Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423662 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In another sign that Friday must have come and gone-

WHO reports another record for global increase in new case, 292,527 on 31 July.

There's proof that that's fake news in the wording. That's just the new cases but you're reporting it as the increase in new cases, which should be the difference between the amount of new cases yesterday and today, which it clearly isn't. That's either the increase in total cases, or the number of new cases, not the "increase in new cases", and you've also given the game away with "increase in new case" which is clearly singular, not plural.

Can't keep your story straight I see #plandemic
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:49:08 am by Reelya »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

So, the derivative of the total number of cases.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Australia's infestation with Sovereign Citizen morons is getting worse:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-antimasker-meeting-in-melbourne-shut-down-by-police/news-story/82d32265f60c7ab72ac159d2c469661d

The Herald Sun reports officers smashed in the window of a young female driver’s car around 6:30pm after she refused to speak to them.

They briefly arrested the woman, before letting her go a short time later.

“Excuse me, this is unlawful,” she protested.

All coming from someone who has a website that says if you don't acknowledge legislation then it doesn't apply to you.

Mind you, Australian sovereign citizens have our own unique flavor, the main difference is the appeals to Queen Elizabeth and/or the Magna Carta, along with other stuff you wouldn't find with US sovereign citizens. "for your law to apply to me, you personally need a signed letter from Queen Elizabeth! Do you have such a letter, or am I free to go?"

https://youveenteredlawland.com/freeman-on-the-land-australia/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:01:37 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

So they think the queen is responsible for, and has power over, the 16 commonwealth states?

Because Lizzy in Britain technically has the power to do politics, but if she ever exercised it, would likely spell the end of the royals.

She’s a figurehead, da’s it.

Fakeedit: why are these people going to court if the court’s job is to apply the laws they don’t agree with
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I got a couple of them on the phone actually when I worked for the tax office. Guys who asked me whether I personally had a signed authorization from the Queen to be calling them up to do reminders that their tax returns were overdue, because we were calling from a third party contracted to do so. One guy held this was against Commonwealth law because the Crown needed to authorize us to contact him.

Have I got news for him: when you call the Tax Office, those inbound calls are also handled by people employed by our company, not the tax office.

And these people would specify that they're going to call into the tax office to talk to a "real" Tax Office person. Yeah, ok we have to legally say we're calling from <Company X> on behalf of the tax office, but if you call into the actual tax office, they just work for us but in a different office. "Our" office got closed because of Covid however, and a lot of the "pretend" tax office people, that so offended the sovereign citizens, got transferred to work at the "real" tax office, because they've basically outsourced everything already to the same people. So it really came down to which room you're in whether you were legally allowed to say you're the tax office or <third party> on behalf of the tax office, they're all actually the same people with the same systems and training.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:24:41 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

It’s a bit bananas they expect the queen to not be able to delegate tasks to other people, including the task of delegating tasks.

She’s 94 ffs
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, the derivative of the total number of cases.
It does not need to be the derivative (d/dt, the 'instantaneous' value) but any agreed metric of the rise (or fall) in the rise (or fall) of the weekly figures, or monthly figures, or each week's figures covering the last month, or each day's figures that cover the last rolling week-or-month... Which, for the same underlying trends, would all be different values.

Whatever, if you wanted to do it, best that the covering period is no less than a week. And maybe if you plot the rate-of-change-of-rate-of-change of the weeks, per days in the week (7) and the ROCOROCO the months, per days in that month (calendar length, or have used 4xweeks from the start) it would give the derivative-like trends..?

Maybe I'll see if I can get a dataset on the raw data (of some kind, ideally with informatiin on any back-dated adjustments).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yea it's kinda strange, my country has more reported cases now than it did in March/April when we were under full lockdown, yet nobody is even talking about reinstating it or doing anything than the most token and useless things like limiting bars to close at 23:00 (whereas it's usually at midnight). Hell even the football league is back in pretty much full swing (but without the spectators, and it's super silly considering a lot of the recent cases can be traced back to football players getting it and then spreading it on at practice).

Seems like everyone is past giving a shit at this point. Even at my workplace, they reinstated face masks again but after two weeks of suffering under one I stopped bothering because other than me there was like 1-2 other folks who were wearing them properly.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(but without the spectators, and it's super silly considering a lot of the recent cases can be traced back to football players getting it and then spreading it on at practice).

Why is that silly? The only reason that a lot of the cases can be traced to players rather than spectators is precisely because there are no spectators. If there were spectators then there would be about 50,000 times as many cases related to spectators rather than players.

So, yes, keeping the sport going but on TV is a reasonable compromise between having no sports and having stadiums be giant virus incubators. The largest stadiums can hold about 100,000 people, and there are approximately two dozen players in the game. Saying that because "a lot" of those two dozen players are getting infected then it's silly to keep the 100,000 other people out doesn't make any sense. Even if all the players in every game got Covid infections, that would still be far less than the number of infections per game if they had spectators.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:23:15 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

The problem isn't just the bloody players getting sick and you know it, because running a game of any size takes way more than the 44 players that kick the ball around. They're restarting a league when it's been clearly shown that doing so will cause a noticeable increase in cases. This is fucking football, not an essential service for fucks sake. But hey, it'll be an interesting league when most of the teams are out because they don't have anyone left who's able/allowed to compete.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Depending on how you slice it, "SportsBall" (ahem) could be considered an essential social service.

Without it, you end up with reduced social capacity to diffuse in-group/out-group tension in a harmless manner, which then leads to increased negative outcomes from social isolation.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Sportsball is not required for that, there are many online games with teams as well that would function similarly without the risk sportsball has.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're not taking humans into account NG. Things are not interchangeable in that way.

By "function similarly" you actually mean "function completely differently". You can't just replace US football with League of Legends because both have teams and tournaments. Reality just doesn't work like that and you're completely disregarding actual humans in your statement.

The point is that the existing sport is the essential thing because existing people follow it. It's the social institution that matters. The similarities to online gaming are extremely superficial here, because those similarities aren't the important thing that we're trying to preserve by maintaining the sport. Cancelling sports because eSports are a "substitute" is like cancelling religion and saying to watch some fantasy movies instead since those have gods in them too. It's not going to go over well and it misses the point of why religion is a social institution, and watching a movie about a completely fictional religion isn't the same thing as having a religion. Similarly, group sports are about more than watching people play a game on TV, they're about tradition and community and identity. You can't just make up a bunch of computer games and say "you want sports, well there you go! what's your problem?" and expect that to actually work.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:26:11 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depending on how you slice it, "SportsBall" (ahem) could be considered an essential social service.

Without it, you end up with reduced social capacity to diffuse in-group/out-group tension in a harmless manner, which then leads to increased negative outcomes from social isolation.

Beer and circuses, yes.

Still not wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 459