Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73

Author Topic: Legacy FEF IC Thread  (Read 54032 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Legacy FEF IC Thread
« Reply #645 on: March 14, 2020, 07:53:00 pm »

Hoshiko's mouth twisted irritably.
"A true hero never shies away from danger, and doesn't need anyone to guard their back when they go to strike it down. I have fought before, you know, and I don't think I could have. . ." She trailed off, suddenly at a loss for words, then made an angry noise. "I hate this. I can't even remember what I did that was so important, or who my Goddess is, or why she no longer speaks to me, and now I'm being lectured by a man I barely know about lessons I already learned!" Despite her words, she didn't actually seem to be focused on Alex.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 14, 2020, 08:19:08 pm »

Alexander fell silent for a moment at the girl's outburst, considering how best to approach it. (He got the feeling that he'd done this on many occasions before.) It didn't seem like her primary issue was truly what he was saying. So, hesitating as he figured out the best way to word things, Alexander spoke, raising his hands in a supplicating gesture.
:"Look... I understand a lot of that myself. I don't remember the land that I am a knight of, which I dedicated myself to. We all hate it. I don't even remember who my wife and children are, and that is something I have been finding horrifying. But the only way to get all of this back is to continue until we remember, right? That's why we should make sure that we can get back up from the risks we take -- otherwise we're never going to remember, yes?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: March 14, 2020, 08:36:13 pm »

Vahn refreshes his gear by simply swapping out the used equipment for fresh copies of the same.

The old warlock followed Iris to the kitchens and answered her question. He wasn't sure it had been directed at him - he stalked so silently out of habit that she might not have noticed he was even trailing her - but leaving it hanging felt rude.

"If we are lucky, perhaps some from all over. I do wonder what the difference between a potato from my world and a potato from your world would be, though."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #648 on: March 14, 2020, 08:36:28 pm »

It was Hoshiko's turn to be quiet for a moment, though for her part, it seemed she was trying to find a valid reason to push back against what he was saying. Her search failing, she sighed ever so slightly.
". . . I suppose you're right. If I keep going, and just thinking of her and the cause I still fight for, then I will remember eventually, if what Friedhelm said is correct." She glanced back up at Alexander sharply. "But I can fend for myself. I didn't survive on my own for this long without knowing how to mind myself in a fight."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: March 15, 2020, 06:47:19 am »

Vahn refreshes his gear by simply swapping out the used equipment for fresh copies of the same.

The old warlock followed Iris to the kitchens and answered her question. He wasn't sure it had been directed at him - he stalked so silently out of habit that she might not have noticed he was even trailing her - but leaving it hanging felt rude.

"If we are lucky, perhaps some from all over. I do wonder what the difference between a potato from my world and a potato from your world would be, though."

Having a dusty old Warlock appear from behind you was always an unsettling experience.

She cocked a tome ready to hurl, but lowered it when he appeared.

"...Eek!

...I mean, uh, hello Mr. Vahn. I didn't see you there...

Well. I don't think our potatoes would be very different. I recall a crunchy vegetable one traditionally snacks on after meals, loaded with whipped cream, fruit and sweets. Why, I could barely eat more than two for dessert..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 15, 2020, 07:53:16 am »

"Really? Fruits and cream?"

Vahn blinked in surprise.

"I remember more of a starchy root vegetable that was unhealthy to eat raw. It went well with butter and meat... when I could get any of those things. I think I spent a lot of time in a foreign country where the cuisine was... basic, to put it mildly. Not much more adventurous than putting beef on bread."

He thought for a few quiet moments, forcing a few memories up from the abyss in much the same way a man might dislodge a bit of recalcitrant corn from a molar.

"My homeland, Gahnawende... we tended to fry food in oil a lot. All this talk of potatoes has reminded me of something we called Bhajia: fried potatoes, in a crunchy skin of coriander, onion, and chilies. I haven't had that in... forty years, I think."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 15, 2020, 09:46:46 am »

"Home...I remember my home, it was the city of Ariamas...quite a fancy place, ho ho. And I was once the best soul-painter in town...though I feel I usually disdained fancy food, I learned to stomach it quite well. Which is about how I felt most of the people I worked commissions for...

Ah, but that does sound good. We will find your Bhajia, Mr. Vahn! Even if you can't stomach the thought of tasting it ever again!"
She said enthusiastically.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: March 15, 2020, 12:58:46 pm »

"No, I'd... I'd like a taste of home."

He had gone back to Gahnawende in his twilight years. He was sure of it. But he'd been so old and set in his ways that he'd just stuck to the absolute minimum cooking necessary to survive.

"I'll see what I can make. Bhajia, or samosas if you'd prefer meat."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 15, 2020, 03:58:58 pm »

"I could go for pretty much anything. For some reason I'm really quite hungry...like I haven't eaten in a long time...but, my stunning figure indicates I'm clearly not starved." She mused.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 15, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »

"You do look healthy. Myself, I'm scarred skin and chipped bones. I was... ill, for a long time."

He had caught a reflection of himself earlier, and he'd started to suspect he'd grown the beard because it hid the outline of his bony jaw. It was bad enough that his cheeks were hollow, eyes slightly sunken. If he wasn't himself, he would swear the person he saw was a crazy old hermit. Then again, who's to say that wasn't how he had ended up? He couldn't remember everything yet, after all.

"I'll see about making us something good. I should be able to avoid all the poisons and unhealthy herbs, if they look and smell anything like the ones from my home."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 15, 2020, 04:14:47 pm »

The kitchen that Iris and Vahn had found was unlike anything that either had seen before. The Nexus's predilection toward smooth white stone was also in play here. Large work surfaces stood as islands in the room. Set into each was drawers and cabinets, each holding a variety of tools. Some were familiar, and others were not, but bowls, plates, and spoons were all in evidence. The wall to the right of the door was lined with what seemed to be a collection of counters topped with magical sigils. Though they didn't seem to have any sort of direct translation, based on the unrecognizable nature the rings took to them, there was an unmistakable sensation that they could be used to heat whatever sort of cooking vessel one wished to pull down from those hanging overhead.

Doors were spaced along the opposite wall as well, and within each was a shimmering blue screen, with vegetables, fruits, and large cuts of raw meat sitting just behind the entryway. Small bottles of this and that were also in abundance, and inspection of the labels revealed them to be a staggering variety of spices and dried herbs. Though these too were kept behind the shimmering blue screens.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 15, 2020, 04:18:06 pm »

"Ah, our luck is turning. What would you like to try, Iris? Bhajia? Samosa? Perhaps pilau or mshikaki?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: March 15, 2020, 04:22:59 pm »

"My theory was correct." Irs said, clapping her slender hands together.

"Ah, our luck is turning. What would you like to try, Iris? Bhajia? Samosa? Perhaps pilau or mshikaki?"

"...Right. This must be like art, and for art one must understand your materials. We should test small parts of the food and spices to determine their tastes and textures, extrapolate the closest things to what we remember and then combine the ingredients in the ways we desire." Iris planned. She always took her work seriously... "Or perhaps the labels have the same sort of translation magic our devices have?"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: March 15, 2020, 04:40:27 pm »

"I plan to go by sight and smell, though mshikaki would be easiest. All I need for that is meat and some spices to marinate it in."

Vahn took some likely looking herbs, smelling them carefully and inspecting the leaves. He didn't expect the guardian would keep anything that wasn't comestible in the kitchen, but it paid to know what he was working with. He found a few plants that smelled of ginger and garlic and took those, along with some of the thick red meat and what appeared (and tasted, when carefully applied to the tongue) of salt and pepper. The spices he ground and mixed into a bowl, then set it aside to cut the meat into large chunks. That done, he dusted the meat with the mixture, then put it all in a bowl and set it aside to marinate.

"And I'll get to work on the bhajia while that gets ready."

He fetched the potatoes from the larder - good to see a familiar and humbling thing as a potato - and peeled them, then chopped them into fine slices and set them aside. Next was getting chilies, flour, turmeric, more of the salt and pepper, an onion, and some water. The onion he chopped into small cubes; the flour and spices were mixed into a bowl with some water and stirred into a smooth batter, which the potato slices were then dipped in before being liberally sprinkled with onion. Then he dumped the results in a pot of hot vegetable oil to briefly fry.

"Now back to the mshikaki."

He quickly skewered the meat, four chunks per skewer, with eight skewers used. These he set on a grilling grid on high heat, and while they cooked he retrieved the now-golden brown bhajia from the oil and set it aside on a plate. Then he flipped the skewers and waited another five minutes. All in all, the cooking had only taken him about twenty minutes to get all the ingredients and prepare the food.

"That's mine done. What have you made?"

He was curious to see what Iris had prepared for this little cultural exchange.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2020, 05:19:41 pm »

Iris, noting Vahn was making the main course, decided to make the refreshments.

The trick to making Siegbrau syrup was old and mysterious. No one knew it in her hometown, but people who had been taught it by their parents. Just as she had been taught in her parents bakery, on her fathers knee, her mother kneading bread in the corner-so she now employed the secret technique to making the perfect drink with which to toast the Sun.

But no one else would know it.

Not even you.

And a few minutes later, she pulled out the thick syrup into a jug and she began adding the rest of her ingredients-boiling water, white tea, orange juice, more cinnamon, and a generous jot of some dark whiskey she had never tasted before, but liked quite a lot.

"Voila-Siegbrau. The drink of victory! It is traditionally taken at gloaming after a day of hard battle, with the words...

"Long May the Sun Rise".

She lifted her mug in invocation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:46:10 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 73