Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is your god now?  (Read 2472 times)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Where is your god now?
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:06:22 am »

I started out a new fort, Inksacks, a couple of days ago. Around 40 population, I carved out some quick spaces for temples--one no-particular-god one and one each for a couple of the more popular deities. Now it's a few years later, I've inherited a king and started a megaproject, so I figured it's time to fill out the Street of the Gods. In doing so, I made a list of the available gods, how many followers they had, and which ones already had temples.

Doing that, though, I discovered that I have a temple, The Mahogany Shrine, dedicated to Elifa Gorgecoast the Untamed Boulder. When I assign a new temple, though, it gives me a list of deities--and Elifa Gorgecoast the Untamed Boulder does not appear in the list. Where did Elifa go? It must have had a fair number of worshippers, or I would not have made a temple. And I haven't had enough dwarves get killed to have the entire congregation wiped out--and even if I did, I've got another god with 0 worshippers listed.

I've been getting lots of barons, so I imagine my civ is getting slaughtered. Can a god die?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is your god now?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:51:43 am »

I don't believe real gods can die (yet. Myth & Magic should change that). However, there's a tendency to start worshiping megabeasts, and those can die, of course.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 03:59:01 am »

Visitor's Gods show up in the temple list too (mercs gotta pray), might have been one of them?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 11:12:06 am »

When creating a new temple, you can choose amongst deities worshipped by people available on map. If there are no worshippers left, the deity disappears from the list. Worshippers can be removed for example by sending them on raid mission. When they return, the god will return to the choice list too.

I don't have a god with 0 worshippers - possibly it can happen when there is already a temple to that god. Try removing this temple, and then creating a new one - the name should disappear from the list.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 01:08:08 pm »

I don't have a god with 0 worshippers - possibly it can happen when there is already a temple to that god. Try removing this temple, and then creating a new one - the name should disappear from the list.
I had several gods with zero worshippers from the start. I only bulit temples to gods with multiple worshippers.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 02:19:04 pm »

I had several gods with zero worshippers from the start. I only bulit temples to gods with multiple worshippers.

I'd say it's strange. I have counted the gods I can assign temples to, and have 88 of them. Most of them have 1 or 2 worshippers, but none has zero. If the last worshipper is removed, the god disappears from the list.

Anyway, I wanted to point to other possible problem with gods: the names in the list doesn't have to match the names in the dwarf's relationship list.

For example, I can dedicate a temple to a god named "The Dungeon of Plague". I had problems finding the single worshipper. This is because this god is named "Edir Elcur" in his relationship list. These names are synonyms, one is the English translation, the other is in Dwarven.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »

I had a situation where a few dwarves started worshiping a 4-year old donkey, and also a Hydra. I got them confused due to name similarities, and was very surprised when Tobnom, purportedly a young farm animal, showed up and started ripping up a goblin siege.

Can't wait for myth/magic so Tobnom from the petting zoo can be properly venerated.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:32:58 pm »

Those are surely just the two separate incarnations of the same being with a Duality (like Trinity, but marked down for stock clearance sakes) of existence.

That said, I'd look forward to any possible advancement in that sort of situation, in future.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 04:21:05 am »

I believe you always start out with all gods of your civ in you list of gods, which means that there can be gods with zero worshipers in that list. As the number of migrants increases, the changes of any of those gods having no worshipers decreases. Beyond that base, the list of gods seems to be filled on an "as needed" basis.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 06:21:51 am »

That seems so. My civ has 11 gods, and apparently all of them have worshippers in the fortress. The rest are from migrants and visitors.
I loaded a save from the beginning, when only seven starting dwarves are present, and 5/11 of gods have no worshippers.

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:03 pm »

My civ has 11 gods, and apparently all of them have worshippers in the fortress.

I'm surprised, since there's usually a Dwarven God of Death, and I haven't ever seen my God of Death gain any followers.

You must have some goth dorfs. Do you have a sequestered vampire bookkeeper or anything like that?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 01:58:24 am »

My civ has 11 gods, and apparently all of them have worshippers in the fortress.

I'm surprised, since there's usually a Dwarven God of Death, and I haven't ever seen my God of Death gain any followers.

You must have some goth dorfs. Do you have a sequestered vampire bookkeeper or anything like that?

I have two commanders who are vampires, but their gods are not related to Death. One of them is not nice, since it cursed said vampire (and scores of other people), but no Death.

I do have four gods of Death, though:
Warosp the Crypt of Tombs - 1 worshipper
Cish Dusthphantom - 1 worshipper
Nekol the Fate of Dust - 4 worshippers (also god of Suicide)
Bim Queenlanced - 2 worshippers (also god Darkness and War)

Additionally there is a god of Murder (and only that), named Dead Burial, who has 5 worshippers, also probably goths. However, of all these worshippers, only one of Bim Queenlanced's worshippers is a full citizen. The rest are LoTRs (Long-Term Residents). So I don't know if they picked it up here, because of general gloom of the fortress, or just came already mentally scarred.

EDIT: Oh, and there's no god of Death amongst the eleven original gods of the civ. There are no evil-looking gods at all, the worst seems to be the either the god of Fire and Volcanos or the god or Rumors.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:04:33 am by Saiko Kila »

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 03:08:13 am »

I had a situation where a few dwarves started worshiping a 4-year old donkey, and also a Hydra. I got them confused due to name similarities, and was very surprised when Tobnom, purportedly a young farm animal, showed up and started ripping up a goblin siege.

Can't wait for myth/magic so Tobnom from the petting zoo can be properly venerated.
"And then came Tobnom, ass god!"
Who's sig is that, again?
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:12:38 pm »

"And then came Tobnom, ass god!"
Who's sig is that, again?

Dis guy

Anyway the hydra Tobnom saved the entire fort but died in the attempt. It's one of my favorite stuff-that-happened-to-me stories, because the bones of Tobnom were made into a reliquary. Very epic-poem sort of cool.

Never mind that dwarves usually start to worship megabeasts because it racks up an unusual number of dwarf kills. Hail Tobnom.

For reals can't wait for deity updates.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »

Later I've noticed that gods worshipped by visitors (guests, the guys in the Other tab) are not counted as available, nor they worshippers counted. Only citizens and long-term residents are counted in location screen. This makes it possible to lose ability to create a new temple of a given god, even if you have one already, and if there are active worshippers there (but they are all visitors).

I had so much problems managing the numerous temples, that I made a DFhack script to show gods (sorted by popularity), temples:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172496.0

It allowed me to notice that some popular gods have no temples, others have dipped in popularity, or some temples have rooms or zones assigned which I've forgotten about. All output is to the console, but function depends on the selection in the game's window.

The script has three modes:
  • unit - when the unit is selected in the game window, shows gods worshipped by it (if any), status of their best temple, spheres, need to worship and current focus
  • zone/temple - when the cursor is over an activity zone (or zones), or the temple is highlighted in the temple list, it shows status of the temple, god's info, as well as zones and rooms assigned to it (optionally only zones are shown); this last bit can be used for taverns and library too
  • default - in all other cases, all gods are shown ordered from most popular (optionally also gods worshipped by visitors only), colour-coded according to the status of the best temple, with number of worshipper of every kind (citizens, long-term residents and optionally visitors). Additionally temples for no specific deity are listed, as well as abandoned temples (temples built but with no worshippers).

Now I spend less time with managing temples, and more with crucial stuff.

Interestingly, only a minority of dwarves do worship gods, and only part of them does need to actively worship. Coincidentally or not the most unhappy dwarves tend to not worship anyone. Doesn't mean there are no happy atheists, because there are, just unhappy dwarves rarely are believers. Still, there are many dwarves who do worship gods covered by temples, really want to pray, but somehow do not find time to do so, even if their work mostly as haulers.