Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress 3  (Read 66589 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress 3
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

Last Thread

The old thread was getting a little sluggish for me, so we have yet another renewal.

Here's the plan as it stands from dev_next:

Next Release: Mostly background information that won't impact play. Actual generations of historical figures will be produced during world generation, which will lead to lines of rulers and family histories for any individuals, and as populations increase, civilizations will spread through the world map. No wars in world generation. Introduction of some basic religions to each culture, but nothing much there either. First DF Mac port release, if KQ is more or less sorted by then.

Release 2: Wars will be fought in world generation, laying the foundation for wars in regular play. This should include larger historical events which can encompass smaller ones, such as a war which is made up in part of several battles, which can in turn be contain specific death events. Cities and entire civilizations can be wiped out during world generation. Core47 will come up (cleaning excess historical figures).

Release 3: Wars between civilizations, life cycle actions like birth/old age deaths and ruler succession throughout the world will occur during regular play involving fleshed-out units rather than simple historical figures. Battles can occur while an adventurer is present, even if the adventurer can't explicitly take sides. This will finish off Core45 and Core46.

Release 4: Armies that are generated during sieges in dwarf mode will be replaced by actual armies from the relevant civilizations. Core26.

I'm also definitely doing some bug fix releases in between each of these, as I mentioned there.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress 3
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »

Do you have a rough timeline to the next release?  Days away?  Weeks?  Months?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

It'll be done when it's done, and it'll be damn good and we'll all have grand celebrations to honor it.

It's a nice rule of thumb to have, thanks Toady.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

I don't have a timeline.  But it's not like before when that meant nine months.  I'm almost down to bugs + Mac now, so maybe a week or two.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:27:00 am »

How detailed will the historically generated wars be?   Will there be famous battlefields/legends of Heroes/Villains, and famous weapons used by them?   Or is that all further off?

caeono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:36:00 am »

Wow, I can't believe all this is so close! It seems like the core goal of DF -- to create a living, breathing, single-player world -- is in the foreseeable future. Really, spectacular news, Toady. Keep the updates coming, please!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

Toady=awesome

Any idea what you will work on next after the army arc? when we finally have a goal again whit the invasions and the forts can have more impact on the word it is time to give adventurer mode some attention?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

quote:
How detailed will the historically generated wars be? Will there be famous battlefields/legends of Heroes/Villains, and famous weapons used by them? Or is that all further off?

If this update is any indication, I'm going to be caught up in all sorts of wholesome minutiae.  I'm a little hesitant to add famous weapons for the same reason I didn't add religious relics this time around, which is that I don't really have adequate tracking for items in yet (although artifacts are better than regular objects in this regard).  That comes with the Caravan Arc.

quote:
Any idea what you will work on next after the army arc? when we finally have a goal again whit the invasions and the forts can have more impact on the word it is time to give adventurer mode some attention?

We don't know yet.  The dev landscape will look quite different when armies are done, so I wouldn't want to pin myself to anything.  Some adventure mode improvements would be fun for me, but getting to burrows and some other fortress mode enhancements might come up, the Caravan Arc really should be done even before the Army Arc (though I'm not going to switch gears now), and I'll need to jump over to the Presentation Arc in a desperate attempt to build a larger audience if I start hemorrhaging money.  The end of the Army Arc is too far away now to tell what's going to happen.  It's not as if adventure mode doesn't get attention though.  It has gotten a lot more than dwarf mode for the version I'm working on, though it's mostly cosmetic.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:51:00 am »

quote:
#  01/25/2008: The minimap is useful. It doesn't take you directly to caves yet, but it gets you within a 48x48, which is good enough for now. It can get you exactly on top of any building you find or are told about in a town. There's also a little list of nearby sites and a compass direction, with quest sites always appearing. It's still sort of unformed, but an improvement over nothing. I managed to run off to a quest cave and get killed by a giant cave spider anyway.

* cleaned up some broken temple maps
   * added discovery flags to abstract buildings and recorded site entrance locations
   * added adv mode minimap for viewing nearby sites and site locations
   * allowed player to join temple entity
   * allowed non-leaders to give suggestions for service locations based on their memberships
   * allowed viewing of structure histories in legends screen

We can join up with religious groups in temples? Fantastic! Sounds like Adventure mode is becoming increasingly fleshed out.  :D

(And am very glad to hear of the improved minimap. Questing is very aggravating as of now.)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

quote:
I managed to run off to a quest cave and get killed by a giant cave spider anyway.
DO YOU HEAR THIS?! EVEN TOADY HIMSELF!  :eek:

And its awesome whit the work on AM!
Now if we only could mine, build, and use workshops... It needn't be more fleshed out for now, if you build on a non site tile it might disappear, but so does fire damage.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

Are you planning on adding roads between towns any time soon? It would really improve adventure mode, and seems to fit in well with the adventure mode, since armies and migrants are moving all about!

Might I suggest, when roads go in, having farms and such placed along the roads, getting less dense as you get away from cities and towns? Also probably inns dotted every once in a while along the way would be cool too. It would go a long way to make thing feel more realistic, having farms spread out all over, and places for travelers to rest, I think.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

With the introduction of armies... will we be able to retire a successful fortress without abandoning it, so our civs continue to have a lasting impact on the world?
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Yes, we need that.

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

And do you adventure's get a family now? Like a father, grandfather great grandfater etc
BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Doler 12:
<STRONG>And do you adventure's get a family now? Like a father, grandfather great grandfater etc</STRONG>

That would be awesome. And when you retire, after some years your adventures is married, got children, is now a royal guard, etc... And then maybe you could play as these children?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69