Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 95060 times)

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for the non-combat thing, if we're doing Myomer, let's use Myomer.
But if we're doing Gravite let's not do Gravite?  I mean, it's your vote, do as you will, I'm just saying your reasoning lacks substance considering when the last time we grabbed a resource it was gravite, and we've yet to use it in a design, (armoured car not withstanding, since it's not official yet.)

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Resource Credit:
Myomer (8): Rockeater, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, Taricus, Maximum Spin, FallacyofUrist, Twinwolf, Baffler
Natural Gasses (1): Yami

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (3): FallacyofUrist, Baffler, Taricus
Crash Cart (1): Yami
Kerata Armored Car (0):
ArC-12 'Kerata Armored Car' (0):
ArC-12b 'Kerata Armored Car' (5): Baffler, Parsely, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Twinwolf

Non-Combat Support
SVR-1 (1): Baffler
Gravite Harness (2): Yami, FallacyofUrist
'Mountain' Myomer Lifting Kit (5): Taricus, Parsely, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Changed to the lifting kit. Also noticed I somehow managed to vote for two different infantry support vehicles, so that's fixed now.

Quote from: votebox
Resource Credit:
Myomer (8): Rockeater, Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, Taricus, Maximum Spin, FallacyofUrist, Twinwolf, Baffler
Natural Gasses (1): Yami

Infantry Support Vehicle
MArSA (2): FallacyofUrist, Taricus
Crash Cart (1): Yami
Kerata Armored Car (0):
ArC-12 'Kerata Armored Car' (0):
ArC-12b 'Kerata Armored Car' (5): Baffler, Parsely, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Twinwolf

Non-Combat Support
SVR-1 (0):Gravite Harness (2): Yami, FallacyofUrist
'Mountain' Myomer Lifting Kit (6): Taricus, Parsely, NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, Twinwolf, Baffler
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I prefer the parkour harness to the lifting suit if the two have to be compared directly, but it seems like these two ideas could easily be combined?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Youse got about 80 minutes to hammer things out before I get to rollin'.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for the non-combat thing, if we're doing Myomer, let's use Myomer.
But if we're doing Gravite let's not do Gravite?  I mean, it's your vote, do as you will, I'm just saying your reasoning lacks substance considering when the last time we grabbed a resource it was gravite, and we've yet to use it in a design, (armoured car not withstanding, since it's not official yet.)

We're using Caelium (it's called Caelium now) in the car, as you said. By using Caelium in the car and Myomer in the non-combat thing, we use both.
Long Live United Forenia!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, yes.  I was just nit picking your wording.  Also I refuse to bow to those.. those Abberations.  Why should we let them name something we found on our own, just because they happened't've found it first.  I dare say once we've won this war and wiped them off our island, we'll be able to call it whatever we want and there'll be no one left to stop us.

Also... is it just me, or do ya'll have a thing for placing the engine at the front of your vehicles?  That makes it terrible for ramming things!  I mean, at least a second time.  It's like you only want them used to move things around...  I'm just worried our soldiers will get the wrong idea.  Everything should have a use on the battlefield.  Everything!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:37:22 pm by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another 8 minutes for last minute voting since I lost track of time watching old frankie dayz videos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[This Phase blew my mind.]

Year 1912 AC (After Colonization) Cold Season, Design Phase

Proposal: Myomer
Myomer:
A fibre that has no equal in regards to it's properties, Myomer fibres are effectively hyper-efficient muscles once an electrical current of sufficient power passes through them. A recent discovery that, with war seeming an inevitability, we could possibly use in ways to enhance our forces beyond what anyone has conceived so far.

Result: Our scientists have managed to produce a synthetic fiber with a strength-to-weight ratio much greater than any human muscle. Myomer requires an electrical power source to function, but is non-reliant on other Resources as some had originally feared it may be.

We can now assign Myomer to resource nodes, and 2 Myomer appears at the Capital.

------------

Proposal: ArC-12b "Kerata" Armored Car
ArC-12b 'Kerata Armored Car'
An armored car for general use by a rifle squad, whether in operational travel, tactical frontline patrols, or as a company weapons asset for supporting assaults. The engine compartment contains a powerful Gavrilium engine capable of a blazing fast 72 km/h top speed. Behind that is a fighting compartment which contains a driver, who operates the vehicle from behind an armored viewport they can raise for increased visibility, the gunner, and the assistant gunner who operate a light, hand-rotated turret that mounts an LGG-12 (or any similarly sized weapon) and a simple grenade projector; the projector can be ranged, loaded, and fired from inside the turret and is designed to accept standard hand grenades. The turret has a raised cupola that has armored viewports facing in every direction so it can be used for protected visibility. Behind the fighting compartment is the passenger compartment, enclosed on all sides with a rear exit hatch designed with ease of loading bulky equipment in mind, with seats which fit 4 men on each side and double as storage lockers. The engine compartment, fighting compartment, turret, and passenger compartment are protected by light armor for defending against shrapnel and rifle rounds. The vehicle is equipped with 6 tires (2 front, 4 rear) for off-road travel, an aspect enhanced by the inclusion of a fairly minimalistic set of Caelium plates mounted on the undercarriage. These plates are nowhere near sufficient to properly lift the Kerata, but serve to effectively lighten the armored car, improving performance in areas where high weight is a notable malus; like deserts or swamps, although power to these can be severed if the driver wishes for the full weight and traction of the vehicle. Lugs are on the sides of the vehicle for mounting tools and spare tires in case of emergencies. There are running boards for mounting extra passengers or equipment. It's capable of towing the GA1 cannon and transporting its crew to boost the mobility of our artillery units.

Difficulty: Very Hard
Result: 0 (1+1-2) = Utter Failure

The Kerata (or "Errata" as some of the passengers have begun calling it) was an ambitious project that failed before it could start. Instead of designing a vehicle from the ground up our engineering crews were too focused on toying with ideas for all the new toys and ideas dropped on them, and so they outsourced the construction of the vehicle's basic body to "Guaranteed Motorization" (GM), a civilian company known for producing semi-relable automobiles. Unfortunately some important details were lost somewhere in the mix when they sent finished models of their latest buggy, the "Oldersmobile", instead of modifiable frames. Our engineers have to extend the body of each vehicle as they come and replace the rear seats with benches mounted along the sides for cramming eight passengers in. The conventional four-cylinder engine is replaced with a GavEngine that is slightly smaller but more powerful. This is because it has to compensate for the armor plating that is placed on the sides up to the canvas roof, providing some protection for for the passengers, as well as the extra length of the vehicle and added pair of wheels in the back. Our engineers also applied Caelium plates to the rear underside of the Oldersmobile Kerata, but the wiring providing power from the GavEngine is shoddily done at best, so power supplied to the plates fluctuates wildly on uneven ground causing the rear of the vehicle to bounce not unlike a horse kicking off a cowboy - especially as it can also send men flying. At least we've supplied safety straps for the men. This bouncing means anything towed by the Kerata often comes unlatched. We also didn't have time or space to mount weaponry to the Kerata, instead relying on the passengers firing out of slits in the armor plating for self-defense, though the cramped quarters and the fact that the slits are behind the benches make this task quite...frustrating. Safe traveling speed is no quicker than the pace of a march, else the bouncing of the vehicle might wind up knocking it out of commission.

Costs 5 Ore, 2 Gavrilium, and 2 Caelium. making it both (VERY EXPENSIVE) and [complex] as we lack a steady Caelium supply, therefore making it functionally a (NATIONAL EFFORT) for the time being. Note also that Ore cost represents the price of purchasing the vehicles+modifications, and actually building a design of our own will likely be cheaper.

------------

Proposal: "Mountain" Myomer Lifting Kit
'Mountain' Myomer Lifting Suit: Our first practical example of what we can  do with Myomer, the Myomer lifting suit enables the individual wearing it to lift far larger loads than what could be done without it. The applications of this are enormous, allowing our troops to far more easily unload supplies from transports and carry much heavier equipment for longer, as well as being able to dig trenches much faster and without exhausting the wearer significantly. Powered by a small Gavrilium engine mounted as a backpack to the suit, the suit is not well suited for frontline duty due to the exposed power supply, instead being assigned to our rear lines to help with engineering and construction work

Difficulty: Hard
Result: 11 (6+6-1) = Masterwork

Our first application of the newly produced Myomer resource has gone splendidly. The user of a Mountain Suit is strapped into a canvas suit reinforced with metal rods, with braids of Myomer fibers running atop the suit attached to the rods at multiple points. The cables originate from a small back-mounted GavEngine that weighs just over ten kilograms, but becomes less of a burden once the suit is powered. The myomer acts as an amplifier to the strength of the user and the force they apply to objects. As such they see the ability to lift and carry up to 250 kilograms with ease. The suit sees widespread usage behind the front line, with battlefield deployment limited only by the vulnerable back-mounted GavEngine and exposed myomer musculature.

The suit costs 2 Gavrilium and 2 Myomer, making it (CHEAP).

NONCOMBAT DESIGN BENEFIT: With the use of the Mountain Suit you may use a Revision to maximize a sector's Entrenchment Level. Another level of Entrenchment, Indomitable (lvl.4), may be applied to your Sectors, and this rule addition will remain hidden from the Abberan team until first contact with an Ent. 4 Sector or they make something that'd provide the same effect.

------------

While we aren't too happy with the laziness of everyone involved with the Kerata, it still fulfills our request. The Mountain Suit more than makes up for the shortcomings of the Kerata project, and so we still hold faith in you all. As both our requests were filled, you now have Two Revisions as well as One Design with a Research Credit to decide on for this Revision Phase. We just ask for more consistency.

IT IS NOW THE REVISION PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

This phase... What even is this phase.... Anyway, onto some revision ideas, I suggest trying to fix the Kerata (or rather, at least make it usable) and the SMG-12. Those are really our only two real things that need fixing really.

SGG-12
The failings of the SMG-12 is simple: We spent so much time looking into the so-called 'superior' fully-automatic firing mechanism that we weren't able to make a proper working smaller gatling gun in the time allotted for the project. This failing will be fixed now. The Sub Gatling Gun does away with the bulky and sights obscuring crank, instead mounting a tiny Gavrilium engine much like our other, larger gatling guns; of course this engine is much smaller and weaker, as it only needs to rotate 3 barrels, and only at a rate that allows a firing rate of 300 rounds per minute. Of course, time is taken to work on the actual mechanisms themselves, aiming to make them more reliable so that failures are the exception and not the norm.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Ha, snake eyes followed by two sixes, lucky us.

We should be able to bring the Kerata down to Expensive by the end of the turn if we get a caelium source (short 2 ore + 1 caelium = -3 total, plus losing the [complex] tag) but that is quite seriously broken. On the other hand though those lifting kits are awesome.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Ha, snake eyes followed by two sixes, lucky us.

We should be able to bring the Kerata down to Expensive by the end of the turn if we get a caelium source (short 2 ore + 1 caelium = -3 total, plus losing the [complex] tag) but that is quite seriously broken. On the other hand though those lifting kits are awesome.

Very Expensive, in order to be only Expensive it needs a deficit of 2 or less.
Notably, if we ripped out the Caelium entirely, it'd only be Expensive; but as we're still assigning resources such a cheapening action would eventually be rendered redundant, and we don't need the short term edge of said cheapening action.

Nevermind me, Man of Paper is doing things a bit different to the norm. Still, the bits about cheapening still stand. We're eventually going to grab both Caelium and more Ore; and we don't need the short term edge of lowering the resource costs.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:49:22 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Holy shit we can increase our defences over level 3 now? I pity the poor Abberans that get to our defences now. The KErata is pretty much unsalvagable aside from the lessons learnt (Like not doing a caelium undercarriage)

Though the SGG-12 seems a little... excessive given it's only a 30-roumd magazine and dumping that many rounds is going to lead to a lot of recoil. That, and I doubt we can make a gavrilium engine that small.

SMG-12a
Revising out the crank fully for a open bolt blowback chamber, we ensure that the weapon is more accurate (As it can now be aimed) and reliable as the feed issue is fixed due to it not relying on the unreliable crankshaft.

Caelium Sleds
While the Kerata was an... admirable effort, the difficulties with the undercarriage shows that we need significantly more experience in vehicle construction and the use of Caelium before another such design can be attempted. The Caelium Sled is our attempt at the latter; Essentially a board of Caelium that's capable of holding a G3-12 or a LGG-12 or equivalent load and a handle to allow or troops to simply pull the sled along, and a power source that can lift the weight of the sled high enough from the ground to make moment easy and can be switched off to deploy the weapon.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

Holy shit we can increase our defences over level 3 now? I pity the poor Abberans that get to our defences now. The KErata is pretty much unsalvagable aside from the lessons learnt (Like not doing a caelium undercarriage)

Though the SGG-12 seems a little... excessive given it's only a 30-roumd magazine and dumping that many rounds is going to lead to a lot of recoil. That, and I doubt we can make a gavrilium engine that small.

The Kerata is almost certainly in the 'don't bother, just restart from scratch' level of bad, but still, I don't think the caelium undercarriage is what screwed it over... Do note that the wiring was a mess and caused fluctuations with it; a bug that'd break even your simple sled. (It did roll 1+1-2. It was destined to be bad)

As for the SGG; not really excessive. 300 RPM with a 30 round magazine is 6 seconds of firing if they just hold the trigger down. Hell, that rate of fire is pretty slow compared to a number of early SMG's. Meaning that its recoil is going to be more manageable compared to those guns.

Glory to United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The SGG is still relatively expensive for what it does, especially when the gavrilium motor is included. Moreover I'm more worried about trying to make a gavrilium motor small enough for it (I can see the benefits of ones that small) and it's effects on difficulty.

And the Caelium undercarriage is a part of it, as I've mentioned. We're gonna want a vehicle that's simpler than it in design next time :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88