/alter a plane, as a Living God/Avatar. Or Potentially Create a Entirely New Plane?

5.will it be possible for a Mortal Creature to Ascend to Divinity?
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 389