Hammer Time
- 3 (21.4%)
Time...to die.
- 6 (42.9%)
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
- 3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 88

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 95065 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Revision Phase)
« Reply #690 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:08 am »

Darnit Yami, don't make me find the Schlock Mercenary comic that-oh, fine.

You know what we call flying soldiers on the battlefield?

So, the Kerata. I'd almost propose an alternative version for it, except I'll be voting for it in next turn's REVISIONS. Yes, revisions. The Kerata, right now, is technically a vehicle built by someone else. Remove the Caelium and remove the troop compartment and we basically have up-armored a civilian car and added a really powerful MG turret to the roof. Hey, that sounds familiar! Probably because like 75% of the armored cars ever built were civilian vehicles up-armored and sometimes armed. (This is not counting the protected limousines and whatnot that government leaders drive around in, despite those technically qualifying as armored cars. If I *did* count those, it'd be 99.9% of armored cars designed off of civilian frames) Neither one of those things will be difficult to do, and together they should make the car perfectly functional at towing around artillery and providing a faster-moving armored platform to use GGGs and LGGs from.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Revision Phase)
« Reply #691 on: September 03, 2018, 09:19:12 am »

I mean, to be fair, my interpretation of Yami's design (which does seem more a design than a revision) was that those jump packs are not actually for in-combat use - they're meant to get soldiers behind enemy lines from unexpected angles to raid logistics and artillery positions and come back, rather than flying around and being giant targets. I think that's actually a fairly reasonable use for them (kinda like paratroopers but with a way to get back), but not immediately neccesary and not something I think we can do as a revision.

Anyway, given that explanation I could possibly support a revision for armored cars next turn.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:29:26 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 03, 2018, 10:20:56 am »

We might manage it in a revision, but paratroopers get shot down even at night. They're basically just low-budget paratroopers, and if that sphere makes any noise they're actually worse than regular paratroopers.

Now, if we managed to produce power armor and a Lifting Engine derivate capable of providing them short high-speed jumps across things like rivers, canyons, open terrain, bunkers, awkwardly-placed infinitely deep chasms, and tanks, THAT might be more useful. They won't be as easy to shoot down if they're armored enough to resist rifle and SMG fire, especially if they don't hang around long enough to get hit with anything heavier.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 03, 2018, 01:24:31 pm »

Doesn't look like things are gonna shift, so I'll lock down the votes and start work on the revisions.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 03, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »

Right, let's not try and fine a way around fortifications and trenches, because our soldiers might be in danger.  Let's just send them straight at the guns instead.  I'm sure it'll be safer.  Seriously though, Air Mobile Infantry would give us mobility that we seriously lack.

As for the Kerata, I'm doubting we'll ever get it fixed at this rate.  We should just obsolete it and accept that we're not getting anything faster'n walking speed.

~Yami mad genius Scientist.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 03, 2018, 01:46:26 pm »

You really should just take the genius out of your signature line, joke or not. We can EASILY get something faster than walking speed and we definitely should. Ironic that you would insist that we can do something hard that has clear and probably debilitating downsides on the one hand while stating that we will never achieve anything that humans achieved with horses several MILLENNIA ago.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 03, 2018, 01:48:39 pm »

Oh. I know! Let's do Myomer-sliced horses!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 03, 2018, 01:51:27 pm »

The problem with infantry in the air in any capacity other than getting to their fights, is that they're giant moving targets. On the ground, there's a thing called 'cover' and 'concealment'. In the air, any half decent shot can kill them no problem unless they're moving fast enough to be dangerous to themselves. Hence wanting to wait for armor before considering it.

And I don't think the Kerata failing means we can't do vehicles. Like at all. It just means that particular vehicle failed. There have been some truly shit vehicles in human history and we still have cars, tanks, airplanes, and so on, don't we :p

Honestly it's a tad annoying that you act as if everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:38:48 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 04, 2018, 12:57:56 am »

Apologies.

~Yami
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Strat. Phase)
« Reply #699 on: September 04, 2018, 06:03:20 am »

Year 1913 AC Hot Season, Revision Phase

Proposal: Senapang Rifle Var.S
A sniper variant of the Senapang. When a new batch of Senapangs are produced, they are each tested for their accuracy at various ranges. Those that have the greatest marks are fitted with a long-range scope, and become Senapang Variant: Sniper rifles, and are given to the best marksmen in each squad in place of their standard service rifle. These snipers pick off enemies as they poke their heads out of their fortifications, or aim for high value targets when they foolishly enter their sightlines.

Difficulty: Easy
Result: 11 (5+5+1) = Masterwork

When a soldier was found using half of his broken binoculars strapped to the side of his rifle to impress his buddies high command saw the potential of a marksman's rifle designed for long-range precision fire. A telescopic sight was developed to pursue this goal, and the results were brilliant as usual.

The 8x sight uses three thick lines (two from the sides, one from the bottom) to make up the crosshairs, and thanks to this development can be used to fire the Senapang out to it's actual effective range of 1200 meters, though shots can still cause injury and death out to 4 kilometers (though at that distance it's almost pure luck when a shot lands). The scope is mounted off-center to the right to continue allowing the rifleman to load the weapon with stripper clips.

The scopes do not add cost to the rifle, and so we can freely hand one out to each squad thanks to the cost of the Senapang.

------------

Proposal: Retractable Roofs
As we saw, as good as the Armored Sled is, it has a weakness: The high ground. If one can get a solid angle they can fire down into the sled like shooting fish in a barrel. This won't do when we arrive at Harren. As such, I propose we revise the Armored Sled to include a roof. In order to not hinder soldiers getting out of the sled, the roof is built to retract with a crank on the inside, and a hatch in case that mechanism jams.

Difficulty: Trivial
Result: 9 (4+2+3) = Above Average

In order to protect our troops in Armored Sleds from fire from above we have installed retractable roofs to the vehicles. Two rails curve from the back of the Armored Sled upward and to the front. Interlocked slats of steel rest stacked at the back until required, where a lever is pulled and the chains in the rails pull the roof up and over. The system is connected to the GavEngine that powers the Caelium foil, allowing the roof to be raised and lowered without needing to manually crank anything.

Adds 1 Ore to the design, making a Roofed Sled variant that is (EXPENSIVE) until cost can be dropped and the Armored Sled completely replaced.

------------

Proposal: M3 Fragmentation Grenade
A fragmentation grenade, based on the M2 incendiary. The gav charge has been removed and replaced with metal fragments, while the casing of the grenade has been thickened. The exposive charge has been made smaller as well, to make it more suitable for use by assault troops.

Difficulty: Easy
Result: 11 (6+4+1) = Masterwork

The M3 can be as lethal as the M2 while doing significantly less damage to the environment around it. The M3 uses an explosive charge to shatter and propel the casing of the grenade as well as the metal shards inside of it. The grenade is lethal within a 5 meter radius and debilitating with 15, though fragments have occasionally been flung as far as 200 meters. The M3 is shaped like a palm-sized egg to facilitate ease of throwing and carrying, though sticks can be screwed into small threads on the bottom if so desired. The best part of the M3 is the inclusion of our long-abandoned grenade switch. At the top of the weapon is a cap that, when twisted before being pulled off, will set an impact fuse on the grenade, whereas just popping it off will light a 7 second fuse. A pin holds the cap securely in place to prevent accidental priming and detonation.

The M3 costs 2 Ore, making it (CHEAP).

------------

As Salvios advances on land we also march onward with determination in our technology. Our enemies will tremble until crushed under heel. We have, however, been missing something very important. We have yet to design a flag that truly represents Salvios as a nation. As such, it is up to you, our brilliant engineers, to design a flag that will represent us as we pave our way forward. They are to be posted and voted on in this thread, though the winner will be gloriously displayed in the Core Thread for all to bask in.

As it is the Strategy Phase we must also once more decide on a sector to fortify as well as a resource and where to put it. We've also had a number of marksmen prove their worth, so we leave it up to you to select one designated marksman for a special commendation [That commendation being that he's consistently in battle so I can write about him. Same rules as the first time]. We move on the South Peaks and Savannah, and soon all of our side of Harren Island will be cleared of Selicate soldiers. Our LEA-13s have been hard at work trying to glean information from our enemies without giving themselves away, and so we should have some useful information on our foes soon enough.

IT IS NOW THE STRATEGY PHASE.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special Rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:37:50 am by Man of Paper »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Strat. Phase)
« Reply #700 on: September 04, 2018, 07:20:55 am »

While I don’t have suggestions for another hero yet, or a flag design, I do have thoughts on strategy. The rolling hills would be where Abbera is most likely to push if they took the crossing, so fortify that. Two things of fair importance use chemical compounds and are currently complex because of it, so we should grab that. Put it in the back line for safety and in the desert to avoid all our eggs in one basket.

(I think barring new priorities, we should grab either more Caelium or more Ore next turn. Either one would be useful.)

Quote from: Votebox
Fortify:
Rolling Hills (1): Twinwolf

Resource
Chemical Compounds in the Desert (1): Twinwolf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:43:31 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: Salvios Thread / 1913 A.C. Hot Season (Strat. Phase)
« Reply #701 on: September 04, 2018, 09:10:23 am »

Seems sound.

Quote from: Votebox
Fortify:
Rolling Hills (2): Twinwolf, Yami

Resource
Chemical Compounds in the Desert (2): Twinwolf, Yami

~Yami.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 04, 2018, 10:05:37 am »

A hero suggestion. Since it's a marksman specifically, I had an idea. Salvios (and the empire it was initially a part of) has Russian influences. During the first world war, if I'm not mistaken Russia had fairly notable female snipers. So, it might be a fun nod to that.

(Name was generated on behindthename with a few cultures that seemed relevant to Salvios ticked. If someone has different suggestions please feel free to make them.)

Arina Marcia Jasso

Arina Marcia Jasso was born to a wealthy merchant family based in the capital of Salvios. From a young age, she never really took an interest in the ‘ladylike’ things her parents tried to teach her, more of an active and athletic individual. Eventually, her father allowed her to follow him hunting. While it was just to humor her and hopefully dissuade her from the “manly” activity, they found that she had a natural skill at this, quietly stalking prey and being highly accurate, whether with a hunting bow or, later, a rifle. As Salvios marches to war, most of Arina's family is unaffected - her brothers help run the family business, rather than join the war effort as many men of the country do. She, believed that a family of their prestige needed to contribute more than just money to those that protected them and ran away to join the army.

While the majority of the Salvios armed forces are men, and she had difficulty convincing the recruiters to allow her to join, a few things worked in her favor. One was throwing money at the problem, and two was proving her skill in marksmanship. When the brass started looking for marksmen, even the most prideful of the men in her squad didn’t even pretend they could match Arina's precision with the Senapang. On her new sniper rifle, she etched the family name and crest. She has recently received commendation for distinguished service.
Sigtext!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 04, 2018, 12:15:56 pm »

Yeah, that looks good to me. The flag issue may be trickier, though.

Here's a simple flag design:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yellow is our national colour, red is the colour of unity, the circle with a square hole is a coin: Salvios is united through money.
I sort of feel like going for a simple, elegant flag, but I'd understand if people want something a little more exciting.
Long Live United Forenia!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 04, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »

I'd reverse the colours, thus making the coin both A) gold, and B) symbolic of Salvios.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 88