Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 95061 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

~~Snipped to save space~~
You say that like it would be like, very expensive at best, maybe even national effort. I disagree - the Mountain suit is cheap, and we're leveraging experience from that. I think power armor would be expensive at most, maybe even cheap if pushing the edge of it. I can think of two primary uses for power armor - what Parsely said about single, mobile, and heavily armored men carrying heavy weaponry, and taking on enemy fortifications without presenting the huge target that an armored vehicle does. As well, in the sort of city combat we're going to see at the start of the war, armored vehicles will be useful but limited to the streets, unable to really get into buildings, while power armored infantry would be able to actually reach the enemy easier.

Not to say we shouldn't get armored vehicles, but I think you're underestimating the value of power armor.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moreover a suit of power armour would be far more usable in CQC conditions (And provide a massive advantage in such too). Don't even need every soldier in the stuff, even a few would serve as frighteningly potent forces.

Hell, the common man still benefits from having someone properly armoured to the point of being able to take point regularly and surviving it consistently.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Revisions
SGG-12 (3): Jilladilla, Maximum Spin, Madman
SMG-12a (4): Taricus, Twinwolf, Parsely, NUKE9.13
The SMG-13 (1): Yami
ArC-13c (1): Yami
Caelium Sleds (5): Taricus, Twinwolf, Maximum Spin, Parsely, NUKE9.13

Designs
VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio (5): NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, Parsely, Taricus, Madman
Self Propelled Artillery (0):
The Cold Gun (1): Yami
I figure that even if it's going to lose I might as well vote for what seems the most reasonable choice. Besides, if we do power armor, abnormal weight or recoil won't matter to us.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Being able to aim it properly will, and given that our power armour would be able to carry heavier equipment, giving them a standard SMG as armament seems a bit of an underutilisation to me :P

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If our army's "standard SMG" is another army's "standard heavy machinegun" then it still works just fine.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the LGG-12 would suffice for that role with out power armoured troops :P

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another 4 hours for voting before we move onwards. Make your final arguments!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year 1912 AC (After Colonization) Cold Season, Revision Phase

Proposal: SMG-12a
SMG-12a
Revising out the crank fully for a open bolt blowback chamber, we ensure that the weapon is more accurate (As it can now be aimed) and reliable as the feed issue is fixed due to it not relying on the unreliable crankshaft.

Difficulty: Very Hard
Result: 8 (6+4-2) = Average

Our focus on a new firing mechanics has led to the successful conversion of the SMG-12 from a crank-operated SubMachine Gun to an automatic SMG. The SMG-12a weighs 4.3kg and replaces the crank-operated mechanisms with an open bolt blowback automatic firing system. Iron sights are added onto the weapon to facilitate the newfound ability to aim the weapon, giving it a max firing range of 200m while dramatically increasing reliability of the weapon in terms of actually firing rounds when it's meant to. Dirt and mud can cause some issues, but the weapon is fairly easy to clean. The SMG-12a will replace the SMG-12 unless otherwise dictated.

The weapon is slightly cheaper now at 3 Ore and 2 Wood.

You may also decide to keep the SMG-12 in the field or make it [OBSOLETE], though even if you don't keep it you can still work off the design at a later date.

------------

Proposal: Caelium Sleds
Caelium Sleds
While the Kerata was an... admirable effort, the difficulties with the undercarriage shows that we need significantly more experience in vehicle construction and the use of Caelium before another such design can be attempted. The Caelium Sled is our attempt at the latter; Essentially a board of Caelium that's capable of holding a G3-12 or a LGG-12 or equivalent load and a handle to allow or troops to simply pull the sled along, and a power source that can lift the weight of the sled high enough from the ground to make moment easy and can be switched off to deploy the weapon.

Difficulty: Easy
Result: 13 (6+6+1) = Unexpected Boon

The Armored Sled is an armored platform using a powered Caelium foil on the underside of the floor to lift itself into the air enough to be maneuvered. The inside of the platform has two holes in the floor for crew to hop into and "push" the Sled from inside using handles attached to it as well as to provide some stability to the platform. The legs of the crew pushing are protected by a skirt surrounding the Sled. A lever inside controls power to four 30cm screws that bite into the ground to provide further stability to the platform should rotation not be needed. While the Sled was levitating it still required enough force to overcome it's original mass to move. As such a Caelium Steel alloy was created in our attempts to come up with a solution that didn't involve fielding vulnerable Mountain suits at the front. By mixing Caelium with Steel we created a metal that is somehow lighter than the sum of it's parts. A 5mm armor plate of Caelium Steel weighs half as much as a similar steel plate while providing the same amount of strength, but comes at a higher cost.

Small amounts of Caelium Steel were used to lighten the Sled and make the job of moving it easier, especially as the platform has 4-8mm armor a meter high at the front and sides to protect the gunner on the G3-12 or LGG-12 mounted on the Sled slightly forward of center or the four extra passengers inside (leaving the crew at 3). The Sled can be moved at the pace of a march and provides a mobile firing post for our forces.

Costs 3 Ore and 2 Caelium as well as 2 Gavrilium for the motor providing power to the Sled. This makes it (EXPENSIVE), though our lack of a Caelium supply makes it [complex].

Of course, we also have unarmored Caelium Sleds closer to the original design for transporting our G3 and LGG, as well as larger sleds made to transport our GA1 and GA1B, with Mountain Suits assigned to the "haulers". These cost 2 Ore, 1 Caelium, and 2 Gavrilium, making it (CHEAP), though once again having no Caelium resource makes it [complex].

------------

Proposal: VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio
VTR-12 "Ceramah" Radio: The scientific community in Salvios has been going nuts. They are scrambling over themselves to get government contracts to develop technology for military applications. This is probably due to the fact that doing so gets them access to classified materials such as Gavrilium, Caelium, and Myomer. That the army pays even better than Merchant Lords for useful inventions doesn't hurt either.
Anyway, we've been approached by a team from Dawai Labs, who have presented a device called a 'vacuum tube'. Whilst these devices have been around for many years, they have been naught but scientific curios, only useful for obscure experiments in theoretical physics. But just this year, there has been a breakthrough which could very well change the world. A vacuum tube containing three electrodes has been found to act as an "amplifier"- which, to cut a long story short, makes it possible to create effective radio transmitters and receivers of a scale previously unheard of.
The potential utility of an effective radio is not lost on us, and so we have decided to not only bring Dawai Labs on board, but also dedicate our additional funding to the project to ensure the end result is the best possible piece of kit we can create.
The Ceramah comes in three varieties; receiver-only, broadcast-only, and broadcast/receiver. Their size ascends in order. The receiver-only kit consists of two (20?)kg boxes and a 2m antenna, and can be transported by infantry, with a hand-cranked generator to recharge the batteries. The broadcast-only is slightly larger, and has a small Gavrilium generator included to provide enough power to give a decent range of a few kilometers- suitable for installation in small-ish vehicles. The broadcast/receiver unit is quite large, and would only fit on a large vehicle, but has a very respectable range, making it perfect for installation in command posts.

Difficulty: Hard
Result: 8 (5+4-1) 9 (6+4-1) = Above Average

The Ceramah is a radio system that provides our forces the ability to communicate instantly over long distances. The smaller man-portable, though cumbersome, equipment provides a range of 1.5km, while larger instruments and Radio Stations can broadcast and receive much further.

Ceramah equipment costs 6 Ore, making it (EXPENSIVE) in terms of infantry usage.

NONCOMBAT DESIGN BENEFIT: Any sector controlled by Salvios with an Entrenchment Level above 1 receives the "Radio Coverage" modifier thanks to the construction of Radio Stations, increasing overall effectiveness of Defending a sector as well as Counter-Attacking overrun positions (when Abbera controls a percentage of a Salviosi sector without flipping control) based on the efficacy of the design. This rule will remain secret until first contact or Abbera makes a design that reveals this bonus.

------------

We're in the final phases of preparation for the next push north. It is now time to once again assign a Resource to a node in a controlled sector and select a sector to fortify. Remember to decide whether or not the SMG-12 is made (OBSOLETE). We also commend you on the discovery of Caelium Steel, which will certainly be useful in the future.

IT IS NOW THE STRATEGY PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:40:37 am by Man of Paper »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Strategic Proposal A:
This should not be a difficult season, in terms of strategy.

While obviously we mean to fortify as much as possible, our current control doesn't extend far. I propose we fortify the Plateaus first, as our technology is currently grants a large advantage in the deserts that extra fortifications won't be immediately necessary.

The other reason to do so, is I've heard that there was a Caelium node in the plateaus, which is essential for our technology right now.

I believe the SMG-12, the initial version, is obsolete as of the invention of the 12a. With it being both cheaper and more effective there is simply no reason to keep the original in service.

Proposal above. The fortification location and location of the resource is fairly arbitrary but we have a couple complex things that need Caelium. We'll want chemical compounds next turn in my opinion, so as to make the GA1B not complex, barring new priorities.

Also: That sled worked out really really good. From what I can tell it's basically good enough to be used in place of the Kerata as that is, given the latter's slow speed anyway.

A thought. Down the line, combining bigger sleds with the artillery (perhaps after a revision to make it caelium steel) would give us very mobile artillery platform, which with the radio would let us put down fire wherever we want. Not an immediate priority - I feel that shelling city targets will be difficult? - but helpful when we push into their land.

Quote from: Voting
Plan A (1): Twinwolf
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:47:10 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Botevox
Fortify:
Plateaus: (2) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13

Resource:
Caelium Node in the Plateaus: (2) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13

Obsolete SMG-12?
Yes: (2) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can agree with that, except for fortifying the plateau in favour of fortifying the capital to lv.4 fortifications.

Quote from: Votebox
Fortify:
Salvios: (1) Taricus

Resource:
Caelium Node in the Plateaus: (3) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Obsolete SMG-12?
Yes: (3) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13, Taricus

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I mentioned this on Discord, but fortifying Salvios itself is kinda sub-optimal.
-Ideally, we won't ever fight in Salvios. Of course, ideally we won't ever fight in the Plateaus either, but it's more likely.
-We can easily fortify the capital if Abbera gets within range, there's no need to do it right now.
-Going from level 0 to level 1 is probably more significant than going from level 3 to level 4.
  -In fact, with the radio tech, we know it is.
I really can't think of a single reason to fortify the capital over any other region.
Long Live United Forenia!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only reason I can think of is the fluff of having a massively fortified capital. I'd rather fortify our new resource node.
Sigtext!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I support Twinwolf's plan.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously?  We just got tech that benefits from leveling up our fortifications, why do you insist on not using it?

Come on people, all our eggs, one basket.

Quote from: Votebox
Fortify:
Salvios: (1) Taricus
Lowlands: (1) Yami

Resource:
Caelium Node in the Plateaus: (3) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13, Taricus
Chemical Compounds in the Lowlands: (1): Yami

Obsolete SMG-12?
Yes: (3) Twinwolf, NUKE9.13, Taricus
No: (1) Yami

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:05:25 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 88