Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 95071 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the Selicate Empire is said to be a blend of Russia and Portugal, so slavic/iberian names would be common in Salvios. I've been using Malay as the 'native' language, so malaysian names are also good. The important thing is to avoid english/germanic names, since those are the domain of Abbera.
Long Live United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Well, name edited.

Thank you behindthename random generator
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I used a nepali last name for Alexei because his quirk is... well, being a goddamn gurkha :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year 1911 AC (After Colonization) Hot Season, Revision Phase

Proposal: SMG-12
Sub-Machine Gun 12: An innovative and relatively advanced design, the SMG-12 is a novel take on the concept of a machine gun. Using a 10mm pistol calibre round in stead of a full-sized round of a machinegun, the SMG-12 stores it's ammo in a straight, 30 round magazine feeding upwards into the chamber. With a barrel which outsizes that of its pistol counterparts, giving it a greater range and stopping power compared to a pistol. The weapon is also padded akin to the Senapang, making the use of the SMG-12 rather comfortable.

Difficulty: Theoretical
Result: 4 (4+3-3) = Poor

Sometimes no matter how skilled you are the best you'll manage is three steps forward, two steps back. While the use of automatic fire isn't necessarily new, it's inclusion in an infantryman's weapon is. Most developed nations are in the process of testing new "Self-Loading Rifles", but Salvios demands innovation, and so we've skipped to the next logical step.

The Sub-Machine Gun 1912 fires 10mm pistol (something else we have yet to develop)  rounds in a 30-round box magazine feeding into the bottom of the weapon. Unfortunately, due to our lack of experience with any sort of middle ground between a bolt-action rifle and a Gatling Gun, and manpower being diverted to other projects (see below), we had to rely on using a firing method we're familiar with.

The SMG-12 is operated by depressing the trigger and rotating a crank mounted on top of the weapon. This rotates the trio of internal firing chambers fed by the magazine's mostly-reliable springs forcing rounds into empty chambers. As a result of this design the weapon is meant to be "fired from the hip", with the butt of the weapon designed to brace against the bicep.

Unfortunately, while the design works, there are quite a few complications. While the SMG-12 can clear it's magazine as rapidly as the operator can turn the crank, rounds often fail to load into a chamber. The disappointing "click" of the SMG-12 trying to discharge an empty chamber, occasionally multiple times in a row, has led to it's informal nickname "The Stuttergun". The weapon is highly inaccurate, in no small part to the inability to use iron sights. Ever the creative people, some of our infantrymen have coined the term "spray and pray" in reference to the inability to consistently put shots near targets further than 25 meters away. The SMG-12 is shorter than the Senapang at 80 cm, but thanks to the bulky internal components weighs in at 4.5 kg. It's far from perfect, but the SMG-12 provides us with a solid foundation to work off of.

The padding is immaculate.

Costs 2 Wood and 4 Ore, making it (EXPENSIVE).

----------------

Proposal: LGG-12
LGG-12
The Light(er) Gatling Gun is a version of the Gavrillium Gatling Gun that makes use of no Gavrillium gunpowder. The only remaining piece of Gavrillium tech is the motor. Using normal rounds slows the barrel heating, allowing us to run MUCH higher rates of fire, especially when using an optional (And heavy) water-based cooling system that surrounds the entire firing system (including the motor) in a jacket, fills the jacket with water, and uses a couple simple electric propeller-type things to circulate the water around the jacket. This keeps the motor warm(er) and the barrels cool(er) and allows for incredible sustained-fire rates, at the penalty of the jacket being limited to emplacement and warship usage due to weight. The water jacket can also be used on the GGG-12, because the shape doesn't change between the LGG and GGG.

Difficulty: Easy
Result: 11 (6+4+1) = Masterwork

By using rounds with "normal" loads not only is it possible to utilize extreme rates of fire, but we can do so for much, much longer. The LGG-12 can fire up to 1200 rounds per minute, with a max effective range of 1500 meters due to the replacement of the GavPowder with a cordite mixture. A massive reduction in weight was possible thanks to removing the GavPowder (and therefore the need for thicker chamber walls and barrels), making it possible for the crew to be reduced to three men - one to transport the body of the weapon, the barrel, and the ammunition - though the fourth crewman remains as back-up with a Senapang rifle. While we did develop a water jacket for the LGG-12, it becomes unnecessary the longer the weapon is fired as the heat sinks managed the barrels overheating through use of the GavMotor's cooling properties. LGG-12 crews will often start at a lower RoF to "cool up" (as opposed to "warm up") the engine after installing new rods, increasing rotation speed of the motor as time goes on.

The LGG-12 also has an artillery carriage it can be deployed with to allow rapid traversal of the whole weapon on the battlefield without the need to disassemble it.

Due to the lightening of the gun and removal of GavPowder, the LGG-12 variant has a cost of 4 Ore and 2 Gavrilium, making it (EXPENSIVE).

----------------

Proposal: GA1B
GA1B Cannon: Fixing barrel warping of the cannon is a vital fix in allowing our artillery to hit it's full potential. By modifying the barrel shape (such as by introducing fluting) and using a slightly tweaked alloy, the heat tolerance and dispersion can be increased. More importantly, the formulation of the Gavpowder is improved by introducing small amounts of certain chemicals, which slow the reaction and reduce heat generation, resulting in an equally powerful, but cooler and more controlled propellant. It may also be possible that the smoother burn results in an increased shell velocity and hence range, though this is not a priority.
Another potential bonus involves other applications of Gavpowder (ie the GGG-12), which may be able to sustain a higher rate of fire as well, though again, this is not a priority.

Difficulty: Normal
Result: 9 (5+4+0) = Above Average

We did everything right, but we still hit one snag. While we can fire five rounds per minute without pause thanks in part to barrel fluting and casting the pieces using a manganese-steel alloy, our attempts to modify the GavPowder went...unexpectedly. While we are capable of creating a formula that burns evenly and rapidly while remaining controlled, we hit a bottleneck with supplies in regards to the Chemical Compounds needed to alter the Gavpowder Mixture. Our rounds can now accurately fire up to ten kilometers, but until we have facilities dedicated to producing Chemical Compounds, we will need to use the GA1 a majority of the time.

The GA1B costs 4 Ore, 2 Gavrilium, and 1 Chemical Compounds, making it (VERY EXPENSIVE), but the need for a Specialty Resource we don't have production of makes it [complex]. However, we have discovered the resource Chemical Compounds and can begin assigning it to resource nodes beginning in the strategy phase.

GM Note: There are two processes to discovering new Resources: creating them in a design and stumbling on them accidentally. I made a number of resources to be discovered beforehand. While initially discovering a new resource, the design will usually end up with a large generic resource cost as well as a [very complex] tag to represent both not having the specialty resource as well as not knowing what it is and needing to filter through a lot of stuff to get trace amounts of what you need. If any further work is done on the design the resource will be identified and you'll be able to begin assigning it to nodes in the Strategy Phase. Discovering the resource does not add difficulty to the revision, and does not need to be specified as a part of the revision - it happens regardless of what goes on with both the proposal and the roll itself. The design will still be [complex] until you actually have a supply of the necessary resource, but it will no longer be [very complex] and the cost will change to reflect having knowledge of and access to the proper resources. However on a successful roll like this one the discovery of the resource might also be tacked on. Note that once you begin producing any amount of a resource, whether or not it meets the design's needs, the [complex] tag is removed.

----------------

With successes and innovations around every corner, the Merchant Lords have seen fit to allow the Engineers of Salvios the power to oversee a majority of the war effort. It is now the Strategy Phase, where your team will wind up voting on what two sectors to attack, what sector to fortify, and where to assign resources. Each turn from now on will have a Strategy Phase where most of those things will be voted for. You will not be selecting where to attack until contact with the Abberans is made.

So for now, vote on one resource to assign to a sector (Lowlands being the only option at the moment, so you're only voting on resource), and vote on one sector to fortify (Lowlands is the only option still, but you can decide not to fortify for some reason I guess?). Any resources assigned will also modify the costs of equipment before combat, though the Strategy Phase summary and Combat Report will be lumped together.

Also, after dispersing rioters in the capital after it was discovered that both discovered elements we thought were unique to us are also being used by the Abberans, manpower and resources are to be dedicated to discovering a new material to give us an edge over our enemies. You have been granted a Resource Design Credit to be used by the end of next Design Phase, but you can begin discussing it now. You can also continue to vote on a war hero in the Strategy Phase this turn.

Our forces prepare to move onto the Desert and Plateaus soon to root out any potential pro-Selicate militants. You will be notified of the outcome.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably worth having the chemical compounds as the resource, or ore
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, for now, the one thing we definitely need more of is Ore. It remains to be seen which special resources end up in high demand- although we probably want to have one of each before the war begins, so as to avoid the [Complex] tags. But we'll certainly want more Ore, so let's start with that.

I think I'm going to write a hero combining features of the existing proposals.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or we can just go and use regular smokeless powder rather than trying to continue with gavpowder. Really, gavpower's just going to be useful for direct fire weapons given the force it can fire off with.

Though we really need a proper LMG and to fix the SMG (Thank goodness we did that early, though). I'll agree with grabbing more ore though, since above all else we will need it.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what resource we plan to design?
Myomer?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

I’m fine with Myomer.
Though I don’t care much for power armor. What I want is legged behemoths!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

I’m fine with Myomer.
Though I don’t care much for power armor. What I want is legged behemoths!

Mechs, walkers, stuff like that has issues with ground pressure right? Well, we do have that anti-grav material now (even if we don't exactly have any quantities of it yet)... Could always make sure to include a bit into the things, not enough to fly of course, but enough to solve that issue.

And yeah, I'm fine with Myomer as well.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Resource Credit:
Myomer (4): Rockeater, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, Taricus

Resource Assignment (Lowlands):
Ore (2): Nuke, Taricus

Hero:
[url=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171505.msg7822417#msg7822417]Alexei Raju
(1): Taricus
Vitali Volkov (0):
Emilio Antares (0)

Uniform Changes (If Allowed):
Replace Helmet with a Stalhelm Design (1): Taricus

Two questions, namely on how many resources do we get from assigning a point to the lowlands, and are we able to make minor changes to the uniform at this point?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so, basically combining Twinwolf and Taricus's suggestions:

Sergeant Antero Sahay
In Salvios' Highlands, the native Usha peoples of the region are renown for being near fearless and excellent warriors. In the times of the Selicate empire, these warriors were hired by the merchant lords to serve as the city's security and defence forces, cementing their reputation as fearless and superb soldiers many times over in their service. In the times of Salvios' independence, the Usha soldiers that once protected Salvios are now the elite of it's army, the merchant lords donating their service to that of the newborn nation.
Whilst the Usha people were once a primitive tribal society, times have changed, and especially the warrior class has come to embrace technology as a way of enhancing their strength.

For none is this more true than Sergeant Antero Sahay. Born in the mountains to an Usha father and Salviosi mother, he grew up in a small town, receiving a mixed education- one part traditional Usha from his neighbours, one part Salviosi from the private school his mother sent him to. He proved an adept warrior and hunter, winning shooting competitions at a young age, and whilst he did not excel at all aspects of his more "civilised" education, his interest in science and technology was intense.

On coming of age, his family sent him to the city to further his education. He was sponsored by one of the Merchant Lords, and completed a three-year course in engineering, whereafter he joined the personal guard of his sponsor as per their agreement. Deployed in anti-piracy operations, he proved that his martial prowess had not been dulled by years of book-learning, earning the respect of his fellow mercenaries, and the fear of pirates everywhere. Even after his contract was completed, he remained in the merchant's service, finding it a fitting use of his talents.

When the Selicate garrison retreated from Salvios, and the various mercenary companies were merged into the new professional army, Antero was given the rank of sergeant. He assisted in the training of new recruits, in what was for a few years a fairly routine job. Two things changed his life forever: the attack on Salvios by Selicate saboteurs, and the introduction of the Senapang rifle.
The attack, and subsequent efforts to root out the rebels, gave Antero the opportunity to prove his skills once more, demonstrating extraordinary braveness in leading the charge on a rebel command post, as well as competent leadership of those soldiers under him. But really, Antero secretly considered the attack a blessing, for they gave him a chance to actually use the Senapang in live combat. The elegance of the weapon spoke to him, demonstrating that his faith in Salvios was not misplaced- this was the place to be for lovers of high-quality military hardware.

Introduction of the Gavrilium Engine and the news of new elements being discovered have only heightened his burning desire to get to use whatever new toys the engineering team can come up with.
The engineers in question have been somewhat bemused to receive fanmail, especially considering said fanmail contains an extensive wishlist.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You get one resource when you assign it to one of the three nodes in a sector. Each sector other than your capital is allowed to produce three resources of any combination. As for the helmet, since a quick check shows that a decision in regards to helmet design wasn't necessarily reached, I'd allow another vote option for helmet design.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I'm all for finding lighter than air gasses.  I'd've just gone Helium, but I also would like to get into trying to weaponize Carbon Monoxide and other natural gasses.  As for resources... yeah, everything uses Ore.  I'd like to throw some chemical compounds and Gravite in, but later.  We use Ore for everything.

Lastly, for the heroes, well, I'd rather read about someone who survives by dint of the gear we give 'em, rather'n someone awesome, who'd be able to be okay either way.  I just want a vehicle to showcase our stuff.

Resource Credit:
Natural Gasses (1): Yami

Ore (3): Nuke, Taricus, Yami

Hero:
Alexei Raju (1): Taricus
Vitali Volkov (0):
Emilio Antares (1): Yami

Replace Helmet with a Stalhelm Design (1): Taricus
Leave it as is (1): Yami
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:50:54 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Helium?
We do still have Caelium. To spend an action discovering Helium would be a monumental waste of resources. And carbon monoxide is an extraordinarily inefficient way of killing people.

As for our hero, they are, you know, a hero. We have plenty of regular soldiers who will use our equipment in regular ways; what MoP is looking for (if I understand correctly) is an interesting character to provide cool stories.

Resource Credit:
Natural Gasses (1): Yami

Ore (3): Nuke, Taricus, Yami

Hero:
Alexei Raju (1): Taricus
Vitali Volkov (0):
Emilio Antares (1): Yami
Antero Sahay: (1) NUKE9.13