Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meager Quarters in red, how to check requirements?  (Read 562 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Meager Quarters in red, how to check requirements?
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:07:38 pm »

I opened the Rooms screen and found meager quarters in red. how do I determine what is required? does the (S) mean something?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meager Quarters in red, how to check requirements?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 04:37:34 am »

"Nobles" demand quarters/dining rooms/offices/tombs of varying quality and quantity. You can see these demands on the nobles screen. You can increase the value of a room by smoothing the floor and walls, and further improve it with engravings. Size matters, so a larger room is more valuable than a smaller one with the same improvements. Furniture improves the room value as well, while shared (i.e. overlapping) rooms have a detrimental effect (I believe there are some sharing schemes that yield a net benefit).
Nobles typically demand a certain number of different kinds of furniture as well, but don't care which of their rooms the items are in, so distributing them to spread the value enhancement is a useful strategy.
The Mayor is a "noble" and has some demands, as does the Bookkeeper and Manager (I typically have the same dorf on both roles, saving on rooms). The higher ranking the noble the larger the demands. Just keep adding improvements until the requirements have been met (some traps are very valuable, and so, some players place those in noble rooms to increase their value).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:41:20 am »

I just added beds to where the carpentry shop and masonry are, and assigned them to the mason and carpenter. Did I do something wrong? Should I unassign them? Thank you for the information

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:27 am »

In the <r>ooms list, buildings show up in Red and with an "(S)" indicator if they are shared - that is, if their room area overlaps with at least one other room. It has nothing to do with being of insufficient quality for a Noble.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:55:26 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:59:40 am »

thank you